Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Radeon 8500 lockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munkee

Vendor
Jan 18, 2002
US
I just installed my radeon 8500 AGP on my system. It boots up in normal vga video fine at first, then I install updated drivers off the ati site and the bundled software and restart. My system will boot up and windows will start but after about 3-5 min. it will lockup. I swaped it with my gforce card and everything runs fine. could it be a compatibility issue? I really want to keep this card. My specs:

P4 1.5ghz
biostar m7sxf
sis 645/961 chipset
SB audigy sound card
win2k and xp pro(dual boot, locks up in both)
WD 40Gb HD
Kingston NIC

Thnx for any help.

Hey guys, thats true... except i had a radeon 8500 le... etc as specified earlier and i have a leadman 400w atx psu and i was still having problems, not immediate lockups.. but when playing wc3... i would have reboots within a few minutes of getting into a game.. i have since replaced my card with a gf4 ti4200 and can report that i have had no problems in wc3... i had a crash once in multiplayer after playing for about an hour and a half... but i think that was due to all the stuff running in the background.

i tried out all the video card i have, playing wc3
best one i find is
GeForce 2
GeForce 2 MX440
GeForce 3 Ti500
GeForce 4 Ti4600

Choppy when i crank the resolution up
Matrox G450, G550
3DLabs Oxygen VX1

Nvidia Quadro4 750 GXL is not bad too

I don't know folks. I started out with a Radeon 7200 VIVO 64 almost two years ago. The drivers were an absolute nightmare for at least six months and practically worthless until the 6018 Beta's for Win2k which I was still using up to today.

Now, I may have made another foolish purchase in the PowerColor EvilMaster II Radeon 8500 128MG card. None of the ATI drivers work so I'm forced to use PowerColor specific drivers which aren't updated as quickly.

Why ATI's drivers aren't unified with all the card manufacturers who use their chipsets is beyond me. And the PowerColor site has a broken link to their w2k drivers which of course, is always helpful.

On top of all that, I only am getting a few frames per second better in games and my CPU and other hardware are surely up to snuff so I don't know what to say. It may be time to go back to the NVIDIA side where at least the drivers weren't such an insufferable drag to make the whole process a losing proposition.

Yes i am sorry to say this even as a Canadian, ATI seems to have all kinds of trouble with drivers, causing system to lock up and so on, the list just goes on...

at my work, i had look at FireGL card for my 5 Autodesk's 3D Inventor, and i had read up on the Autodesk's newsgroup, where tone of people have all kinds of problem with their over $1000 investment FireGL cards

so i stayed with Quadro2, now Quadro4, those engineers are ever happy, now waiting for Autodesk solve their own problem due to license on the 3D engine crap

ATI cards....I use a Radeon 8500, excellent card. I'm using it on a 1GHz T-Bird system with 512 MB PC133. I built my system from the ground up and haven't heard a peep out of it as far as incompatibilities go. The driver I use is the ATI updated XP Driver. Haven't had a single lick of trouble.

I've been staying away from all the GeForce/NVidia cards. They seem to have problems popping up all over the place. Jay [atom]

"Jeezus-sqeezits Bob!"

Hi,
I have the same trouble with the pc locking up at a random point into a q3 game. However, the video card is onboard (Sis 630 chipset) on a standard celeron 1.2 GHz machine (OS== XP). The game plays fine until it locks up and I just installed the latest drivers only to find that they made no difference. I know that a 700 MHz Duron with the same chipset, drivers and OS runs it sweet as - any ideas as to what's going wrong? Thanks

Jester

any chance you install the latest AGP driver for your mb ?

Alright everybody, i was looking for some answers on my problem and i think you guys have lead me to the answer. The ATI 8500 has a driver problem. I have just put together my new machine based on the gigabyte GA-7VRX with an AMD 1800, and 256 of DDR333. Fresh build w/ W2K Pro and the latest ATI drivers.
I can play wc3 and sof2 for about 10 min and then i am hunting the power button.
I have to agree w/ jakespeare how is this co still in business? This was my first, and probabley last ATI product. I dont want to wait for months to get the softwere that makes the hardware work.
I will be replacing my card in the next couple of days and i will let you guys know what the improvements are.
Thanks for reading to my 2 cents.

Remember:
7|-|3 w|2|_d 15 f1|_|_3d w17|-| k|-|405

My bro and i are having similar probs, and the common part is the gigabyte mobo, both of us transfered our 8500's from different mobos,asus and msi, anyway, the 8500's were working faultless before on any driver, so, like us, you need to be looking elsewhere for a fix to your problem.

This is not a ATI problem, as these cards have been around well before the motherboard.

im having teh exact same problem, with the radeon 8500 on ,my athlon xp1800+ with gigabyte 7vrx. IT locks up on high detail on dragothic and when im playing americas army it randomly restarts

ATI Radeon VE. I have recently re-installed XP on a MSI 6380E M/B, 256meg DDR Ram, AMD ATHLON 1.2 cpu. Max Payne runs, quakeIII also, medal of honor forget it. Hard lock-up, have to do hard reboot. The game loads, then freezes when trying to run it..any suggestions?

I’ve got some problems with my 8500LE 128Meg ATI card with Battlefield 1942 ...........it's hanging my system and I have to reset.......then I'm also getting corrupt text every once in a while ........I play Medal of honor just fine and the Graphics look awesome but for some reason BF 1942 will freeze in game all the time .....I even patched it and it still Froze .............I have a VIA KT-133 chipset with a Athlon 900 and 256 megs of Ram ....so I'm beginning to think my chipset and this Video card don't get along !!!!!!!! I have WinXP just FYI .....but I did have win2k previously loaded but was getting the same problem so i thought it might be an OS issue so I loaded WinXP but with no luck!!!! I’ve tried different Drivers, some old ones and the new Catalyst Drivers ….but the problem persists. Please help I seem to have hit a crossroads with this Video Card. I like ATI and don’t want to switch to Nvidia but this is really starting to get annoying!

