Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Please wash your hand's" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotfusion

Technical User
Jan 20, 2001
GB
I dunno.
I know my spelling and grammar is somewhat short of perfect, but at least I do try to improve when certain shortcomings are pointed out to me.

So how is it that a professionally made sign located in a public toilet sported the legend:
"Please wash your hand's"?

That would be a sacking offence in my book - surely if you employ a person to produce possibly thousands of signs like this, you'd expect them to not fall for that basic punctuation error?

I see other examples where I shouldn't, for example in news papers and leaflets.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:
My home page

Failblog.org is full of a million of those. :)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Perhaps it was an intentional error. I know it would have drawn my attention and thereby reinforced the message.

I once saw a sign in a men's room that read: "We aim to please. You aim too please."

It honestly amazes, and disgusts me, how many don't wash their hands after using the toilet. I have even had conversations with supervisors letting them know that they need to have a generalized conversation with their group about this subject, hoping that the offending party will get the message without being personally embarrassed.

... and washing your hands, as any hospital will tell you, is the #1 way to prevent the spread of illness.

I'm almost OCD about hand washing. I wash my hands after the bathroom, before I handle food, after I handle food, between handling different types of foods, after loading the dishwasher... I should have stock in some soap company. lol

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Greg,

I'm surprised at you.

Surely OCD can't be right. Surely its CDO.

Surely it ought to be alphabetical?

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Maybe they left out some important verbage, like...

Please wash your wiping hand's surface.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

...and it continues

Please wash your wiping hand's surface, which, in 99% of occurrences, results in washing both hands' surfaces.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

A soldier and a sailor are discussing this subject.

The solder says:
"In the Army, they teach us to wash our hands after using the urinal."

The sailor says:
"In the Navy, they teach us not to p*** on our hands!"

Randy

Fee:

Sometimes I think I suffer from ADOS.

"Attention Deficit.... oooh! shiny!"

Just my 2¢

--Greg

We were travelling through the Las Vegas area one time when we stopped for a meal at an <Un-named fast-food restaurant>. While using the men's room, one of the uniformed workers finished his "business", then proceeded directly out of the lavatory and returned to the kitchen.

I marched directly to the manager and related what happened. The manager's reply was (pointing to a device in the kitchen):
See that machine over there? That's a special industrial hand sanitizer. Our workers use that before returning to their work.
I responded:
That's fine and dandy, but we customers in the men's room neither see the machine, nor see him using the machine. As a result, I'm sure you have lost many customers by your workers not using both the sink in the restroom (where we can witness their hygeine), then the sanitizer in the kitchen.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Tim said:
...microbiologist...
They're the biologists that are shorter than 5 feet tall, right?

[santa]Mufasa
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I once worked at a hotel in the maintenance department. I was called to the office of the kitchen manager who proceeded to hand me the longest pair of kitchen tongs that he had, and a black plastic bag. The mission was to clear a clog in a toilet caused by an over sized deposit and excessive paper usage. I was told to make sure that NOBODY sees me use the tongs and to carry them back in the plastic bag and place them right in the dish sanitizer.

Yes, the went in the sanitizer, 3x, before going in the dirty dishes pile.

Really makes we want to eat at restaurants.

Sorry, HotFusion, that only about three posts into your thread (about the grammatical illegitimacy of &quot;Please wash your hand's&quot;), we got off into the weeds (topically) and have not returned yet.

Back on track now...I have noticed widespread inability of English writers to understand the proper places to use (and not to use) &quot;apostrophe's&quot; &lt;grin&gt;

[santa]Mufasa

You can always tell a microbiologist - they are the guys that always wash their hands before going to the toilet."

Three comments:
This particularly applied to IBM CEs who worked on 402s, 552s, and 557s. If they didn't their pants got grease or ink stained.

As the spouse of a retired microbiologist I heard lots of stories about those who didn't wear gloves or lab jackets and wondered why their children seemed to have an extrodinary number of illnesses. Mine was supercautious, masking up and sometimes double gloving.

And does your doctor wash or sanitize when he/she comes into your exam room?

And a note to Santa: remind me some day to tell you about our experiences with SLC's homeland security and the PVC pipe.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

As a one-time veterinary pathologist, ex- molecular biologist, and retired UK hospital employee, I have been amazed by veterinary surgeons who have been astounded when they developed zoonoses (complaints passed on by sick animals), and unhygienic senior hospital consultants, who, once disposable latex gloves became readily available, gave up the chore of handwashing before, between, or after examining patients.

It was as if they believed that their professional status conveyed upon them an impermeable aura of immunity to themselves and some immaculate shield that dispelled infection within their presence.

Fortunately, cleanliness has been returning to the NHS, under the shadow of hospital acquired infections.

Just a FYI and then I shall get back on topic:
In the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) survey, Hyde found that over 9 out of 10 men and women surveyed over the phone said that they wash their hands every time after using a public restroom though the results of observational studies show the numbers are much lower and closer to 6 out of 10 (2000). This is most probably due to social desirability. The person on the phone did not want the interviewer on the other end of the line to think that he or she was an unhygienic person but those observed in the bathroom may have been unaware of the researcher observing them. In an article run in The New York Times, Dewan (2000) reported that in an observational study, hand washing is down significantly, dropping 60 percent to 49 percent alone in New York’s Grand Central station between 1996 and 2000. Only 43 percent of men washed their hands a slightly higher 54 percent of women washed their hands.

This particularly applied to IBM CEs who worked on 402s, 552s, and 557s. If they didn't their pants got grease or ink stained.

If I wash my hands BEFORE going to the bathroom, it's not grime on my PANTS that I'm worried about.

[rofl]

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back