Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QuickLaunch Bar will not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcsmurf

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2002
GB
Even though I turned the quick launch toolbar on and configure it after the computer is rebooted it turns its self back off again. For some reason the tick box for Quick launch bar is unticked.

Does anybody have a reg patch for this problem. Note it use to work.

Does your machine logon with a logon script in a business, or is this a personal pc?

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

It is a personal machine. No logon scripts are run.

Hmm, I had something similar happen to me on a personal pc with XP Pro after I installed a Longhorn look-alike deal that changed some of the core windows files. Every time I logged off of Windows and back on, the settings I changed during the previous logon would not be kept, not saving the settings. Have you installed anything extra that may have affected some of the core system files? If so, have you tried booting from CD-Rom, and running "Repair current Windows installation"?

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

The most common reason for this behavior is malware, particularly BlazeFind's Search Assistant at the moment. Check the following entry using regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon
Scroll down to the Userinit entry, on the right side, and make sure the value is:
C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe, (the comma should be there)

If not change it to read exactly as shown (unless your drive letter for the XP installation is different).

Do not run Adaware with the current definition file to repair the malware in this instance. The change using regedit is sufficient at the moment. When a revised definition file from LavaSoft appears you can let it clean SearchAssistant or one of its variants:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back