Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSP -vs-Photoshop 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDemon

Programmer
Feb 7, 2000
GB
I currently use PSP 6.1 and love it. The only reason why I don't use Photoshop is because I've never got round to trying it. As a web designer I'd be interested to know which of the two people prefer. A mate of mine has both and says he prefers neither as they offer different things.<br><br>Just interested.

Without wanting to make this thread last forever, and bearing in mind that I have great respect for Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop is not the industry standard because it came out before PSP, it is the industry standard because it is one of the BEST packages out there for the graphics professional. PSP does nothing for the designer in terms of printing, pre-press, press-colours, etc. Photoshop has a pre-built colour set that match exactly to the colours providing by various printers (for example Panatone) - allowing you to ensure that the colours will print as you wish. Anyway - I'm shutting up now... this could go on for ever! They're both great... (grin)

=)

PetitPal

Hey LRH,

I agree with PetitPal that PS is much better than PSP for print work, it's just that PS doesn't do anything that can't be done with PSP when it comes to web graphics. The interface might be different and the steps different but that's it.

inmho...mike

Alright everyone, I have used both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro throughout the many versions that there have been. I really do have to agree that PSP is better, in most cases, than Photoshop. From ease of use to features to the bottom line of cost, PSP has really made an effort to accomodate it's users. If you compare the two programs you won't find much difference and if you do, it won't be worth spending the extra hundreds for Photoshop. I just converted a die-hard Photoshop user to PSP because I proved to him that they were practically the same program. He couldn't believe how easy it was to use. Use what you like or feel comfortable with but definitely check out PSP before making your final decision. I'm out. L8

I have both Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop, and I use PSP because I can figure out how to do things a lot faster in PSP then Photoshop.

Firstly, I've never used Paint Shop Pro because I've never felt the need to. I began playing around with Photoshop in December (downloaded from Kazaa)and by Jan I wasn't too bad at it. It gave me a couple of headaches occasionally- but the effects were amazing. It doesn't seem to have a higher learning curve that most graphics programs- and I'm 15 years old. It's just that PS requires you to learn a number of tools before it's possible to achieve great results.

Something I don't think PSP would allow is the constant tweaking of shadows, glow effects, emboss etc a is available for PS. I love using that for manips.

Also the actions and filters increase detail in most of the work done, which is simply peachy.

However, I do agree that it is time consuming. I'll be trying PSP 7 for faster results...

BTW, I was wondering if anyone knew of any artists who used PSP. I've seen those who use PS ( which is fantastic) but I'd love to see some of the work accomplished on PS by artists.

I'm a production web designer/programmer. I started out with PS5 but found it so difficult and time consuming to do even the simplest things that I was losing jobs and customers because of the time factor. I jumped to PSP6 when it first came out. I was amazed at how intuitive it was and how much faster I could get things done. With PS5, I was spending hours on an image but in PSP I was getting it done in minutes.

My wife uses PS and upgraded to ver. 7. She says she loves it and I've tried using it but I just can't justify the extra time needed to make an image. If I want to draw a green circle on a black background all I have to do is create a new image in the size I want, select the foreground color, disable the background color and draw! You can't do that in Photoshop!

Yes, this is overly simplistic but it gets more difficult in PS as the image gets more complicated. I will say that PS does a slightly better job with things like smudge and fade but as many of the others have written, it's just not worth the learning headache. There's always a better way...

i use psp, and the only thing i use photoshop for is for batch processing (recording a sequence of fx and work and then auto-applying the same process to a lot of other pix)

this cant be done in psp, (right?)

greets,
thomas

I have a Mac so use Photoshop. Photoshop 5.0 Le came with my scanner. I did have a problem with it at first, especially the first six months. Finally, learned how to use the tools one by one. I could not afford the full blown version due to price, so stayed with that for a while.

Then bought PhotoDeluxe cause thought it would be easier. It was, but had less features than Photoshop.

Then bought Photoshop Elements 1.0 and love it. The manuals are better, the instructions on site are better.
And the price was just under a hundred dollars. Just bought a copy for my sis and the final price including postage (on Amazon.com) was $93.37.

Then I bought a copy of Photoshop 6.0 on ebay. Again, the instructions were not easy for that either. I bought the book &quot;Photoshop 6 Down and Dirty, and that helped a lot to discover the features of 6 that I did not know. So I use it for some special things, but my bread and butter now is Photoshop Elements. True it does not have all the layer styles and actions of 6, but it has plenty for my use.

There is a Photoshop Elements 2 out now. I think it is mainly for pc users and mac users who have upgraded their operating system to osx, which I have not, so don't think I will change.

