Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recovering a RAID-0 Array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mat6Smith

Technical User
Oct 17, 2003
GB
I have two identical maxtor 120GB SATA HDDs that are using a RAID-0 stripe set. The system temporarily lost one of the disks after a crash causing the computer not to boot any more. Having exhausted all other methods I was forced to delete the Array and create an identical one in the hope it would continie to boot. It didn't work and the message comes up saying disk boot failure. I was using Windows XP professional and I need to recover the data off the disks but I don't know if this is even possible and if so how it can be done. Would appreciate any help regarding the matter.

Regards

Matthew Sixsmith

Recovering data from RAID drives is much harder and usually expensive. You could try data recovery utilities but some don't work on RAID arrays. You should recreate the array and restore from backup. As you have learned, there is no redundancy from RAID-0. Any data, not backed up, on a stripe, should be considered expendable.

Good luck,

FredUG

This is why RAID 0 isnt true RAID. There is no redundancy and you lose everything if one drive goes bad. I hope you have a backup.

Thanks both of you - I have rebuilt the array using the same drives and it is running again. I have used a third HDD running XP to retrieve information from the old Array - Irt retrieves 100% of the information but compressed files such as MP3s and MPEGs and even JPGs have been put back together in a funny order ie MP£s skip and jump every 3-4 seconds or so. Since the Data on the array has not changed now the other disk has been brought back online I don't understand why it has not found the data - Maybe it is the Recovery software?!? Can anyone recommend any - It doesn't need to support RAID as the Array is recognised as one disk again.

Thanks Again.

i have this same issue, did you ever get an answer to what would help recover video files, i have the same issue with AVI's

Saidan Ryuuza

NOt as yet I'm afraid. Apparantley it may work if you physically swap the disks, delete the array and rebuild it as it was. If you use recovery software on it then it sometimes puts the AVIs back correctly. Didn't work for me though I'm afraid. Did you manage to get back your other files like JPGs and MP3s? If so how did you manage it? What recovery software are you using?

Hope this helps.

I just had this happen to me as well, with the exact same drives (Maxtor 120G SATA's). I'm going to try to rebuild it as you have and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back