Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick HTML/forms question, PLEASE HELP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincenzo

Programmer
Jul 28, 1999
US
Does anyone know the HTML coding for a form that just sends me an email? I just want a blank email for everyone that clicks on it. Another thing is, can I have a counter in that form telling me what number that person is (maybe in the subject field), like what number email so I can keep track? Better yet, all that in a link. Java scripting is a-ok. My email thing doesn't read HTML so you can just send me the actual coding. My email address is vbullinger@aol.com

Unfortunately to sent the contents of a form as an email requires server-side programming (CGI), with a 'post' method from the HTML form; you can't just code it into HTML. Perhaps the closest you can get is some Javascript method that brings up the user's email program and fills some form information into the 'subject' header. I'm not even sure this is possible.<br>
<br>
Many hosting services provide standardized 'cut and paste' form handlers that can help you accomplish this quickly. If your hosting service doesn't, then maybe it's time to switch. If you use Frontpage, servers that support the Frontpage extensions will allow you to use it's simple form creation methods. Not recomended for large/advanced web sights.

I don't even use a webpagemaker, I do all my own coding, so I CAN'T switch. Could you, like, do it on yours and then send me the html coding?

html coding would be the mailto: command right?? am i losing the plot?? <br>
<br>
Karl

yeah, it would, but that would pop up the email window. I want to know if there is a way to automatically send me an email just by either clicking on a link (no pop-up window) or sending it to me via a form. HTML coding would be very much appreciated.

It's NOT HTML coding. Your HTML only makes references and passes variables on to a program on the server. If a form mailer program is not available on the server, you are out of luck. The type of reference you can use depends on exactly what form mailer program is on the server. Vincenzo--where is your web page located? What is the address of your hosting service? I can probably figure out from their home page what you will need to use.

Actually, mailto: will work quite fine in a form with the following:<br>
<br>
&lt;form method=POST<br>
action="mailto:name@somewhere.com,user@waste.gov?subject=whatever you want" enctype="text/plain"&gt; <br>
<br>
I used this a while back on as I was having diffuculty with the server and computer services and needed a way around it quickly.<br>
<br>
It doesn't format as nicely as a CGI would, but hey, it works, and works on all browsers on PC, Mac, and UNIX as far as I know.<br>
<br>
-Grebo

It should. The only thing I can say is to try it. I don't have an AOL browser availible to test on.

So I guess the only caveat is that on the rare occasion someone might be viewing that page from a location that has no email account or default email program installed. Not a bad trade-off for ease of use, as long as the form isn't a mission-critical function.

Even if there is no e-mail account on the machine you are using it will work. It uses the same mailto: code that opens up a blank mail window in the browser, except it tricks it into sending the form data. <br>
<br>
I've used this also on a conference registration form and I know of at least one person who registered fine using a UNIX machine and text browser only. <br>
<br>
If you do find a case where it doesn't work, I'd like to hear of it. grebo@quik.com<br>
<br>
-Grebo

Well, I just had to try that one. I will have to stick by my point that somehow, somewhere in the system has to be a mail program with an email account. That Unix system with a text browser probably had Pine, or Sendmail, or something on it.<br>
<br>
The mailto: form worked fine in my personal machine, but I happen to also have a Windows NT machine with no mail account of any kind; it's just accessing the web from a LAN. Neither IE5 or Netscape 4.6 could send the form. When I hit Submit, both browsers brought up the standard security warning about sending form contents via email, and IE even brought up the email window, but no go.

Yeah, ok, guys. Whatever you guys are talking about is fine by me, but, uh... could you help me out? Does that "form" coding pop up the email window or does it automatically send the email WITHOUT THE USER HAVING TO MANUALLY SEND IT? This is what I want. Thanks.

rycamor-<br>
Interesting. Makes sense though. So I guess my little trick is not as universal as I thought. Your point is correct about having some sort of mail program on it (I got so used to having Pine that I tend to forget about it sometimes. The perils of working off University systems for so long is you forget others may not be so fully set up with the same programs.)<br>
<br>
I must ask though, how many people access the web off something that is not connected somehow to a mail program? If they access via an ISP at home, chances are it's all set up to run fine.<br>
<br>
vincenzo-<br>
My form should work a majority of the time, and is a good start to getting a site up and running. Personally, I would think that at least 90% of web users should be able to use it without difficulty (rycamor, back me up or shoot me down on this one. I don't want to give out useless help, I'm just going off my experiences.)<br>
<br>
The form will send the mail without the user seeing a pop-up e-mail window. As a backup for those who cannot use forms (or have access along the lines of rycamor) I'd go on ahead and add just the plain e-mail address link that does open up the window.<br>

I would say yes to the above. Hope that clears it up as much as possible, vincenzo.

ok, I will try the form thing, but is there a way to put a counter in? Probably not or at least very complicated, I want a counter in the subject area. I don't need it (since AOL counts my mail for me) but it would make things easier to figure out how many people entered. Yes, entered.

A counter DOES need a server program, with HTML code just pointing to it. Fortunately, there are a number of web services that let you use their counter on your page. Try going to where you can sign up for free and they will give you code to insert in your page.<br>
<br>
Also, I just found a site called where you can add several other very useful applications to your web site for free. Amogng these are a guestbook (a full guestbook form that processes on their server but sends email to you), discussion boards, calendars, etc...

NOO00OOOOO! Don't you understand?!? I don't want a counter on my page, I want a counter that counts the number of people that email me from THAT PARTICULAR LINK!!! Wow, are people even getting what I am originally asking? Please, stick to the coding or tell me why it isn't possible. I don't mean to sound rude, but I just don't like wasting time.

I quote: "...how many people entered. Yes, entered." Entered what, the page or the form?"<br>
<br>
Learn to be at least a little grateful for free help, or count 'em yourself and stop wasting our time.

entered" a contest. Boy, I am getting frustrated, but you are right - I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I just am very used to venting all exasperations. Please respond with the correct coding. I want it to count the people who emailed me from that specific link, if that is possible. Or form, whatever is easiest for you guys to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back