Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

quick start taskbar faulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithinoz

Technical User
Dec 21, 2005
AU
If I r click in a blank space in the quick start taskbar I get the normal context sensitive menu but when I right click on an icon in my quick start taskbar nothing happens. I used to get a context sensitive menu. . How do I fix the this?

Does the fault occur after a Reboot, or is it OK for a while?

Does it occur in Safe Mode? If not can you sort it with a Clean Boot?

How to start Windows 8, or 10, in Safe Mode

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, or Windows 10.

What happens if you create and test with another Windows user rather than your current user?

Create a user account Windows 8.1 or 10

If this is a recent occurrence then try fixing things via System Restore.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7, or 8, or 10).

See, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\ Open System Restore

Thanks for the reply
1. safe mode made no difference
2. Clean boot made no difference
3. For some reason system restore was disabled so I dont have a fall back point.
4. I could not add a new user using the directions you gave. using the instructions at I get a message that this is for Win 8 not Win 10. Secondly if I go to settings > accounts> add a new user>family or other>other users>add someone else I get a grey screen for 2 seconds than it reverts back to where it was.

Strange. Are your running an virus scanner? When was the last time you did a complete scan.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

The link to creating a new user has a drop down arrow where you select the operating system you require.

I have copied the relevant details for you (to try).

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Applies to Windows 10

Here’s how to create another account on your PC for a child or someone else who doesn’t have a Microsoft account.

1.Select the Start button, then select Settings.

2.Select Accounts > Other users.

3.Under Other users, select Add someone else to this PC.

4.At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.

5.At the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.

6.Enter a name for the new account. If you want this person to sign in with a password, enter and verify the password, add a password hint, then select Next.

7.Select Finish.

Bill. I run Symantec antivirus which is checked weekly. I also run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Linney. When I run your point 3.Under Other users, select Add someone else to this PC. I get a small grey window and then the screen returns to it original situation which means I can't get to your point 4.

Are you able to Enable the Built-in Administrator?

Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

If so, see if your original fault is apparent with that user, and also see if the creating user fault is cleared?

Is your machine part of a Domain, an at Home Network, or is it a standalone setup? I was wondering if you have run foul of any Group Policy set by some Domain Admin?

I fixed the problem with an atom bomb. I reinstalled WIn10 and the problem has resolved. Just a wasted 2 hours.

Thanks for your help anyway. I learned a lot.

I like to use System Images (Partition Imaging)as a way of avoiding operating system reinstallation.

Windows has some built-in software you can use but I prefer third party software.

How to create Windows 10 system image backup and restore it

How to Create a System Image in Windows 10

Restore it via "System Image Recovery" in Advanced Startup options.

How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back