Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RelID - port question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trillithium

Technical User
Dec 9, 2000
NL
Hi,

I've been trying to solve a bit of a problem with an asp page. There is a query that isn't relayed by our company's proxy server, but it is accessable using a regular dialup connection. The url that causes the problem is:

./ZoekMedewerker_resultaat.asp?nextASPPage=EBStatement.asp&app_name=AMEV&orgid=144&RelId=79&OrgCode=Zoetmulder%20Efficienc&soort=WG

But when we change the RelId to "80" the page does work. So the question is what does this RelId do??

btw:
- Port 80 is proxyed, while 79 isn't.
- Some other links containing RelId=XX {XX=/=80} also do work.

Cheers Vis

Port 80 is the http port for TCP. This port is almost always open, and so that's why it's working on that port. 79 is more than likely locked down by the firewall, so if you have to use it, you'll have to open that port on the firewall (not a good security decision, unless there's more information that you haven't posted).

penny.gif
penny.gif

Hi,

I know port 80 is the http port in TCP/IP. I was just wondering if this asp string does indeed force the browser to port 79. That's because I've found other pages with the RelId tag set to different ports and they seem to work fine. I don't know much about asp myself, so I was wondering if the RelId is really used to desginate a port.

Opening port 79 to the internet is not a viable option btw.

Good grief. I'm sorry. Still wiping the sleep out of my eyes this morning.

RelID is just a querystring parameter and doesn't in any way shape or form change what port you're communicating on. You'd have to have done all that plus :79 on the end to actually force the port, otherwise, you're working on 80 (which you've said you already know) ;-)

So, the question is what error message you are getting... what page is it coming from? The page you are sending to or what? You must be doing something with that parameter on the calling page, and that 79 must be throwing it off.

Post the error message so we can diagnose further.

penny.gif
penny.gif

Okay, here is the error I get when performing this query:

Transfer Aborted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfer was aborted for unknown reason. Retrying the request may work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proxy server at proxy. on port 80

===
the source code for the asp page was:

<html>
<head>
<title>Zoek Medewerker</title>

</head>

<link href=&quot;_default.css&quot; rel=&quot;stylesheet&quot; type=&quot;text/css&quot;>
<script language=&quot;javascript&quot; src=&quot;focus.js&quot;></script>
<script language=&quot;javascript&quot; src=&quot;ebes.js&quot;></script>
<base target=&quot;_self&quot;>
</head>

<body >
<table width=&quot;75%%&quot;>
<tr>
<td>
<form name=&quot;0&quot; method=&quot;post&quot; action=&quot;./ZoekMedewerker_resultaat.asp?nextASPPage=EBStatement.asp&app_name=AMEV&orgid=144&RelId=79&OrgCode=Zoetmulder%20Efficienc&soort=WG&quot;>

<table border=&quot;0&quot; align=&quot;left&quot; cellspacing=&quot;2&quot; width=&quot;100%&quot;>
<tr>
<td width=&quot;40%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot; valign=&quot;bottom&quot; nowrap > Voornaam </td>
<td width=&quot;30%&quot; nowrap valign=&quot;bottom&quot;>
<input class=&quot;kleininp&quot; onFocus=&quot;FocusInput()&quot; onBlur=&quot;BlurInput()&quot; type=&quot;text&quot; name=&quot;voornaam&quot; size=&quot;16&quot; value=&quot;&quot;>

