Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirect incoming calls to an external number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokenyank

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2011
GB
First, please forgive me in advance. I am not a telephony engineer, nor do I know much about PBX's so if my terminology or descriptions leave anything to be desired, I am sorry!

I've searched through your forums and have tried to muddle my way through online resources but I am still stuck so I hope that I might be able to find someone here to rescue me!

*The History*

We are a small independant company and have been running the same PBX system since before my tenure. 6 months ago, our IT guy left after a 'disagreement' with management and took all documentation and 'cheat sheets' with him in a fit of rage.

I was not here when the system was setup, and due to the system's age - we can't seem to get an engineer to touch it, instead all they want to do is sell us a new system.

We are running a Norstar Modular 8x24DS KSU Phone System based on description of the system, and the photo on this site
*The problem*

We have recently been bought out by a bigger company who already have a PBX system in place and it is incapibatible with ours. They've already expressed that they will not pay to have our phone number changed or re-routed, their only choices given to us is to leave our current system running and put a voicemail service on saying that our number has changed or disconnect entirely.

Being an 'end user' of other services, the first option isn't ideal as I know when I phone a company and they have changed contact details but don't re-route, instead tell you the new number I automatically get irritated. The second option is not viable in the least as our number has been the same for over 10 years and that is a lot of contacts who'd lose the ability to call us.

What I would like to do is to setup a 'forward' so that when someone rings our number, instead of it going to the voicemail solution they're suggesting, I would like it to forward to their own system and they can re-route to our new extensions over the new system.

From what I have been told before the IT guy left is we have one 'main' number servicing a 4-channel ISDN coming in to the building. An incoming call will first ring the receptionist phone, if a second call comes in whilst the receptionist is on a call, the second call falls over to another extension. If both extensions are on an active call - anyone else calling in will just ring out until one of the other two extensions terminate their active call.

*What I would like to do*

I would like to have the ability to 'forward' the two extensions so that any incoming call that normally would have come through our 'old' system, will now bounce to the new company's switchboard to be handled appropriately thereafter.

In an ideal world, I'd be able to change this from the Norstar system itself so that all 4 channels immediately forward to the new external number - but without being an engineer and my 'techy' abilities can see through a computer rebuild or making a website, I fear my telephony expertise would be found wanting to make this happen. So, my 'work around' would be to activate call forwarding on the two extensions that currently handle incoming calls to the 'old number' to automatically forward to 'new number'.

*the Plea*
Can this be done? Can someone put me out of my misery and handhold me through setting this up if possible? I'd offer my first born for the help, but as much as I like my job - I don't think my wife would appreciate giving up our child for the sake of work's phone issues! :)

Thank you in advance if anyone can help, and please accept my apologies again if I sullied your brilliant forums with my rather inept description and attempt at solving a problem!

Andy

Ironhorse threw me off, he must have meant Call Forward External with 4.1 and up.

Under Set Capabilities (reception) allow Redirect
On the reception set F84, it will aske what line, press line 1.
Then it will ask what line to go out one, press line 2.
You may want to do same with 3 with 4 in case another call comes in.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Not sure why this isn't working! :(

First video is the attempt to do as you suggested Hawks and the results...

Second video is what options I have available to me using the ADMIN login -

I have also gone in via CONFIG, but there is very little in there that makes sense to me and in Line Access > EXT 221 > Line Assignment > SCAN > Lines 001 through 006 are set to Appear&Ring, Line 173 is set to Ring Only.

in Line Pool access > Line Pool A through D are set to Y

Prime Line is set to Intcm

Thanks again for all your help - I thought I was going to be adrift - Tek-Tips, so far, you're brilliant! :)

I have no idea if this is pertenent, I am just trying to provide as much info as possible so that a solution might be found! :)

Lets get some info on the lines. Go to the phone that has the lines, do a feature * 0 press line key to identify lines if no line appearence press access code and it will give you the line. then put on hold press access code again for second line.

Buttons
Line 1 - 4 > shows L001 - L004

If press SHOW, each of the buttons say

"Not Redirected"

Following your instructions (pressing 9 to get outside line first time gives me Line 31 - HOLD - and pressing 9 again gives me Line 32

Cannot see your videos will not load up. You should be able to redirect line 1 using line 4 and line 2 using line 3.

