Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Send on behalf of" options gives away original sender

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdArm

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2004
GB
Hi all - help requested,

I am running Exch2K on a Win2K AD domain. Our clients use a mixture of Outlook 2K and Outlook XP (or 2002, depending on how you see it).
We have a mailbox we use for sending emails to people applying for positions here called recruitment. We can delegate 'send on behalf of' rights to users and we do, primarily to our head receptionist and our HR Manager.
What we are finding is that when our head receptionist sends an email using the delegate function (the 'From:' field in Outlook), from the 'recruitment' user, it tags the message it sends out as sent on behalf of recruitment but from her, i.e. Jane Doe on behalf of Recruitment'. Even more so, when the [disgruntled, rejected] applicants hit the 'reply' button in their mail client, it brings up her direct email address, so these guys can [and do] mail her back.
I have delegated rights to the likes of myself to send on behalf of the same mailbox, and it works with no errors. I've compared her user setup to another user who i know can send these mails in the manner we wish for them to be sent. Virtually identical. I have upgraded her version of Outlook from 2K to XP. Still no joy.

Anybody got any ideas?

Rgds

ColdArm

I think you're confusing SEND ON BEHALF with SEND AS. SEND ON BEHALF is sending a message, from yourself, on behalf of someone else. But SEND AS is as if it's coming from the other user.

It sounds like you're looking for SEND AS rights, not SEND ON BEHALF

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Okay, so help me out here; why is it that when I add myself to the mailbox to send on behalf of that particular mailbox, I am able to send a mail as if I am that user, but when I do exactly the same for our receptionist, it sends the message as 'Jane Doe on behalf of Recruitment'?

Thx in advance

I am indeed, Zelandakh, but in order to make this a like-for-like comparison, I put her in the same security groups as me, thus presumably giving her the same rights as me. However, it still didn't work. Perhaps I should have mentioned that before - to quote the phrase of our estranged Generation X; my bad.

Any more clues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back