Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Don't get hurt." 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2012
US
I have been on this new job for about a month. About a half dozen times now, my supervisor has said to me: "Don't get hurt." And it is always those exact three words.

Yesterday, he said that he is "concerned" about me lifting things and putting them into racks. I even told him that I got help when I lifted a server off a high shelf.

I'm speculating that he is not really concerned about my safety. However, I suspect that he is concerned that he will look bad if I get hurt. He never says it in a positive way, like, "Be safe."

Of course, if the company really was concerned about safety, we might have one of those little fork lifts that I have seen in other server labs. They also do not have anti-tipping devices on the server racks.

Bottom line, I just want to do my job and not hear this constant cliche: "Don't get hurt." What should I tell this guy?

I lift weights three days a week and have been doing so since 1997. I am able to lift more than most people. I also have a good idea of what my limits are. I even told him that I had a great uncle get killed in the coal mine (I actually did).

How do I get this guy to stop his constant repitition of: "Don't get hurt."?

How do I get this guy to stop his constant repitition of: "Don't get hurt."?
You don't. That's what he does. That's his style, no matter how annoying it is to you. Of course, it also serves as CYA in case someone does get hurt - he did warn everyone. But you cannot stop him from saying it, no matter what you do.

You just try your best to do your job and not get hurt ( ), and filter the noise out just the way kids filter out parents' nagging.

As for the safety measures, once you are not as new on the job as you are now (and know the politics of the place), you can try to suggest to the management to invest in the fork lifts, anti-tipping devices, and whatever else you think will improve the safety. You can put together some document with calculations of ROI - think of how profitable these measures will be ( ) and try to prove it to the higher-ups.

Good luck.

It could be that your predecessor(s?) DID get hurt, as a result of the lack of safety equipment and practices that you've already noted. You might want to check out the prices for the equipment improvements that would reduce the visible hazards, and suggest them to your supervisor, with copies up the org chart if necessary. Compared with the Worker's Comp claims for back injuries, the equipment might actually be a bargain. Does your state have an Occupational Safety deparment/bureau ? Does your company have a Risk Manager ?

Fred Wagner

>>>with copies up the org chart<<< Bad idea.

Keep copies for yourself, off site.

==> He never says it in a positive way, like, "Be safe."
It is he who ever says it in a positive way, or you who never interprets it in a positive way? I agree with Stella, that's probably just his way. If I were you, I would choose to interpret his meaning as "be safe" and go about doing my job just as I always do and spend my energies worrying about the real problems and challenges facing me.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

... if you say that one more time guvnor, it won't be me that's getting hurt...." ?? :)

I am now fully committed to leaving this job anyway.

Today I was in cube and turned around. This guy was standing about a foot behind me. I will not tolerate someone entering my cubicle silently and then spying on me. That is a violation of personal space and could probably even be construed as some type of harassment.

Are you just looking for an excuse to leave? If you dislike the job so much, just quit and try something else.

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

I'm not going to give specific advice on all the background information, but the best advice I've seen in this thread is

If you dislike the job so much, just quit and try something else.

But realize that it may be YOU that is part of the problem and that it might follow you to the next job. It's never 100% the company's fault or your coworker's fault - you are always a piece of the craptastic pie that is your job.

I know when I was at this one job and moaned about this or that, after leaving the job (for whatever reason) I saw that I was a) overreacting, b) being petty, c)being a whiner, d)just being difficult as some non-insignificant proportion of the problem.

Anybody that thinks it's always someone else (as the problem) is SURELY a big piece of the problem.

If you want to keep your job until you find something better, suck it up, keep a positive attitude and just let those things you don't like slide off your back until you can say goodbye.

If you can't do this, your life will be crappy every day and/or your might get fired if you spout off. Not worth it ether way. I know: EASIER SAID THAN DONE, but necessary.

I've seen rear view mirrors for cubicles being sold somewhere on the web. ThinkGeek.com maybe. That should annoy shoulder surfing bosses, or get you fired. Either way, you get something you seem to want. =)

Look, disgruntled is my middle name, but you still need to keep your job until you can move to another UNLESS you're financially independent and just work for fun OR you want to dwindle your savings.

I wouldn't do anything stupid, aggressive or rash. Work and dealing with other humans is always a PITA at best. Dealing with that fact builds character. Failing at that brings unemployment.

This reminds me of the story of the guy who kept coming around saying "working hard or hardly working?" and laugh, same joke, same time, every day... eventually the the guy he came to saying this jumped up grabbed him by the neck in his arm and said "breathing hard or hardly breathing?".

As far as the don't get hurt part, can you just tie foam pads to your head and arms and next time he says anything you can reply "no, you don't get hurt"

-Nima
"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate", i.e., "Plurality is not to be posited without necessity" aka K.I.S.S. (Keep It Short and Simple) -- Ockham's Razor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back