Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recommended Switch por IP 500 with 60 IP phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZebrAYA

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2007
CO
What switch would you recommend me to use into an IP 500 environment where 60 users will have an 56xx IP phone.
they will use the usual Internet applications such as web browsing, email, and administrative software with limitations to large downloads (set by firewall or proxy).

[Always Close your threads for avoiding other people to entangle]

Are you talking about network switch?? We use a lot of Extreme Netowrks. I see a lot of Cisco, HP and others. it really depends on what you want to spend. I have hear that extreme gives you the most bang for the buck. we have them everywhere and they work great and are easy to set up.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

A network switch indeed

It must support QoS.
And dont know what feature do you suggest for the switch to support in order to the best work with the IPO and the Avaya IP phones.

Could you give me the model of Extreme Networks you have?

Oops I forgot
Since we will use 60 Avaya Bricks, they would cost almost $2000, so a PoE switch would be a good recommendation.

We have a few different extreme's out there. I am not the one who puts them in so i dont know the model numbers. Take a look at the website.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

There are 2 models to look for with Extreme, the X450 and the X250. The 450s are Gigabit and the 250s are 10/100. The models are descriptive of the features - x250-24p is a 24 port 10/100 PoE switch, x450-48t would be a non-PoE 48 port Gig-E switch.
Although I've never implemented this particular feature myself, the Universal Port configuration with LLDP is tweaked to work very well with Avaya IP Phones, eliminating the need to use DHCP options to set up the phones, including VLANs. All the information is passed to the phones from a script the switch runs, so boot time is cut drastically.

There's also supposed to be a more entry-level model, the X150 - I do not know what features it is missing from the 250s and 450s.

Are you going to VLAN the switch? if so you'll need a layer 3 switch, we use HP procurve.

>if so you'll need a layer 3 switch,

What? Don't layer 2 switches support vlans anymore?

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

There are Layer 2 switches that support VLANs, but being layer 2 you cannot route between subnets.

>but being layer 2 you cannot route between subnets

Correct. I am quite aware of the differences between layer 2 and 3 switches.

However, the implication left by the statement

Are you going to VLAN the switch? if so you'll need a layer 3 switch

is that to implement VLANs a layer 3 switch is a requirement. This is not the case, as a (most) managed layer 2 switches support VLANs.

However if, inter-vlan routing is needed either a external router or a layer 3 switch is needed. That being said the OP has not specified that this is a multi VLAN rather than just 2 vlans. As the IP500 is dual homed, no VLAN routing is needed.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

We have been using Linksys SRW224P- 24 port POE switches. Less than $500 each and easy to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back