Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM not showing in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

paz8473

Technical User
Jun 8, 2003
US
I have installed 8GB of DDR2 RAM in a system I just built, the motherboard is XFX nForce 680iLT, the manual says it supports 8GB of RAM and it shows up during POST but when Vista Ultimate loads and the welcome center pops up it's only showing 2.25 GB of RAM, I ran the diagnostics test on the memory and it found no issues, can someone tell me what I need to do for Vista to see the rest of the RAM? The vista system I am sending this message from has 4GB installed and welcome center shows 3.25.

paz8473

thread602-1452884

thread602-1264496

You will need 64-bit Vista to see/use that much RAM.

Tony

Users helping Users...

But doesn't Vista Ultimate 32 bit version support up to 128GB?

Only the 64-bit versions support more than 4GB of RAM. If you have Ultimate you should have both the 32-bit and 64-bit editions on the installation disc.

With Windows XP, using the 64-bit edition was asking for a whole heap of problems as there was hardly any driver support. Things are much, much better with Vista as if there's a 32-bit driver available there's always a 64-bit driver as well. If you have a 64-bit CPU you shouldn't have any problems running the 64-bit edition of Vista and it will let you use your full 8GB of RAM too, although you may have to set an option in the BIOS called 'memory remap' or something similar.

Regards

Nelviticus

paz,
All versions of Vista can be installed in either mode: 32-bit or 64-bit

As stated above, all computers running Vista in 32-bit mode are limited to 4GB of total memory. When installing the max for 32-bit, it won't show the entire amount as explained in those two links above.

When running in 64-bit mode, here are the limits:

[ul][li]Vista Basic: 8 GB[/li]
[li]Vista Home Premium: 16 GB[/li]
[li]Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate: 128+ GB[/li][/ul]

____

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

cdogg said:
All versions of Vista can be installed in either mode: 32-bit or 64-bit

Technically true, although apparently only Ultimate has both 32- and 64-bit versions on the same DVD. For other editions Microsoft will send you the 64-bit disc for a nominal fee.

Or so I'm told - I got my Vista Ultimate disc as an image from MSDN.

Nelviticus

Right, it will say on the package and definitely on the disc.

I know this is not the Vista forum, but while we're on the subject...my Vista Ultimate 32-bit DVD contains the 64-bit also, and I can uninstall the 32-bit (which I hate) and reinstall the 64-bit with the same key?

That's one thing I wished I had done differently, as I jumped on the Vista bandwagon right when it was released and there was a dearth of Vista drivers, so I waited and activated the 32-bit mid-year, only to realize the real Vista advantage was going to be from the 64-bit version. My system supports 64-bit OSes.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Good question - I'm tempted to say "yes" as the licence key does cover both versions. Personally though if I was going to uninstall my OS I'd double-check with Microsoft first!

Nelviticus

Can you use the same key on both? Yes, you can.

In fact, it works the same way in other flavors of Vista. If you had 32-bit Home Premium, for example, you would use the same key to install the 64-bit version after getting the CD from Microsoft. Activation might involve a phone call to MS and not be as smooth, but it'll work...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein

Technically true, although apparently only Ultimate has both 32- and 64-bit versions on the same DVD. For other editions Microsoft will send you the 64-bit disc for a nominal fee.

In my Ultimate box, they came on two seperate DVD's

Hey Thanks everyone, I guess I have all the info I need here, I do have Vista Ultimate so I just need to figure how to go from the 32 bit to 64 bit version.

paz8473

I bought Vista Ultimate OEM, the DVD clearly states "This disc contains 32-bit software only". [sad]

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony,
I just looked on NewEgg, and it appears that the OEM version doesn't include both 32-bit and 64-bit editions. You have to pick one or the other.

However, the retail version of Vista Ultimate does.

~cdogg

Just a little rant against Microsofts License model.

Search on Newegg for Microsoft OS gives:

Basic (3)
Business (7)
Home (9)
Premium (3)
Professional (4)
Standard (4)
Ultimate(5)

Now I know some of these are XP and some are Vista, but the point is, once again they have renamed everything!

We have OEM, retail, and upgrade versions.

And now we also have the 32/64 bit choice. That is at least 3 more versions, I think.

I am not a mac fan, but how many versions of there os do they have? Oh, that's right 1. Or to be a fair comparison, 2 Tiger and Leopard.

Lots of choices isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you go to buy a car or a pizza you also have a large number of choices, but that doesn't seem to bother most people.

If it annoys you, rationalise it this way: Windows Vista Ultimate is the 'proper' version and costs a fortune. For those who don't want to shell out that much, they can buy cut-down versions for less money.

Regards

Nelviticus

Sorry this is going of topic, this will be my last post on the issue.

MS is free to market anyway they want. My point was most people, including this gentleman, may buy the incorrect version as it is not clear exactly what you are getting. The way MS is doing this is just confusing.

I agree some choice would be good, just not this much.
MS is already bing sued for the Vista Capable marketing and most everyone agrees that Vista Basic is junk.

There should be a Home version and a Business version.

If you want Ultimate you should be able to add it to either home or business. It is (or should be) just a bunch of applications and features added to the same core OS.

One last word on this topic:

Vista 32-bit OEM is $172.99 (the one I bought)
Vista 64-bit OEM is $179.95
Buying both costs $352.98...

...while Vista Ultimate Retail is $404.98...

I know there are limitations with OEM like only installing on one PC, no MS support (big whoopee there!). I still think OEM is a way better value for power users, even having to buy two OEM DVDs to get similar functionality as the retail version costs less.

Ya know, it's hard to put a price on "official" MS phone support...especially when MS email support is still free.

I much prefer dealing with MS cert-holders & reps here, they are magnificent ambassadors for the company, and I mean that in a very sincere way.

Tony

Users helping Users...

wahnula said:
Vista 32-bit OEM is $172.99 (the one I bought)
Vista 64-bit OEM is $179.95
Buying both costs $352.98...

...while Vista Ultimate Retail is $404.98...

Not to mention that when you buy 2 OEM discs - you get two OEM licenses. I wonder if it's possible to use a 32-bit OEM license key with the 64-bit disc.

Wait a minute, are you guys telling me that I can buy OEM licenses without buying some hardware with it?

Or are you getting them by calling yourself a VAR?

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back