Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions with a Fiber-attached Jukebox

Status
Not open for further replies.

bprell

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2005
US
Hello All --

Just found this forum and it seemed like a great resource, so I thought I'd see if someone here can help me out.

I'm in the process of trying to setup/configure Legato (7.2) to work with our fiber-attached jukebox (2 drives, HP MSL5000).

I *think* the jukebox is configured correctly. I was able to go through the wizard and anser its questions. Inside NW Administrator, I can see the jukebox, it knows how many drives, etc. It's also listing the slots that have tapes in them under the "Operations" menu, though they are all listed as "Unlabeled".

Here's where my problem comes in though. I'm trying to label the tapes themselves. I've got a pool setup that I want to put them in, and I'm just telling it to use the Bar Code as the label. However, whenever I run the actual label (or inventory) operation, I get an error that says "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I'm not sure why this would be happening. When I issue the reset/etc. commands, the robotic arm responds successfully...it seems like the problem hits when Legato tries to do something with the tape drive(s) itself.

If anyone could shed some light on which direction I need to look to help troubleshoot this, I would appreciate it. If I didn't provide enough information, please let me know and I'll answer whatever I can.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am pretty sure that you talk to the wrong device. This may happen. I had this myself a while ago. If so you must change your configuration.

Also, if on Windows, make sure that RSM is disabled.

Yes, this is on Windows and I've already disabled RSM. However, I'm a little confused by your statement that I "must change my configuration". Could you clarify that a bit more for me?

Thanks!

Well, let's assume that assume you want to use \\.\Tape0. However, your jukebox does not assign Tape0 to the first but another device. So you have to find out which windows drive correlates to which jukebox drive. Then simply use this table for jbconfig or the configuration wizard.

Use sjisn and inquire commands to find out the order of the devices. The device with the lowest element address is the first device.

RV

Ok...I'm (slowly) beginning to see what you mean. Please bear with me if I ask a blatently dumb question. :)

All the drives were autodetected under Windows just fine, and it appears as though the NW Configurator found the drives/jukebox ok. I ran the "inquire" command on my backup server and it came back with a variety of info, but of note it came back with this for the tape drives (there's 1 local SCSI drive and 2 other fiber-attached drives in an autoloader):

scsidev@1.6.:QUANTUM DLT7000 2561|Tape, \\.\Tape0

scsidev@10.0.0:COMPAQ MSL5000 Series 0430|Autochanger (Jukebox) (few more numbers after this)

scsidev@10.0.1:COMPAQ SDLT320 5252|Tape, \\.\Tape1

scsidev@10.0.2:COMPAQ SDLT320 5252|Tape, \\.\Tape2

There's some other stuff as well, but these are the lines that pertained to the tape situation. So now that I've got this information, I went into Legato NW Adminstrator and noted that it recognized the drives in the GUI as the same drives given in the command line.

Is there some other place/location/file that I need to be going to verify that the addresses of these drives? Everything looks like it matches up (from what I can tell), but like I said...beyond what I've listed here I don't really know much of what else to look at.

Thanks again for all of your help. It is really appreciated.

(as a little background, I got tossed into a Legato environment with little-to-no knowledge and told by my boss to "Make It Work by the 15th of this month". I think I've got the client configuration portions figured out, but first I just need to get the tape drive(s) responding to basic instructions.

Thanks!

The drive addresses are o.k. - just the sequence is wrong. But the OS will not tell you.

Now, with only two drives, it is easy. Probably the best way is to avoid the wizards and run jbconfig. Instead of using the expected sequence (first \\.\Tape1, second \\.\Tape2), just reverse the sequence. For the OS, it does not matter which device is the first one.

I am pretty sure it will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back