Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick HTML/forms question, PLEASE HELP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincenzo

Programmer
Jul 28, 1999
US
Does anyone know the HTML coding for a form that just sends me an email? I just want a blank email for everyone that clicks on it. Another thing is, can I have a counter in that form telling me what number that person is (maybe in the subject field), like what number email so I can keep track? Better yet, all that in a link. Java scripting is a-ok. My email thing doesn't read HTML so you can just send me the actual coding. My email address is vbullinger@aol.com

OK, let's start over. If you want to use the 'lite' mailto: form described above, there is no direct way to count the form submissions, since there is no program writing anything to anywhere EXCEPT to your email inbox. HOWEVER, if you were to make your submit button on the form do double duty as a link to a 'thank you for your info' page, then you could have a counter (of the type I describe above) on THAT page that would pretty much do the trick. It might not be 100% reliable but I would bet on 99.9%.<br>
<br>
The code on your submit button would look like this:<br>
<br>
&lt;input LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="submit" VALUE="Send Info"<br>
ONCLICK="window.location.href = 'thankyou_page.htm'" NAME="gotoThankyou"&gt;

I just posted this to put it back at the top of the forum, heh heh. I never reeeeally got it answered to what I wanted it to be. It doesn't need to be, but the better the answer the, uh... better.

I just posted this AGAIN to put it back at the top of the forum, heh heh. I never reeeeally got it answered to what I wanted it to be. It doesn't need to be, but the better the answer the, uh... better.

OK....here's the HTML for a form that consists of merely a button that can be clicked on to send you a blank e-mail....teh counter thing would require server-side CGI; but the blink email is NOT hard.<br>
<br>
&lt;html&gt;<br>
&lt;body&gt;<br>
&lt;form action=mailto:you@yourisp.com&gt;<br>
&lt;input type=submit&gt;<br>
&lt;/form&gt;&lt;/body&gt;&lt;/html&gt;<br>
<br>
<br>
this would make a web page with just a "submit" button on it....when the button gets pushed, presto, their Navigator gets prompted to send you a bloank e-mail address. Adding an OnSubmit="docuemnt.location.replace(thanks.html);" to the &lt;form&gt; tag would make JS forward them to page thanks.html after the e-mail was sent.<br>
<br>
Hope this accomplishes what you are needing.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net<br>
<br>
in link form would be harder as the link would open their mail client & prompt them to type a message to you; not very likely that they'd follow-through with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back