Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RDP doesn't work any longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

joblack23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
I keep getting "The system cannot find the file specified c:\windows\system32\<LANG_NAME>\mstsc.exe.MUI"

I've copied the two files mstsc.exe and the dll file from a working station but still no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Since when did this first start occurring? Is System Restore an option?

Can the system find the file mstsc.exe if you launch it from the RUN box? And if it does can you connect to another machine?

Are there any other clues in the Event Viewer?

Have you tried the System File Checker?

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7)

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

There are a few mentions of this error on Google but no obvious solution.

Are there any Permissions problems with this file or location?

C:\Windows\System32\en-US\mstsc.exe.MUI

Are the Region and Language setting correct for the machine, including Location?

Hi guys,

All these links point to XPSP3 or Vista. None i could find was related to windows 7. Checked a few things including antivirus, spyware, and files location. In fact i attempted to copy the two files mstsc.exe and the .dll file but unsuccessful even in the safe mode. Might be by design. Remoted desktop servides are run find. Shutting down and restarting loads fine.

Thanks for any further advice.

Most articles with the the Vista tag are suitable for and apply to Windows 7.

My Standard user has nor problems copying the two files you mention. Do you mean that you were able to copy the files but could not paste them to some specific location?

Have you looked at the file access permissions?

Have you tested your main problem if you create another user and test with that?

Are the settings in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Remote Settings correct? Have you tried adding your user to the Remote Desktop Users Group?

If you want to reset security use the Vista instructions in this to reset to default the security settings.

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

you might also take a look here:

Don't know if it will help or not. Also, have you tried stopping and restarting the RDC service? Note: The RDC service has a couple of dependencies, namely RPC (Remote Procedure Call) and the terminal device driver. Check those servixces as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back