Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R7 Advanced Edition Upgrade to R8.1 need Essential Edition?? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosdmm

ISP
Apr 26, 2012
AR
Hi, my client has IP Office R7.0 whit Preffered and Advanced Edition, CCR and VMail Pro running.
He has purchased an upgrade lic to R8.1... He needs a Essential Edition licence???

Yes you do need an essential edition license in the system.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

OK that´s a bis problem!... If I upgrade to R8.1 without the essential license then it turn back to Basic Mode or there is a time to purchase the license (90 days) ???

You could have an essential trial license at the ready... just in case the sky falls.

@telecomboy - if you're referring to trial Essential license - it certainly exists. We use them regularly.

But I cant explain it... my client has the Advanced License and now I´ll tell him that he has to buy an obsolete license!

If I upgrade, then there is a way to downgrade?? thanks

Yes with the previous version manager and a directory change in your Preferences.

Thenks overthebars! A last question... in that thread talks about a systems with Preferred Ed License but not about systems with an Advanced Ed License. Is the same??

You better learn how the product works!
This is basic stuff, advanced need preferred and preferred need essential.

BAZINGA!

No, different editions between Preferred and Advanced. Descriptions of each are in the knowledgebase. I recently upgraded a customer from 8 to 8.1. I talked to our tech support and they said all I needed was the large upgrade licence since, just as your situation, the customer had Preferred and Advanced but no Essential Edition license. What the system did is created a Virtual Essential Edition License. But as tlPeter informed us in the thread I linked, if your cabinet dies so does the Virtual License.

Indeed, you will loose it and then you probably do not have an essential edition license in a couple of minutes/hours.

BAZINGA!

Thanks for your answers, I´ve read the documentation but that was my doubt.

Hi friends, I´ve just upgraded the system from R7.0 a R8.1 and a virtual essential edition was created like overthebars said. Has this license a time of expiration???

Go back and read overthebars dude.

Inter.bmp

Kids, Kids, It's Avaya. You're both right.

Not to wade back into this, but I just cherrypicked this out of the knowledgebase under licenses:

"Upgrade Impact

Customers who already have Preferred Edition will not need to buy an Essential Edition license for their system. The Essential Edition license will be applied once the upgrade license has been applied. Customers that already have Power Users or Mobile Workers but no Preferred Edition will need to buy a Preferred Edition license for their system.

For single site IP Offices with Preferred and or Advanced Edition there is no additional impact. These customers will have no upgrade issues."

Has anyone had a system die and not been able to retrieve the "Virtual Essential Edition" license?

I'm just trying to understand what Avaya is doing and so far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back