Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RAD Remote Access Device Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyin

Technical User
Jul 5, 2002
US
Have an issue with connecting to Norstar 7.0 RAD. Have complex scenario, so listen up and hope I explain it so you understand....

1. The RAD Target Line is a DID coming in to a PRI on Option 81C PBX.

2. It routes out thru CDP over a TIE Line programmed with a DChannel to a Norstar remote site.

3. The kicker is - it hits a Cisco Router before it gets to the Norstar.

4. It connects (you get modem tone), but you do not get a Data handshake. Get a message with baud rate, it connects and then we see something like -- RAD data not available, etc.

Any one have any experience with this type of issue and especially going thru the Cisco Routers?

Thanks much!

Anybody come up with a solution on this.

I'm not sure I have a solution because I can't figure out how the Router plays role a in all of this. But if you can connect to the rad. Your half way there.

Check to make sure your baud rate is correct and your passing the correct password to it.

Update:

No, no solution yet. We can connect just fine to the RAD unit, but can't see any data. Nortel/Cisco/my Company working together with Customer now.

WDY - are you having this issue?

Tks.

Is This A Voice & Data Link

Can You Send A Fax Over The Link

Fit An ATA To The Norstar At The Remote Site.
Plug A Modem Into It.
Test The Speed Of The Data You Can Send Over The Link.
Plug The Modem Into The Rad Unit.
Test It That Way.
As There Is A Cisco Router On The Remote Site Is This A
Voice Over IP Link.
This Link May Only Work On Voice Calls As The Cisco Can Run Voice Calls Down To About -8k.
If The Clock On The Link Is Set To Free Run You Cannot Send Data But You Can Make A Voice Call.

Hope This Is Some Help
Chris

Yes, this is a voip connection that emulates t1/pri on both ends (G711-ulaw on B's Clear-Channel on D's). Fax machines work fine on ATA devices. In fact we can connect to RADS fine internally...I can connect at 19200. I can also connect from the same CO. Leave the CO and it wont handshake. I am using NRU 11.0. I have also tried NRU 10.0 without a difference. Units are set to clock from line.

Here is the scenario:

CO--Nortel 81C(4.5)--Cisco 3600---Cisco 2600---Norstar 7.0

Is The Rad Software Up To Date. ( ISDN Fault On Old S/W )

Just A Test
Fit A Modem To The Port On The Rad Were You Plug Your PC In
Plug Into Line Or ATA.
Dial The ATA Or Line Number.
If Your Fax Modem Works OK. It Looks Link The ATA Modem Is Faulty. Or You Have A Control Fault CTS RTS DTR Ect.

Chris

Are you saying to hook up a modem to serial port on RAD and dial in through modem? I am confused with your post. I am not accessing rad through ATA. Maybe I am reading your reply incorrectly.

Yes Hook The Modem To The Serial Port On The Rad Unit.
This Will Prove The Link Works.
The ATA Is Just A Way Of Accessing The Lines On The System.
You Will Then Bypass The Internal Modem In The Rad Unit.
If You Can Talk To The Norstar In This Way.
It Will Prove The Fault To The Modem In The Rad Unit Or The Way The System Uses The Modem In The Rad Unit.

Is The Rad Unit A New Type ?.
Download The New Software From The Nortel Web Site.
Ref: ISDN Faults.

Sorry To Confuse You.

Chris

I would suspect that it is because of the VoIP solution you are using. Most modems cannot connect over a VoIP line. However, faxes can by using a special codec.

As a test, I try getting a modem to connect from the Norstar side. Take your laptop and connect to your ISP via dialup. Pretty much what NorstarTechChris said.

Norstar & Vodavi phone systems and network cabling in Gainesville & Ocala Florida

I wish it was that simple. It is not a VOIP issue. We are able to communicate over modems just fine. We have always been able to communicate over modems.

If it was a VOIP issue we would not be able to communicate at all. We can communicate to anything connected to 81C and anything connected to a Siemens switch at local central office. Vendor has ordered testeing equipment to see what is coming accross PRI's internally and on external PRI's

What is the error displayed or symptom exactly? does it hang? get error code? what?

Is it a FAST RAD?
Have you hooked up dial tone to the Norstar and test/dial in that way to see if the RAD is at fault yet? if works with dial tone to site then your problem is not Nortel equipment.

Also, NorstarTechChris asked if this was a new RAD or had it been updated with the update. There was an issue where RAD's would not pick up on target lines.

And ditto what curlycord said. Try it was a CO lines. I'm assuming you have some copper lines my 911 routing.

Norstar & Vodavi phone systems and network cabling in Gainesville & Ocala Florida

Copper lines work O.K...However, copper lines change the whole scenario. (Trunk Card) PRI's are not used and the copper POTS lines come from a different phone switch in CO.

You Have Proved You Can Dial Into The System Over The Rad.

Wire An ATA To The Norstar System. IE: Extn 4912

Norstar Site
Use One Of The Copper Pots Line To Dial Out With Your Laptop PC

Dial XXXXX XX4912 ( Public Network Line )
You Will Be Routed Over The Option 11c PBX.
Over The Tye Line ( Lines That Link The Sites )
From The Tye Line Into The Norstar.
The Norstar Will Route The Call To The ATA Extn 4912.
Plug A Pot Phone Into The ATA Socket ( Test The Routing ).
If You Can Make A Voice Call OK.
Unplug The Phone.
Plug A Modem Into The Socket.
Plug A Spare PC Into The Modem

Dial The DDI Line On The Option 11c XXXXX XX4912
Send A File At 9600 Etc.
If This Works OK ( You Can Send Data )

Unplug The RS232 Lead From Modem. ( Plugged Into The ATA )
Plug A Lead From The Modem Into The RS232 Port On the RAD Unit. ( You Will Need The Pin Out )

Dial The DDI Line On The Option 11c XXXXX XX4912

Test The Link

If This Works The Modem On The RAD Unit Will Not Control The Data Over The Link.

Look At The Data Speed Over the Modem.

This Is A Bit Of A Long Way Round Fixing The Fault.
But With A Modem Plugged Into The RS232 Port You Have More Control Over The Link. ( You Can Send Data Without Flow Control Link The CTS With The RTS Etc In The Plugs On The RS232 Lead ).

Hope This Is Some Help
Chris

Chris, we have proven all 18 RAD's initialize/ handshake with a "standard analog POTs line".

We can also dial out from central location of the 81c, across DID's/ Target Lines, and all 18 of the RAD's function/ initialize, properly.

The issue seems to becoming from other CO's outside of local "Siemens" CO & with LD carrier codes,ie MCI?

Can You Use The Link To Send Data With Modems.

I Can See You Have Made It Work With A Direct Line.

As It Works Over The Voip Link.

From What I Can Gather The Problem Come When you Come In On The ISDN ( Into The Option 11c ) Then Go On To The Voip Link & Into the Norstar.

Just Needed To Test To See If You Can Send Data Over A Modem ? Or Is It Just The Modem On The Rad That Is At Fault

Chris

have tested with modem, heiroglyphics is all that I see with Hyper terminal?

This Looks Like An Inter-Network MUX Fault

If The Networks See This Call As A Voice Call.
It Will Be Compressed By The Network.

As This Is On All 18 Sites

Can You Talk To Other Modems On The Remote Site ?
In The Same Way IE Dial Up

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back