Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redirect Call at VM - Enter Extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adminkirk

Technical User
Sep 10, 2008
US
Hi,

On our BCM400, is it possible to setup a voicemail box in a way that the caller can leave a message or push a series of keys to dial an extension?

"Hi, thanks for calling, leave me a message or press XYZ to be transferred to...

yes you can.

Check for the settings in the Call Pilot, for the specific VM.
I have done that, but i totally forgot how is the settings.

If you can not figure it out, google it and you will find a solution.

Anyhow, it is possible.

Are you referring to "Outdial Type?" The help says this about it:

None is the default setting. If you select None, the subscriber cannot call an external number. Calls to local extensions are permitted. This setting is suitable for subscribers who do not have long-distance dialing capabilities and mailboxes that are exposed to unauthorized access.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Once I'm dialed into a mailbox, how do I get to the point of entering an extension?

Currently I dial in and I hear my greeting and push 0, it goes to the receptionist.

If I push 1, 2, 3, or 4, I get "That command can not be used at this point."

If I push 5 or 6, it skips through the message and begins record

If I push 7, I get this greeting:
Your choices are; message options 0, reply 1,play envelope 2, forward 3, reply all 4, compose 5, delete 6, print 7, send 9

If I push 8, I get this greeting:
Your choices are; mailbox options 0, login 1, greetings 2, disconnect 3, password change 4, callpilot tools 5, goto 6. To exit push number sign.

Make sure to enable "return to AA" in the general properties of Auto-Attendant then when you get a mailbox you can press * then any extension.

I've checked off "Return to Auto-Attendant." Then when I dialed in, hit my greeting, I pressed * and heard "There is no recorded message. To record a message press 5. Other commands are, message options 70, login 81, disconnect 83, and attendant 0." 0 opts out to the receptionist.

you can not dial out of your mailbox,,,,you can set up a personal target att within the mailbox,,,,you can direct the caller to dial 0 and you can pre determine where it goes.

That's because you are using the "call pilot" interface, use the NVM interface instead.Change it in your mailbox class of service.

Thanks gberger, I never knew there were two different interfaces.

I've created a new Class of Service and applied it to my mailbox, but still get the same prompts as above.

Name: NVM
Max Mailbox Msg Time: 25
Max Message Length: 3
Message Retention Period: 0
Max Greeting Length: 1
Enable Off-premise Msg Notification/Remote Notification: Checked
Retry Intervals: 5
Max Number of Attempts: 3
Enable Outbound Transfer: Checked
Max Incorrect Password Attempts: 9
Password Expiry: 0
Enable Networking: - Yes
Enable Personal Target Attendant - Not Checked (tried checking it too)
Enable Record Call: Checked
Prompt Language - Primary
User Interface Style: NVM

So "return to AA" is enabled? Then when you call from outside you dial an extension then get his mailbox and if you press * it does not bring you back to the AA?

Return to AA" is enabled. I'm calling from the outside directly to my phone (not calling a main phone line then entering an extension, just directly dialing my phone number and letting it ring to VM). * is just giving me the "There is no recorded message..." message.

If you call the backdoor then dial the extension and endup in the mailbox do you have the same result?

I think what you're looking for is the personal target attendant. This is set up in your mailbox. The caller will press 0 to get there while they are listening to your greeting. If you leave it at default, the caller will be directed to the company operator.

To set it up, do the following:

If you use the CallPilot interface:
1 Press 8 0‚ to open the Company Directory
2 Press ASST or 1 to open the Target Attendant menu
3 Press CHNG or 1 to change the Target Attendant.
The Atdt ext: oper prompt shows that the current
attendant is the CallPilot operator.
4 Enter the extension number of the new Target Attendant
or
press OPER or 0 to change the Target Attendant to the
CallPilot Operator.
5 The display shows the extension you entered.
6 End the session.

If you use the Norstar Voice Mail interface:
1 Press ADMIN or 8
2 Press 5 to open the Target Attendant menu
3 Press CHNG or 1 to change the Target Attendant.
The Atdt ext: oper prompt shows that the current
attendant is the CallPilot operator.
4 Enter the extension number of the new Target Attendant
or
press OPER or 0 to change the Target Attendant to the
CallPilot Operator.
5 The display shows the extension you entered.
6 End the session

gberger - I'm not sure what you mean by backdoor.

telcodog - Using the NVM interface, pushing 8, then 5, brings "Not Allowed" on the screen.

I noticed in one of your previous posts that you tried checking and unchecking the "enable personal target attendant" checkbox. Did you go back and ensure it is still checked and that the mailbox your're working with has been assigned this class of service? Those are the only two things I know of that will give you that result.

Thanks telcodog, that was it.

So right now I can let the higher-ups know they can change who 0 opts out to. It's still up in the air whether or not I can get it to the point of opting out and accepting extensions.

All you have to do is modify your greeting to what you indicated in your first posting.

Something like Thanks for calling, leave me a message at the beep or press 0 to be transferred to ......

The only drawback is that it can only be one extension at a time. You can't have the callers dial just a 3 digit extension number. Would be nice though.

Although I've never tried it, you might want to experiment with hunt groups as the target.

Glad it's working for you now though.

By backdoor i mean a direct number to reach your auto-attendant, then dial the extension then once in the mailbox by pressing "*" it will bring you back to the auto-attendant then you can dial "any" extension.
I don't understand why it doesnt work on your bcm, that's the way all my customers are setup and it works everywhere.
Is the bcm located in North America?

Yes, it's in North America. The number that I thought went to our AA goes directly to a skillset. Is there a way to see which line/DN the AA is set to?

Check in Call Pilot-Auto-attendant if one of the lines is assigned to "AA".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back