Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about an Active X Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

baseballgem

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
US
I am using VFP8
I build a distributable app on a CD Rom using Install Shield. The application installs fine on a Windows NT or 2000 OS. But, when installed on the few Windows 98 machines in the office it runs into trouble. I traced it back to an active X "Slider" control. If one hits "ignore" several times the app runs but the control is nowhere to be found on the form. Ah Ha! I said, that is what it must have meant when I built the app using Install Shield as it gave me a "warning" couldn't find some library. But, it let me proceed anyway. And as I said, all goes well on newer operating systems.

My question is - now that I belive the problem to be the "slider" Active X control that I employ on one of my forms; is there an appropriate way to have this work when installing the app in a Windows 98 environment? What more must I do (or include) in my Install Shield? The warning says "..must be a self-registering DLL?" ?? The install shield wizard I am using is the one shipped with VFP8 not the advanced one with all the extras.

Brian,

As Jimoo has pointed out in Thread184-776132, VFP 8 doesn't work with Win 98. You'll need to 'downgrade' if you need Win 98 compatibility.

Excuse me, but I don't think that's the answer to Basebsallgem's question. Apps written in 8.0 do run successfully in 98 (I have many of them in the field). You are probably thinking of the fact that the 8.0 development environment is not supported in 98, but that's not the issue here.

Baseballgem,

A quick and dirty solution would be to give the user a copy of MSCOMCTL.OCX, and to use REGSVR32 to register it on their system.

In general, there is no problem in using these ActiveX controls in a VFP 8.0 application under Win 98. I do it all the time.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

My Visual Foxpro web site: My Crystal Reports web site:

Even if I have success giving Windows 98 users MSCOMCTL.OCX, and use REGSVR32 to install - I was wondering if there was a way to include that OCX when I build my Install Shield Setup. And make it somehow self-registering - Do you think that will work? Remembering that I don't have the full expanded version of Install SHield.

baseballgem

Do you think that will work? Remembering that I don't have the full expanded version of Install SHield.

Yes, you can. In the section 2 (Files) add the ocx and once it is added, right-mouse on it, go to properties->advanced and change the registration to self-registered.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back