Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Until death do us part" 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
(I just saw this phrase appear in a reply in a thread in the "...Ethics..." forum.)

Who was the "illitarut" who thunk up and popularised this convoluted tripe, which everyone seems to perpetuate in their wedding vows? Although it may not sound as "tripefully" poetic, wouldn't vows be more precise if they read, "We shall not part until death"?

Just because 50 million people say a silly thing, isn't it still a silly thing?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Or a variation: "This is my current husband". Terry Wogan would say "The present Mrs Wogan".

I have no recollection at all of what the wording of my vows was, but that was almost 28 years ago. Whatever it was, it didn't work - we've been divorced (but still friends) for over 15 years.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Slightly off-topic: one of my colleagues at work is a Chinese lady from Beijing. As a foreign national, she and her daughter need to register with the police. Who were rather confused by the fact that she and her daughter have completely different names.

It is normal for a Chinese woman to keep her own name when married - the first part of the name being the family name, of course. Her children will normally have their father's family name plus their own individual names.

This has nothing to do with women's status: it was the case in the 19th century, when Chinese women were badly off even from the viewpoint of 19th century European visitors.

Most women at work switch to their married name and send round e-mails reminding us to use it henceforth. Ladies who are not hesitant about asserting their own rights, but they have decided to stick with the European tradition in the matter.

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

When wife and I got married, we just went down to the courthouse. When a judge was free between trials, we went in to see him. He looked at me and asked if I loved her, I said yes. Looked at her and asked if she loved me, she said yes. Asked do we want to be married, we said yes, he said, "You're married."

Glen A. Johnson
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848
If you're from the Chicagoland area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

Good catch Dave! It took me a couple of minutes just to figure out what you were talking about!

Tracy Dryden

>It is normal for a Chinese woman to keep her own name when married

Actually, that is the custom in most of the world, not just Chinese.

My brothers and sisters have their very own names that bear no resemblance to the name of the father or the mother. The tradition where children and spouses take their last names from the father and husband is European.

Many other cultures are now trying to imitate the Europeans. I think it's a mistake. Each individual in any family should maintain their individuality, I think.

My niece got married in January and the vows at their wedding said " ... until we place each other in the arms of the Lord." I thought it was a beautiful twist on the tradtional!

Or perhaps "until one or the other of us, dependent on who goes first, places the other in the arms of the lord"? Cynical, moi?

No offence to kmcginn or to his/her niece, but the wording "until we place each other in the arms of the Lord" very slightly creeps me out.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Me too...I'm reading it as "until one or the other of us has had enough and places the other in the arms of the Lord via cyanide."
Maybe I'm just daydreaming about my ex, there...
Thanks!
Elanor

I'm kinda partial to "...to have and to hold in sickness and in health until I can find a saw sharp enough to cut this chain."

I tied the noose, er, knot when I was 19 and still have the rope burn to prove it... In the beginning, my ex promised me the world, but in the end, it was the judge that gave it to me...

My ex is my best friend, now... We get along better now than we did when we were married!! [love]

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

On a related subject, what do you call the day on which you were married to your ex? An ex-anniversary doesn't seem to cut it!
Thanks!
Elanor

It's still the anniversary of the date of your wedding, so you could still continue to call it your anniversary.

Tracy Dryden

[ROFL]

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

And a LOT of baggage too!

Tracy Dryden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back