Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Put Access on a Diet? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgv

Programmer
Sep 23, 2003
US
I have an application that is complete. The tables are linked to another MDB, but the forms, queries, and code are included in the applciation MDB. The size of this single file is in excess of 70Mb when compressed. Upon exiting the MDB is compressed each time. On slower PCs this takes about a minute to compress and fully close. Is there a way to reduce Access bloat so the application starts and stops quicker? You can only link tables, so that will not help.

To get that big I suspect that you have some faily impressive image files in the forms or reports as logos etc.

Youcould convert them into jpeg or other more efficient image formats.
Or export the image and just have links to the images on the form.
This option will involve the db in loading the image each time a form is opened and you'll need to makwe sure the images are transported with the daabase if you distribute it ( or they are network accessible )

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

By "compress" do you mean "compact"? If not, have you compacted your database? Also, you may want to simplify your forms but limiting the number of controls and labels.

Thanks LittleSmudge,

When I first started the development of this application, the images were Linked rather than Embedded and then I did not like the annoying 'rendering' box that flashes on the screen while the form is loading, but I did not realize how much space Linking would, in fact, save.

By setting the background image for all of the forms in the application to Linked, I was able to decrease the size of it from 72Mb to 35Mb.

Good idea! Thanks.

Hi

35Mb is still pretty big in my experience

One trick which seems to reduce size is to periodically create anew empty db, and import all the objects, do not know why, but this seems to reduce the size more that compact does !

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Macros take up a ton of space as opposed to code. if you have alot of macros, try converting them to functions.

Randall Vollen
National City Bank Corp.

Ken,

Tried it and only gained 4Mb more. Find that the 'Access-Bloat' phenomenon can make the MDB double in size , especially during a development cycle. That is why I have set it to compact-on-close.

This application is going to be distributed outside of my office, so setting the MDB to compact-on-close option is something that is repeatable more readily that having the users create a new MDB and Importing-all.

Thanks, though. Every tip helps!

hwkranger,

Only have three small macros left that will be removed before release (made it simpler to clear records using a macro to test app as a new install). Based upon your suggestion, I did drop one more macro and placed that in the code. It was only a six-step macro and did not take up much space, though.

Thanks again for the tip!

Last but not least - if you are deploying this permanently - try an MDE

if you can't do an MDE - compile your code - it's under Debug
COMPILE <Project name>

on the Code screen.

Randall Vollen
National City Bank Corp.

Background image on your forms? Icky. If the images aren't an integral part of your application, I would get rid of them all. File size, performance, and professionalism will all be improved.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Access Databases for Non-Profit Organizations

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Questions. How many forms do you have? How many reports? In others words, how many objects does your db have? And how many images?

Background images are not flashy flowers or scenary. The client appreciated the images. It is a diamondplate image. If you knew the client, you would understand. Making them linked saved a lot of space. There are 10,000 lines of code in this application with lots of comments for maintenance purposes. Cannot sacrifice either. Forms are interrelated with lots of dependencies. Believe I have gotten it as small as I am able.

Thanks to all for your suggestions

One trick which seems to reduce size is to periodically create anew empty db, and import all the objects, do not know why, but this seems to reduce the size more that compact does !

The reason for this Ken ( and everyone else ) is that what you are effectivly doing is a decompile

You can get the same effect by the following

Open the database using
msaccess.exe /decompile "\\Server\Path\FileName.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\Server\Path\security.mdw"

Then compact the database

Then go to a code window and Re-compile the database

Then compact the database

Save and exit

Go to Windoz explorer and be amazed at the reduction in volume
Open the database and be amazed how much quicker it runs.

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS
spsinkNOJUNK@yahoo.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back