Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R7

Status
Not open for further replies.

telprog

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
I have got 2 out of about 10 R7's with a bad port out of the box failures, It's not a problems as they are replaced promptly but I was just wondering if any of you have had the same problems with the R7's

A trusted source for years.

Depending on your customers' needs, you could use brand new R6 processors. There are still bunches of them out there.

Avaya has not responded to my E-mail concerning the high out of box, or soon out of box, failure rate of station ports on the R7.

It still looks like Celestica is having quality control issues with this new revision processor. [Mad] Maybe it's time for Avaya to either start building it's own products, or look for another company to outsource the work to. I'd hate to see the Partner ACS end up on people's "Stay Away From" list. [Sad]

Well out of the 1 Location I installed one at The first one Ext 12 did not work out of the box (the backlight lit though) On the replacement All of the extention ports Died after 3 days.

The company I was subbing for ended up sending them an R6 and it has worked since.

Don

I have heard so much about the problems with the R7, I can't wait.I have installed over a dozen without any problems.The last couple of installs I took an extra card just in case.It would be to much trouble to bench test every R7 before the install. I haven't had any problems other then the Led staying red on one unit after it was powered up.When I went back it was corrected.
The only complaint I have is the ports are very difficult to unplug the RJ11 jacks

I did another R7 today. No problems, watch when I don't take the extra card with me,I'll have a problem.
My question today is am I doing something wrong or is it difficult to open and close the 5 slot carrier.Im always afraid of opening the cover on the carrier while the system is on.A couple of times the main card got caught on the cover and got unpowered. I find I have to be very careful removing the cover

Hi mmico,
The covers are hard to close. It helps to pust the harness / cables on slot three to one side while closing the cover.

I am just installing my first R7. It doesn't go into production until Jan, 07, 2005. I am going to spark it up on the 29th when I finish the install and let it run. All the ports on my replacement card are good (I'm taking a spare with me).
-Chris

Yeah, those covers on the new 5 slot are not their best effort. I almost prefer to leave them off and actually covers were not even supplied when the new carrier was first introduced. Almost like they were embarrassed to have people use them then somebody decided that they needed to do something with the warehouse full some idiot had already ordered. Free cover with every carrier, and that's about what it's worth!

I only hope they run out soon so we'll have an excuse not to use them. Better yet go back to the drawing board.

-Hal

If the sub-enclosed area that houses the front cover's set-screw were made smaller, the cover would be less likely to catch on the processor.

It looks like that sub-enclosed area catches on the front of the ACS processor and ever so slightly lifts the end of it up.

I sure hope that I don't end up dislodging an ACS processor when removing a cover anytime soon. [purpleface]

Hi Dexman,
Never had that happen yet. I've installed too many to count so far. Mostly withthe 3 X 8 processors.
-Chris

I have installed three R7 units, all in the 5 slot. I had one bad port, and here I thought I must have somehow screwed up and let the smoke out of that port myself. I had dial tone on the pair as well. The replacement was out the next day on site, I swung by and installed it.

As a rule we try to do project management up front, and program in the office, or home. Then slap it on the wall, and cut it over on install day. Testing the ports in house with enough time to get an advamce replacement before the install if issues are found. It works well, the customer likes it, the cut is quick and install efficient when it is pre-programmed. We return one time within 30 days for changes included in the install price. We do not do changes on install day which are not mission critical, and the customer signs off on the project management info, before we go out. I hope I do not run into this issue again, but if I do, I hope it is in house not on site.

Hi Chris,

I haven't dislodged a processor yet. The very snug fit has me taking extra care when re-installing the covers. It does look like the top of the sub-enclosed area pushes up against the underside of the cable holder on the processor when the cover is pivoted into position.

Avaya still hasn't replied to my Email concerning the elevated port failure rate of the R7.0 processors. Maybe an Email directly to Celestica might yield some answers. [ponder]

Paul

Hi Paul,
A response from the guilty party? They are probably too busy pointing fingers. QC obviously does not exist in the plant. It would be nice if Avaya did an incoming inspection, it doesn't look like they do.
I do the same when installing the covers. Did you get the first new carriers? We had a couple where the cards were very difficult to install. We sent a few back. Anyhow, I install the cover 'cause it keeps wannabe's out of the box.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

I haven't had a problem seating modules either. [smile]

The 5 slot carrier was ordered earlier this year after hearing that the 2 card mini carrier's reduced air flow may have contributed to an early port failure on an R6 processor as well as the gradual hard drive failure of a Partner Mail VS 4.1.

The current R6 processor, 012E module and Avaya Partner Messaging R6 installed in the 5 slot carrier run like a clock. I did include 2 cooling fans over the carrier to draw air through the carrier and help dissipate heat. [thumbsup2]

Paul

Hi Paul,
Only the very first 5 slot carriers were hard to install cards into. We've never had another problem. I was happy to see the new design with increased ventilation. We have not had any failures yet. The two slot carrier has alway been a problem. 0% of those sites lasted as long as a five slot carrier. Yours should go the distance.
-Chris

Hi Chris

I guess we could always hope for Celestica to identify a bad run of the R7 processors and issue some sort of bulletin through Avaya.

No matter which forum which deals with the Avaya Partner product line that you look at, the same message is repeated. Too many R7s are experiencing port failures right out of the box, or shortly after installation.

Maybe more vendors can either add to this topic, or start a new one due to this one's size, keeping all of us up to date on how the R7's they are installing are faring.[ponder].

Paul

I would like to see more on this 7.0 PROBLEM..
I'm on my 5th card to get one that will last for more than a week

Card 1 12& 13 bad
Card 2 17 bad
Card 3 12& 13 bad
Card 4 powered up for 2 days
Card 5 Station 10 noisy

These systems are in a air conditioned room with plenty of air flow and on a UPS. Have 3,308EC and VS mail in carrier.

Card #2 I still have at my office, was installed over Thanksgiving. Have not lost any further ports on this card

Avaya never responded to my E-mail. Can any suppliers that deal directly with Avaya tell us if Avaya, and/or Celestica, is/are actively looking into this problem?

On processors that have port failures, I am wondering if it is the same component that is failing. [ponder].

Hi Paul,
Our Canadian distributor has no knowledge of failures. They will if I run into problems. I am planning to install my first on tomorrow. I have a tested backup with me.

Twofeathers,
Interesting that you are having issues with the 308EC cards. I will check that also. I have a from repair 308EC that tested every second port bad (static noise). It was tested withthe R7 in an older 5 slot carrier. I will check it in the new carrier tomorrow and in may R6 box later today. I don't like the every second port bad thing. That is not a normal component failure mode.
-Chris

Well... Just installed my fourth R7 in a row with a dead extension port. :( This one was really, really bad. Before I had a chance to swing back out to replace it with one that had all of the ports working, it LITERALLY caught fire and burned up. Smoke and all. *sigh*

I usually have NO PROBLEM with Avaya and certainly not Partner. But these R7's have issues. :(

Dispensing quality rants and mishaps since 1999:

I just read an article on Avaya's website stating that Avaya and Verizon are entering into an agreement. Verizon will offer for sale Partner and IP Office equipment to companies in the small to medium size range.

It will be interesting to see if the R7 processors, installed by Avaya Global Services, experience the same problems that private vendors have reported in this and other forums.

It's also interesting to see how the pieces of Ma Bell are either trying to pull themselves back together again, or provide services to each other. (Verizon is made up of several original RBOCS while Avaya is a descendant of the old Western Electric).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back