Is there feature codes from the provider to forward the main line?

This would be easier.

I have nothing from the provider as all of the relevant paperwork left when the disgruntled IT guy left.

The videos are in .mp4 format recorded on my mobile phone.

In essence, when I try to redirect a line -

Feature 8 4

Select Line 1 (by button [Line 1] )

enter in external number

then that's where it ends... When I try to choose a line to redirect with, I get 'denied' on buttons [Line 2/4] if I press [Line 1] again, I get "Outbound number" presumably because it is the line I nominated to redirect initially.

Is there away to do a Feature 8 4 by selecting the line itself (line031 and line032) discovered doing your instructions rather than pressing the buttons [Line 1/4]? I'm assuming the mapping of the [Line 1/4] might be dodgy which is why it won't work?

Press Feature 84
Display reads "Select line out" select line out or press Intercom key and dial Pool access code
Display reads "Enter Digits" Enter number to be called.Press OK
Press your line key
Use Feature #84 to Cancel

Wow old info sure gets lost fast...

Line redirection is good to go on an 824 and 616DS and 308DS
Host signalling transfer or "hookflash" transfer is only good on ICS Rls 4.1 and higher like Curly rmembered.

Like Marv says set lines for supervision;

then on the phone to be used as the forward point, in Admin programming, set redirect = yes.

Then procede with F84 programing.

Hope this helps!
Hope this isn't a duplication of above string that I missed.
Cheers
Arrrrrrrr

"..second star to the right and straight on 'till morning.."

VVV

Make sure disconnect supervision is enabled on the lines.

I'm sorry! I'm not trying to be a pain but I can not find this setting anywhere - under what heading would I find it and with what login - ADMIN or CONFIG?

Press Feature 84
Display reads "Select line out" select line out or press Intercom key and dial Pool access code
Display reads "Enter Digits" Enter number to be called.Press OK
Press your line key
Use Feature #84 to Cancel
This gives me the same problem as what I did this morning...

All works until it is time to nominate the outbound line, at this point all lines are "Redirect denied" errors - whatever is preventing me from doing this - I hope the above suggestion of 'Disconnect supervision' will solve!

Thank you all again for all your help, I do truly appreciate it!

Logging in with CONFIG (266344) gives me the following:

A. Configuration
B. General Admin
C. Extn copy
D. Maintenance
E. Software Keys

Under Configuration I have:
1. Line Data
2. Line Access
3. Routing Table
4. Call Handling
5. Miscellaneous
6. Radio Data
7. System Data

Under Line Data, it appears to be logs

Under Line Access, I have:
Show extn#
putin 221 and I now have:
Line Assignment
ILG Assignment
Answer Extns
Line Pool access
Intercom keys: 2
Prime Line: Intcm
OLI#221

I have no "Config > Lines" and under the other headings there is nothing about "Disconnect Supervision"

Is there another login I have to use to access that setting?

Tokenyank,

Have you allowed Redirect on the extention?

B. Capabilities
- set abilities
- show
- enter set ext no.
- scroll down @14 nexts
- redirect = Yes

Must be set or line redirection won't work.

Arrrrrr

VVV

I'm now home and can't check - I may go in tomorrow to give it another go..

From memory though, in that menu - I only have "redirect ring: Y"

I will check though as soon as I can.

If the "Disconnect Supervision" is 'hiding' in a menu I haven't found yet, I'd still like to know if you wouldn't mind Marv! :)

Thanks again, hope everyone has a good weekend!

Andy

It Lives - YES! Hopefully forgotten, but certainly not gone. Work in the off-grid energy sector now. Cheers Curly.

Yank

Disconnect Supervision or DS is adjusted in

Configuration
-show/next- (running from memory)
Lines
-show-
then scroll to Supervised Y/N

Must be done on all lines in the redirect group.

A through connected redirection may not drop as fast as POTS lines if you are indeed using an ISDN to analog delivery. The lines will disconnect as they time out with no active calls.

Arrrrrrgh!

VVV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back