Hi guys. Well after reading all of this I must unfourtunately add to the list of problems and not praise. New system enermax 350W ps, MSI MS-6561 mobo (sis 745) and one 256 mb samsung ddr 333 mem strip, win xp pro. Now all works fine when set to the 266mhz mem spec, but when i go into the BIOS and enable the ratio change to allow the 333mhz spec, oh boy problems...... after about 5 mins of unreal tournament, diablo ii, and age of empires the system locks up, restarts, etc. All my drivers are the latest, AGP, catalyst, etc, etc. I figure its a vid card mobo incompatibility, most likely on ATI's part. It's frustrating cuz I was really looking forward to using my system at the 333 spec. And I payed hard earned money for the card. Many would say "I told you so" for getting an ATI, well I'm Canadian and thought that suppoting a Canadain company would be a good thing. Oh well. I hope this problem is resolved with either XP service pack one or new ati drivers. As of right now im pretty disappointed with ATI, their online support is a joke. All of this automated answering stuff. Come on, we're your customers!!!! stop sending us outdated FAQ lists!!!

that's why i use Nvidia's GeForce, from GeForce 1, GeForce 2, GeForce 3, GeForce 4, Quadro 4, non give me any problem with the games i enjoy, love Age of Empires, Age of Kings, Unreal, StarCraft,

Should try WarCraft 3, it rocks no problem

I have a Radeon 8500, and it runs like a dream. I run warcraft III with full hardware acceleration (all settings high) with no performance hits. Also I deal with artwork that is between 150-300 MB in file size w/ 10,000 dpi rendering. It's not even the 128Mb card! And I've have never experienced a single lockup with everyday use. These are my current hardware specs.

Soyo K7VTA
320 W PSU
Athlon T-Bird 1GHz
512 MB PC-133
Radeon 8500 64Mb DDR
40 GB Western Digital ATA-100 7200RPM
TDK 32x24x32 (or something extremely close to those numbers)
Creative 12x DVD
52x Generic CD-Rom
SoundBlaster X-Gamer
ModemBlaster 56K
Windows XP (without service pack)

The only thing I can possibly see causing all the problems is whether the Radeon cards have a problem with system DDR. But reading back I can't even see that. Make sure you have Windows updated, current mobo drivers, current bios, and, of course, current video drivers. Other than that...make sure video settings are correct in bios and check IRQ's. Jay [infinity]
"If the words up and down were reversed, would you trip and fall or trip and fly?"

LOOK ATI!

I also have a Radeon 8500 and a Gigabyte 7VRX motherboard, and my system randomly locks up. I ALSO see wierd spurrious flashes across the screen on my card. It seems to lock up more often when listening to music...

I'm thinking the common link between all our problems is the VIA KT 333 chipset.

I am going to forward this link to ATI so that they can take a look at the problems their product has caused.

Well I have had a different problem with my jetway V266B with the VIA KT266A chipset. I installed my card and man wow
what a freak show it is an Apollo Devil Monster 2 8500LE 64MB card.
It posts all the way through fine. When it looks like it comes to the Windows ME splash screen holy cow look out. Nothin but vertical lines of color that somewhat resemble ME
colors. But I took a look at my power supply and it is crappy only 14A on the 3.3 rail just ordered a RAIDMAX with
28A on the 3.3 and 40A on the 5V rail. I also tried a different board a Shuttle MK32N the 2D is awesome go to do the 3d game thing and black screen with shutdown not even a blue screen or anything. Someone else ever experience this?
I just updated the bios on the Jetway that is suppose to help. I don't know I am just like everyone else here I don't want to RMA the dang thing because I know the potential of this card. Oh it even runs those pretty little colored lines when I am trying to use MAX BLAST (tm.) to reformat my HD. Am I doing the right thing by getting more juice to the motherboard or does it sound like total incompatibilty. I have a KYRO 4000 (1st kyro card) card in it originally runs just fine but too slow now for other games like unreal 2003.

Here is my setup
Jetway 266B Motherboard (VIA KT266A) chipset
1.2GHZ Duron Processor
256MB Kingston DDR RAM
Seagate 60 GIG HD 5400 RPM
Broadent(Creative) 56K Modem
Lynksis 10/100 Lan card
LG DVD ROM
LG CDRW 24x12x40

Well my problem with drives and corrupted video is over but on to a different problem my GPU heats up enormously when put to 32 bit color. I had it cooled off one night and tried max payne then touched the card above where the GPU socket was and I thought a mouse had gone in and was BBQ'ing on it. Friggin A. Well I am going to use the Tt Chrome orb and some artic silver try to see if thatr works.

My fix worked there wasn't enough thermal grease on it kept the orb on so I might just maybe overclock a little. With the problems I had, I experienced lock ups, distorted video and what seemd to be driver problems but it was my powersupply and the card company not putting enough silicone
grease on it. Hope this helps some of you out there just touch the card on the side where you can see the socket but not the fan or chip touch right in the center of the square made of soldered pins and feel how warm it is. Burning hot means lock ups.

AndrewB123 I have same mobo and video card and had the exact same program. I fixed it by flashing the 7.008 bios to the radeon, apparently the mobo was over volting the card. No display corruption and no crashes since i flashed the bios last month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back