Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

redirect incoming calls to extension to another extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwesche

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2003
US
We have an operations department that customers call in and enter extension 130 to get to your operations guys, There used to be a person and a phone tied to this extension. Now the person was moved to another deparment, the phone is now being used by another employee who needs his existing extension to ring to it. So now I have an extension that customers call into but no phone to pickup. I need that extension to ring at extension 131. I tried forward no busy but it only works when I am calling from inside. I tried from an external line and the call goes to 130's voicmail after one ring. This whole process needs to be eliminated by simply redirecting the calls coming into 130 to start ringing at 131. Help !!

One way is to create a hunt group and have both extensions in the hunt group and set FNA & FB of ext.130 to the hunt group.

How can I verify what my current hunt groups are. I imagine they are all in one hunt group. I don't know too much about hunt groups though. What I attemtped was to go into Terminals&Sets --> 130 --->Capabilities and set the FNA to 131 but the FB would not let me set a three digit extension. will your method cause the same thing.

check forum's faqs:
programming hunt groups

I'm gathering that you currently have a startalk that answers the external call, then a voice asking the customer to dial 130 for that department?

If so i can tell you how to change the voice prompt to dial 131 instead.....would that help?

Graham
graham.b@ashtelecom.co.uk
Ash Telecommunications Ltd

I have a Norstar MICS with NVM voice mail. We have a pilot line that people call in on and setup an autoattendant to answer. Our customers know to enter 130 to get to operations. We don't instruct them to dial that number.

I tried setting up a hunt group. By the way we dont have any defined with members, so i created one HG01/606. added two members 130 and 131. Then I went into Terminal&Sets for 130 and set the FNA and FB to 131. I used a cell phone to test and I am going right to 130's voicemail when I thought that would ring at 131's extension

Set FNA & FB on 130 to 606 make forward delay to minimum.
Set overflow on HG1 to 131.
I didn't try this lately but it should work.

I tried these exact steps and still when I call in and enter 130, i get one ring and then a voicemail message from the original user who used to be at 130.

The minimal forward delay is 2

Is a phone supposed to be connected to extension 130 at all times?

Change the hunt group settinf from "rotary" to sequential"
set 130 first, then 131.

That didn't work either. I still go right to extension 130's voicemail after one ring

When I first created the hung group I listed the first member as
M001:130 and the second member as
M002:131

The mode for HG01:606 I just set to Sequential and tested but still not working.

I noticed that all the Line assignments for HG01:606 are set at unassigned. They can be set to assigned or unassigned only

Here are my settings for HG01:606

Member DN M001:130 show -> ring only
Member DN M002:131 show -> Appr&Ring

Line assignments: all are unassigned

Mode:Sequential

Hunt Delay:2 (which is the lowest it will let me change to)

If Busy: BusyTone

Q Timeout:60

Overflow:606

Aux.Ringer:N

Dstnct rng: none

Set your Line assignments-sorry about missing that.
What line are you on? Make sure that line appears and rings on each set.

Well if I check out my line assigments for each DN they are set to Appr&Ring. It is only when i go into Hunt groups that I have Line assignments set to unassigned but my only other option to change it to is assigned.

I can set the member DN to appr&ring for both if that is what you mean. Additionally, I don't have a phone connected to this extension anymore. when the person left the department the desk was filled with someone else who needed their extension to ring at that phone. So extension 130 does not have a phone, is that a problem? Does a phone have to be connected at all times?

This is what I see, correct me if I am wrong. A caller hits an AA and knows to press 130 to get where they want. 130 used to ring "here" but now there is nobody sitting "here". Instead, you want 130 to ring "there". Why not swing the jumper wires and make "here" "there" and "there" "here"?

Or.....you could plug a phone set into both places, enter config, turn set relocation on, switch places with the phone sets, enter config and turn set relocation off

Because "there" is still an existing person and his mailbox. This person still needs to be able to receive voicemail and answer his own phone extension when someone calls 131. You are correct though with the first part.

No one and no phone are associated with 130. But outside callers call into our operations dept for support and know to use 130. We used to have two people in operations and 130 just happened to be the line we gave out to customers at the time when there was someone and a phone connected to ut. Now this guy is gone, and the person at 131 and his phone need to still receive those calls and his own without him having to change his.

Why not just record the greeting on 130's mailbox to tell people to dial 131?

Because the last thing a customer should have to do is listen to another automated message telling you to now enter another extension. That does not present a professional image or ourselves. No business should have the caller continue to press extension or call back and press another extension. We need to take care of this behind the scenes, sealessly. It can be done I just need some help and guidance on how to do it. Your suggestion is at best a short term remedy but certainly not a permanent one.

ok
just delete the 130 VM box and FNA and FB to 131

That did not work either. When I deleted the voicmailbox I called in and the autoattendant said that I entered an invalid extension number.

So I added the mailbox back in and had to set the password. Tried it agian and same thing. After one ring it goes right to extension 130's voicemail.

As a side not I use the phones to do the system programming but I also have the MICS hooked up to my network and am using Norstar Voicemail manager client to manage the mailboxes from my pc. I used that to delete the voicemailbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back