Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record All Calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtpurcell

Technical User
Mar 20, 2004
CA
Can I record all calls(in and out)of the whole system? And make them land in 1 file on the voicemail server(not in persons mailbox)And here's the shady part, can I make it so it doesn't tell the people on the phone they are being recorded? Cust. doesn't want people(Employee's or Clients) to no they are being recorded.(Shady,I know)

Legally, I suggest you consult a lawyer.

Technically, yes it can be done. Set every extension's recording in/out to On, set the auto recording destination to a central mailbox extension created for this purpose. Then, in the system form, system tab tick "hide auto recording". Finally, in vmPro in the general preferences disable the play warning when recording option.

Peter

Definatly consult a lawyer!

In UK It is a legal requirement that a warning is played stating that calls may be recorded (not necesarily that they are)

Any recordings made without this notification would be inadmisible in court & may even result in prosecution of the company.

Told person it wasn't legal. He says he consulted his lawyer and still wants it done.Thanks for the help.

Depending on how many exts you have and how many VCM channels will dictate how many calls you can concurrent calls you can record.

I did an install for an attorney who claimed as long as one party was aware it was completely legal.

I guess he knew what he was talking about???? Either that or he's really brave

You mean 'So as long as the party doing the recording is aware that they are doing the recording it is legal" ;-) - get him to sign a letter for you accepting all liability.

That is the law in Virgina, in the US. Don't you guys remember Linda Trip.

Technically the law that governs this is determined on a federal level. The "one party of a recorded call is aware of the recording" is generally the current rule. There are 11 states that require both parties to be aware of the call recording. This does not apply, however, to an employer recording their employee's conversations as there is a provision within this law that permits any calls, including personal calls, to be monitored and recorded for general business use. The states that require two-party notifcation are:

California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Montana
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

You need to be aware that the call recording will use voicemail ports, not VCM's, so be sure to have enough resources for all call recording and general voicemail use. I would also recommend not using mandatory recording as it will prevent calls from taking place if the voicemail is not available to record. Other than that, you turn it on and thank your own boss for not being so intrusive on your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back