Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INstalling an ocx control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan - Gendev

Programmer
Jan 9, 2011
AU
I am not succeeding with my installation of my ocx control.
I may have the inno compiler instruction in error.

I have
Source: C:\mypath\ImageViewer2.OCX; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: regserver ignoreversion

Is this correct? Or do I have another problem?

Cheers

GenDev

Chriss,

I have downloaded mscomctl.ocx and added a regserver line to {sys} in my Inno file.

I've installed on my laptop and IT WORKS.

So thankyou very much for your help - maybe I'll get some rest tonight now....

GenDev

Hello,

we use some viscom products and made a little installation program , here is the relevant part of the innosetup :
;Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib\gdiplus.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\viscompdf.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\msvcrt.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\mfc42.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\viscomgifenc.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\viscompsd.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\viscomdocx.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\viscompdfreader.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\TIFF2PDF.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\viscompdfedit.dll"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile
Source: "C:\projekte\Visiondistrib2\imageviewer2.ocx"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: sharedfile regserver 32bit

HTH
Tom

gendev,

okay, it would have been nice to kjnow the details, but since it works, fine. You may just upgrade the OCX up to the version you're eligible to use with your license. No idea about the licensing policies of Viscom, but clearly your version has fewer support dlls. On one side that's less dependencies, but on the other side you may get some more features.

I'*m just pretty sure you never need the mscomctl.ocx and register it, if you don't use a common control in your application, otherwise the ocx would be mentioned as an essential runtime file for any executable built with VFP. So what happened? Unsure, it's something else that also changed while you added the mscomctl.ocx. Notice, the redist.txt of VFP itself lists merge modules.

The intentional usage of installshield express with the provided merge modules is a toatally different way of building a setup, that's not a feature of Inno, so no reason to switch to merge modules, but one thing is worth noticing regarding the mscomctl.ocx: The redist.txt lists these merge modules:
COMCTL32.MSM
COMDLG32.MSM
MSCOMCT2.MSM
MSCOMCTL.MSM

This is for older and newer (I think version 5 and 6) of common controls and common dialogs. Remove comdlg32 from the list of common control relevant merge modules, there's still the three others. I don't know wht that exactly means, but I think there's not only mscomctl.ocx, just like your ocx the MS common controls would also need some more support dlls, and I think mscomct2.ocx is another ocx file, too. So a complete installation of the common controls you're allowed to use and redistribute with a VFP executable are also a longer list than just one ocx file.

And so, my conclusion would be, that's a red hering. I definitely know you can run a VFP9.exe with the minimal set of support dlls without mscomctl.ocx and mscomctl.ocx is also no a general basis file for ActiveX, it really is just a small set of a few ActiveX common controls that has nothing to do with the Image Viewer CP Pro ActiveX Control. Really sure, also because the readme.txt doesn't mention mscomctl.ocx, so the only reason it would break the EXE from working is because the VFP exe would use a common control, but that's not explaining why the Image Viewer doesn't work.

Chriss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back