Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QOS setup on Draytek Router for IP Phones 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

seasideskippy

Programmer
May 6, 2005
GB
Hi,
I have setup 2 remote sites using Draytek Vigor 2820 routers. The VPN's and phones are working but when i try to setup the QOS on the router it does not seem to be working.

Bandwidth Management >> Quality of Service

Class Index #1
Name H323
NO Status Local Address Remote Address DiffServ CodePoint
1 Active 192.168.1.200 Any EF Class

Service Type
H.323(TCP:1720)

My IPO address is 192.168.1.200 when you go into WAN1 Online Statistics it does not show any change in the bandwidth management.

I've attached screen shots from the router.

any ideas?

regards Skippy

You have only enabled QOS for a single IP address? Why restrict it to the single port? I've done this - but set Service Type to ANY ... and then my Avaya system gets priority!

the QoS is dynamically set within the percentages set, so, if there is no voice traffic, and there is a large download then all bandwidth is allocated to that download until a voice call is made, then the router shapes the traffic accordingly.

BTW, you want to be applying this to UDP traffic not TCP

The link is used for voice and data so we are trying to prioritise the voice calls.

I have set it up as all the doc's suggest.

afrogley

I have set it to the ip address of the ip office, if i set it to any would this not just do the same thing?

On the the remote site routers i have set it to the subnet of the ip phones.

infact you might as well do both, and the ports for UDP are dynamically assisgned, so dont try and restrict it to a single port

as the others have said - it needs to be UDP, not TCP.

Your set up requires that specific IP address to be using that specific PORT to match the priority...

Rather than faff about with specific ports I just used ANY port for the fixed IP ADDRESS for the QOS - so whatever the Avaya box/phone is trying to do through the router, it gets priority - tcp/udp whatever ... doesn't matter.

Spot on i've just set them up using Any protocol and it seems to be working.

regards Skippy

As HSM said, you can define QoS if you want. But it is ignored as soon as your packets leave the router.
If you mark all voice traffic as EF and this would really work, then there would be no point in paying for expensive premium services.

It can help, because if the voice packet leave the router on side A in a 'priorised' order, then there is a better chance for them to reach side B in a acceptable way. Not more.

Another good idea is to use a dedicated link for voip. If you use G.729 on that link, then a inexpensive ADSL link may be enough. Data transfers will not hurt if they use a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back