I use both programs but work mostly in PS.
They both have there good and bad points but when working on an image they are both generally open and I switch between them.
I store master images in psd and convert to jpg in Psp, the reason for this is that Psp saves smaller jpg images. Don't know why that is though.
I find Psp slightly more glitchy than PS but all in all I could not work without having both.

Somehow .. I KNEW this would be a huge thread even though old. I will throw in my 2cents. I have used the last several versions of PSP and also PS. I agree with everyone who says that each has it's strong and weak points. I also, as someone stated, often have both open and switch between the two. If you use both, always save in PSD format for your layered master. PS has a phenomenal rendering engine, but with practice, you can get very good quality out of PSP. If I had to pick only one graphics program.. I would have a hard time. PSP is easy to use and can accomplish virtually ANY task done in PS (this has been proven again and again) but it is weak in the rendering dept. and the desktop resizing SUCKS (fine tuned workspace viewing in PS). But the price of PSP makes it a real winner.

I often think those who won't accept it as a true competitor to PS are only those who are still sore over the price difference!

Sorry for the long post!

Ok, I'm going to make a bold statment. For web graphics and photo enhancements, PSP 8 has left PhotoShop in the dust!!

The ability to do full Python scripting and or just record &quot;macros&quot; is just so totally cool.

mike

I haven't triedd PSP8 yet, but are you aware of &quot;actions&quot; in PS?

I've been using both PSP and PS since version 5 of each one. I haven't played too much in PS by myself - mostly trying tutorials. However, I have used PSP7 a LOT since it came out. I wouldn't say that I'm in the elite, but I consider myself an expert in PSP7.

I have almost only good words to say about PSP. But there are two things that I think PS is superior. First, as many people have said, the ability to apply various effects and being able to work on them later (changing drop shadows, etc) is a lot nicer than having to rasterize your layers in PSP. Also you have a lot of included effects (inner glow, outer glow, stroke, etc etc). And the second that is bothering me, is that PSP has a crappy anti-alias engine, especially for smaller text. PS has 3 settings (smooth, strong and normal(?)) and it's lightyears ahead of PSP for this.

Someone above asked for a challege - well here it is.
Go get the file there, and look how easy/fast it is to create those awesome buttons, very professional (light gradients and light outer glow that really give it a pro touch).

Guillaume

Guillaume Hébert
ghebert@nbnet.nb.ca
Pedal to the metal!

Actions in PS are kindergarten compared to a full blown python scripting feature in PSP8. PS isn't even in the same ball park.

Everyone I know of who uses PS and has PSP8 is in total aggreement that PSP 8, for web graphics, is the way to go.

The drop shadow issues you mention have been dealt with in PSP 8. I wouldn't judge the difference between PSP and PS without taking a close look at the incredible new and awsume features in PSP 8.

For web graphics, PSP 8 leaves PS buried in the dust bin.

mike

Wow, awesome quick reply for a thread that had not been active for a few weeks now :)

Sorry about the Action vs. Python part, it was a short in the dark, since I haven't tried PSP8 yet.

I don't see the big deal between doing web graphics and printed graphics. I'm talking about the images themselves, not the &quot;end&quot; result, whether it's on paper or on screen.

What is your view on the not-so-good antialias - it applies to curved surfaces like circles and to [small] text - ?

Guillaume Hébert
ghebert@nbnet.nb.ca
Pedal to the metal!

This issuse for printed versus web is the CYMK aspect of the color scheme, and the end result is relative to the color scheme. PSP has never been very good at producing graphics that print to true color.

As far as the antialiasing, I don't have a problem with it. If you get a chance maybe you can post and example done in PSP and PS.

mike

Okay I did a comparison, and forget about the ellipse part, both are pretty much the same.

However, for smaller text, PSP only seems to antialias horizontally, where PS antialiases on both axis. Verdana Bold 8PT wasn't exactly the same dimensions in both programs, so I did it at 9 and 10PT in PS to compare. The antialias is *much* better in PS.

On rounded rectangles, PS draws the vertical and horizontal portions at 1 pixel wide (how can you antialias a straight line?). PSP draws 1 pixel with the actual color, and one &quot;faded&quot; (antialiased) pixel right next to the &quot;actual&quot; one. In both programs, I set the size to 1px for the rounded rectangle and for the circle.

Guillaume Hébert
ghebert@nbnet.nb.ca
Pedal to the metal!

Actions in PS are kindergarten compared to a full blown python scripting feature in PSP8. PS isn't even in the same ball park.

Actions are intuitive, and therefore are useful for most basic tasks. You want more? Photoshop can be scripted too, using JavaScript, AppleScript, or Visual Basic via it's Scripting plug-in.... you know, scripting languages that people actually use. Python is great too, and if you're happy with it, more power to you, but please don't make bold statements like that without getting your facts straight, or at least comparing like with like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back