</td>
<td width=&quot;30%&quot; nowrap valign=&quot;bottom&quot;>&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width=&quot;40%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot; valign=&quot;bottom&quot; nowrap >Achternaam </td>
<input class=&quot;kleininp&quot; onFocus=&quot;FocusInput()&quot; onBlur=&quot;BlurInput()&quot; type=&quot;text&quot; name=&quot;achternaam&quot; size=&quot;16&quot; value=&quot;&quot;>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width=&quot;40%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot; valign=&quot;bottom&quot; nowrap ><div id=sofisleutel> Sleutel </div></td>
<input class=&quot;kleininp&quot; onFocus=&quot;FocusInput()&quot; onBlur=&quot;BlurInput()&quot; type=&quot;text&quot; name=&quot;sofi&quot; size=&quot;16&quot; value=&quot;&quot; onMouseOver=&quot;sofisleutel.innerHTML='Sofinummer'&quot; onMouseOut=&quot;sofisleutel.innerHTML='Sleutel'&quot;>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width=&quot;40%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot; valign=&quot;bottom&quot; nowrap >Personeelsnummer </td>
<input class=&quot;kleininp&quot; onFocus=&quot;FocusInput()&quot; onBlur=&quot;BlurInput()&quot; type=&quot;text&quot; name=&quot;personeel&quot; size=&quot;16&quot; value=&quot;&quot;>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width=&quot;40%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot; valign=&quot;bottom&quot; nowrap >Sorteer volgorde </td>
<select id=&quot;sorteren&quot; name=&quot;sorteren&quot; class=&quot;selectie_box&quot; size=&quot;1&quot; >
<option value=&quot;1&quot;> oplopend (A-Z) </option>
<option value=&quot;2&quot;> aflopend (Z-A) </option>
</select>
</td>
<input class=&quot;button&quot; type=&quot;submit&quot; name=&quot;knop&quot; value=&quot;Zoeken&quot;>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td nowrap align=&quot;right&quot; valign=&quot;bottom&quot; width=&quot;40%&quot;> </td>
<td width=&quot;30%&quot; nowrap valign=&quot;bottom&quot; align=&quot;left&quot;></td>
<td width=&quot;30%&quot; nowrap valign=&quot;bottom&quot; align=&quot;left&quot;></td>
</tr>
</table>

<input type=&quot;hidden&quot; name=&quot;OrgID&quot; value=&quot;144&quot; >

</form>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><br></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>

</td>
</tr>
</table>

</body>

</html>

====
The essence is that it DOES work when RelId=79 is changed to RelId=80.

thanks,

Vis

Well this definitely jumps out at me.

You have specified the method of your form to be &quot;post&quot;, and then assign all those querystring variables to your action, implying a method of &quot;get&quot;.

So I guess I'm just missing the point... this error message appears when you press the &quot;Submit&quot; button, right? So my guess is that the error message is actually coming from the

ZoekMedewerker_resultaat.asp

page, rather than this page, which is where the request is originating from.

Also, you say when you execute the query, but I see no query on this page, so it must originate from the called page.

Just for giggles, you might try adding an extra period in front of your action. Normally, the syntax is ../ instead of ./

I know that still doesn't explain why your 79 is throwing things off, but since this isn't the code that's using it, then I don't think we can know from what you have posted.

keep it coming. :)
paul
penny.gif
penny.gif

Thanks for the answer,

About the ./ and ../ , I guess they ment to call for the file in the same directory, rather than the above one.

I'm not the one in control over the site, but I can order\ask for changes to be made, if needed. I was confronted with this problem because I manage one of the proxy servers (on the side) , and &quot;they&quot; wondered why it didn't work.

I haven't got a clue about asp, but someone here does, and he recommended this forum. So the question remains:

What is the function of RelId ??
Simple as it seems, changing the number 79 to 80 in the url solves the problem... It's more a question of curiosity then functionallity.

Cheers Vis

One addition after reading about the query being done in a different file:

From the url
the search button is pressed, which leads to:

That isn't proxy-ed (so it seems). But when RelID is changed to 80, so it becomes:

Then it DOES work. If I then replace the 80 with 79 again, it still works!! So now I'm completely lost.

Note: It all works fine when the proxy is bypassed.

What is the function of RelId ??

That depends completely on how it's being used on the called page. It has no other function than to specify the value of the user-defined variable 'RelId', and that variable will be used on the page where the action of the form points to.

On that page, you should see something like:

request(&quot;RelId&quot;) OR request.queryString(&quot;RelId&quot;)

and the result of that statement will be assigned to some variable, or used in some way, which seems to be what is causing your problem.

Simply passing it in the queryString of the URL is NOT what is causing your problem. It's what's being done with it on the called page that is the culprit.

Take a look at that page, and see what's being done with it and let us know.

:)
paul
penny.gif
penny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back