Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert (new) records in a table => question about the inputscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

leifoet

Technical User
Jan 31, 2016
BE
I use two forms : input + entry
form input => e.g. input a Name
form entry => create new record with the Name in table A (with form inmput : method="post" action="form_entry.asp">

Is it possible while inputing the name to get (to see) in the same input form also the e-mail address -corresponding to the Name- from table B ?

I have no problem to create a list with data-combinations from (table A + table B) with a selectionquery, after the imput, but is it possible to fix my question 'during' the input ?

Or is that completely impossible ?
Thanks for tips - Leifoet

How -on the easiest way-
(1) get the email address of the Name from Table B and to appear in the input box Name in nput

how to apply your (theoretical) approach in effective or practical / operative HTML code

For that you need to understand javascript or maybe DOM scripting preferably, because AJAX does not tell you how to display the returned data, only how to retrieve it from the server or send data to the server, though for sending a lot of data using POST directly is simpler from a coding point of view.

These next questions are not 'insulting' merely questions to ascertain how much 'hand-holding' you may need.
So with respect to javascript:

Do you understand how to write values into a particular element?
Do you understand how to create and insert new HTML elements and text in the document?

If the honest response to either of those is "No" or "Not really" then that is why you cannot make the connection from the purely theoretical to the essential practical code, but not 'knowing' something is not a 'disgrace' it simply means there is something more for you to learn, ... and that for me at least, is exciting.

[added]
Richard Feynman: I'm just smart enough to understand how little I know.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back