Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAM not showing in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

paz8473

Technical User
Jun 8, 2003
US
I have installed 8GB of DDR2 RAM in a system I just built, the motherboard is XFX nForce 680iLT, the manual says it supports 8GB of RAM and it shows up during POST but when Vista Ultimate loads and the welcome center pops up it's only showing 2.25 GB of RAM, I ran the diagnostics test on the memory and it found no issues, can someone tell me what I need to do for Vista to see the rest of the RAM? The vista system I am sending this message from has 4GB installed and welcome center shows 3.25.

LawnBoy said:
Wait a minute, are you guys telling me that I can buy OEM licenses without buying some hardware with it?

Time was, they used to throw in a cable or such to make the deal "legitimate". But now, all retailers are selling OEM versions of Vista, XP, even Server OSes without the song & dance. You don't have to pretend to be a VAR or anything else, just pay for it, install it on a single machine, and don't plan on calling MS for anything. I build all my personal and office systems and don't see anything wrong with buying what they're selling. It's all above board.

Unless, of course, you're being sarcastic, like the LawnBoy we all know & love. Then that would be different, and the answer of course would be a firm NO.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Years ago I used to be a VAR to get them. I even went to the trouble of incorporating and using that company name.

I didn't know they were making it easier these days. Honestly.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

A motherboard is hardware and an operating system is software. Just because your hardware supports up to 8 gigs it does not mean your software does.

Either in Vista or XP, in a 32 bit OS the operating system does not suppor more than about 3 gigs of RAM. So it is confusing that when the motherboard vendor says the motherboard supports up to 8 Megs of RAM that they dont bother to tell you this probably is only accessable from a Server's 64 bit OS.

Sorry but these are the cruel cold facts.

Here is an article by Tom's Hardware about trying to use 8 Gigs of Ram in Vista 64 bit OS:

Good Luck

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

LawnBoy said:
Years ago I used to be a VAR to get them. I even went to the trouble of incorporating and using that company name.

I didn't know they were making it easier these days. Honestly.

Funny, while we were posting about the cost of Vista the heads of MS were busy lowering the price:

...but this price break does not extend to OEM versions "which account for 90% of sales." LOL [smile]

I realize they are referring to the big OEMs, not the little guys like us. Still funny...

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back