Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstall Web Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpwr

Programmer
Oct 21, 2003
US
Has anyone ever attempted to reinstall JUST the webmail portion of Exchange 2003? Can this be done (if so how)? Everything is working OK for me except for the web access (which used to work but got hosed somehow). I don't want to risk going through an entire installation again if I can help it.... Thanks.

Paul.

I you muck up permissions, just doing a reinstall will normally fix it. A reinstall should not alter other installed components.

Alternately, if the issue is OWA permissions or otherwise mucking with exprox or davex mappings, you can stop the SA, whack the lm\d2smb key in the metabase, and restart the SA. The SA recreates the d2smb subkey if it's missing.

I know that reinstalling *should* not mess things up but if there's one thing I've learned in I/T it's that "should" is a dirty word. Has anyone actually DONE this and had it work (i.e. fix problems without messing other things up)???

Also, if you have a second, could you translate some of the acronyms you used? I'm pretty new to Exchange & Active Directory. Thanks.

OK, first off - BE CAREFUL!

Stick the CD in and navigate to the installer. When you get to the Exchange components menu, leave everything alone except for unticking OWA. If you untick Exchange Server, instead of leaving it alone, it uninstalls it. At least that was the case with 5.5 and 2000.

Restart.

Repeat above but tick OWA.

done.

I'm not sure where you mean. When I run setup I get the "Exchange Server Deployment Tools" (with all the boxes now checked). The last one is "Run Setup Now." When I run that I get the "MS Exchange Installation Wizard" with "Component Selection" options. My options are a tree (with "None (Installed)", "Reinstall", "Remove" and "Change" as the "Action") that looks like:

-- MS Exchange
-- MS Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services
MS Exchange Connector for Lotus Notes (greyed out)
MS Exchange Connector for Novell Groupware (greyed out)
-- MS Exchange Calendar Connector
-- MS Exchange System Management Tools
MS Exchange 5.5 Administrator (greyed out)

Anyone know how to do this??? Again, I'd like to reinstall JUST the web part if possible.... Thanks.

Anyone know how to accomplish this???

Sorry I'm REALLY pretty new to Exchange.... Which option (to just reinstall the web portion)? Thanks.

Holy Cow. I have this same problem...right now! what is the fix. I dont see an option to "untick" OWA on exchange 2003 enterprise. I only have those you listed above. when i select "action: microsoft exchange" to change, the NEXT button never highlights. I am freaking out about this issue, please help!

All of the sudden my OWA started not displaying any icons or text. I dont recall changing permissions...I am starting to think it has something to do with an XML update that was applied for security.

AHH!

You don't. It's integrated. You do a reinstall of the messaging components.

Are you pretty confident that this won't hose up the other parts of Exchange that are still working correctly (i.e. have you ever done this before)? Thanks.

Paul.

I found that my paticular issue was the img folder. I had made an attempt to skin OWA a few weeks ago, but the new logos never took effect. i guess the finally did when the server rebooted from a windows update one night, and it screwed up the ability to view OWA correctly. I re-copied the IMG folder from the CD and rebooted, and not OWA seems to work. Fingers are still crossed, however!

I guess kind of.... I've been in I/T long enough to know that "should" (as in "it should work") is a dirty word. Sometimes it's just helpful to know that someone else has actually "proven" what Microsoft claims. Don't misunderstand---I'm not doubting your knowledge in any way (I obviously don't have much in the Exchange arena!)...it's just builds confidence when someone can say that they've actually done something (i.e. reinstalled Exchange without it hosing up everything else) before you. The reason I'm being so cautious I guess is that everything else seems to be working okay. The web piece is a "nice to have" but I don't want to risk the other stuff for it if I'm not pretty sure it will work. Hope that helps---thanks!

Should" be able to reinstall, using the CD. Alternatively, setup a test enviroment, "blow it up" and fix it. This would require a 450 mHz PC with 256 MB RAM and 10 GB HD. Keep in mind all of your IIS settings that need to be setup before installing Exchange (esp. in Exchange 2003). Might want to look carefully at those settings, before going further.

I have posted in a similar thread. I can access web access but when the page loads I get no graphics and script errors. I have just done a reinstall this morning and I have had no luck. Would it have anything to do with moving my logs and DB's to different drives on the server?

Here is what I did. Unistalled IIS. Reinstalled IIS then reinstalled Exchange. Everything works great now.

Rook

Okay I reinstalled Exchange and it did NOT hose my system---so that is good. Another good thing is that OWA works for ME ( mailbox), however, I can't get it to allow access for any other mailboxes even though their POP3 access works fine (note that web access for them IS enabled according to the Exchange Manager). It will usually prompt for a username/password when I use mailbox, however, the correct combination results in a "page not found" error. Any ideas on where to look? Thanks.

I have reinstalled exchange 2003 over itself to fix owa and oma. I had no problem.

Thnks in advance to all users out there who continually answer all of our questions. Although I try to answer some questions, I usually am asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back