Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Read/Write Word 2003 document changes to Read Only during Save

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmcgillem

MIS
Jun 26, 2001
US
Some of my users have been having a really weird problem with saving previously created Word 2003 documents. A user will open a previously created document which is not open by any other user. The document opens in Read+Write mode. However, after making several edits to the document and attempting to save the document, the user receives a message stating that the document is a read-only document and prompts the user to save the document to another location.

I have tried resetting the users' templates and have deleted (many times) the users' Normal.dot template. It appears that what is happening is that when the user previously closed the document from another session, the temp file created during that time was never properly deleted or closed during the previous session. When the user opens the document again, it doesn't initally recognize the temp file until the user attempts to save it.

I am unable to recreate the issue and can only troubleshoot the issue when it occurs. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this to occur? I looked at the file server and file fragmentation was at 34%, so, I defragged ther file server hard drive. Do you think that high of file fragmentation on the file server could be causing the issue?

Any suggestions or recommendations will be welcomed!

Thanks.

Hey hmc,

A couple of thoughts. How are the users opening the document? Are they actually opening a template?

Second, and I really don't like this one because it solves problems without explaining them:

Open a new Doc.
Open the problem Doc. and set paragraph markers as viewable.
Select problem doc from top to bottom - EXCLUDING the LAST paragraph marker.

Click Copy.

Paste into new, blank, Doc.

Close all.

See if new Doc has the same problems.

Best of luck
Don

[green]Tis far easier to keep your duck in a row if you just have the one.[/green]

Users are browsing to the document on the network and opening it. Sometimes the document is initially created with a template, but not all of them. And, different templates are involved.

I have already tried the latter suggestion and that works for that document. However, it does not prevent it from happening on a number of other documents saved in different locations by different users.

Hi,

I am having the same problem on my network, it seems to only effect one specific user, I have checked there access permissions and they seem to be ok. If I close out word completely on the workstation then I can save the file again.

Any Ideas?

I have not resolved this issue, although, it hasn't occured in a while. It seems to occur around the full moon! And, closing out of Word completely does NOT resolve the issue. The only thing that resolves the issue is deleting any TMP files remaining in the same location as the open file. So, I guess my issue revolves around why it's hit and miss with some TMP files not closing when the user properly closes the file.

Have you tried deleting their Normal.dot? That might resolve their issue.

I suggest clearing out all users Temp folders as they are probably full of abandoned files - some of which are locking files.

I'd also suggest searching the server for abandoned temp files (when all users are off the system) and deleting all those too.

Regards: tf1

xlhelp - that link applies to Win XP SP1. All of our users are running Win XP SP2 with all current updates.

tf1 - I have already cleaned up the server and ran disk defrag. Problem hasn't occurred in a while. However, there is a full moon and I suspect it to pop up again! People think I'm crazy for associating problems with the full moon, but when they only occur during the full moon, it is suspicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back