Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSP -vs-Photoshop 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDemon

Programmer
Feb 7, 2000
GB
I currently use PSP 6.1 and love it. The only reason why I don't use Photoshop is because I've never got round to trying it. As a web designer I'd be interested to know which of the two people prefer. A mate of mine has both and says he prefers neither as they offer different things.<br><br>Just interested.

I have my facts straight. PSP 8 does not need a plugin to do full blown scripting.

I will continue to make correct statments bold or not so bold. PS needs a plugin to do what PSP does without a plugin.

*g*

mike

I'm not going to argue on that, since I haven't worked with any of them... but what's your opinion on the .gif I posted about the text antialias, PS vs PSP?

Guillaume Hébert
kag@boloxe.com
Pedal to the metal!

Ok...I guess I'm just biased, but I like the psp 7 text example over the ps examples.

In both programs, small antialiased text looks better in some fonts than others.

Up to version 7 of psp I would grant that ps's drop shadow features were superior (I can't believe I wrote that) to psp's, but now with version 8 of psp, they are about the same. imho

mike

Ok...I guess I'm just biased, but I like the psp 7 text example over the ps examples.

Mmm, I officially announce that your case is hopeless :)

Guillaume Hébert
kag@boloxe.com
Pedal to the metal!

pspForever...mike
spin.gif

Whatever their other merits may be, PSP stomps all over PS in terms of price performance. Prices from Amazon.com today: PSP8 $89.99, PS7 $579.99. Photoshop may be better at doing some things (I've not used it much myself, so couldn't comment) but it's not six times better. Since I'm spending my own money, I'd rather put up with the supposed shortcomings of PSP (rapidly diminishing with every release) and have the extra 500 bucks to spend on beer.

-- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

The real world's OK for a visit, but you wouldn't want to LIVE there!

Hmmm...An extra $500 on beer. That will get me through the first night.
Ineedadrink.gif

mike

Hehehehehe,
If You are serious about Photo manipulation.
You MUST have Photoshop, period.
Anyone Who tells You the PS in NOT that much better,
simply has not learned the program.
Absolutely noone uses psp for professional work,
well, except for the rare cases that a company is
incredibly too cheap to purchase necessary software,
and an employee is stuck.
I invite anyone Who may be interested in finding out
just how great a program it is, and what can be done
with it, To come on over and hang out with Me for a
little while at the photoshop
discussion at anytime.
I am Scionshade, but everyone will be glad to meet You
and share the possibilitys.
Come say hi.
I will be hanging both there and here today,
and Hi from a noob :) This site is awesome!
Thanks to whoever put this place together.

Anyone Who tells You the PS in NOT that much better,
simply has not learned the program.

But anyone who tells you that Photoshop is six times better than PSP simply has not used PSP recently.

Photoshop is the standard in professional graphic design circles. If you have a job in that area, or want to get one, then you should start saving your pennies for Photoshop. It doesn't matter what it can do - you need to be able to use it.

If you're spending your own money, there's more to consider. PSP can do almost everything that PS can do - including all the important things: layers, masks, vector graphics, filters etc. - and there are some things that it (apparently) does better.

If you're an imaging hobbyist without unlimited funds (which is all of us, isn't it?) consider this: there's $500 difference between these two products. Are you better off spending that money to get a tiny handful of extra software features that you'll probably never use, or on new camera equipment (or a new camera!) to take better pictures in the first place? Or you could spend it on beer!

I don't think there's any definitive right answer on this issue. If you're trying to decide - get trial versions of both programs and see which one works for you. Saying that you have to use PS because that's what the pros use is like saying you have to buy MS Office if you want to write a couple of letters.

-- Chris Hunt

I'm with Chris on this!
Absolutely noone uses psp for professional work...

I take great offense to this statement because I do professional work with PSP EVERY DAY and I counter that anyone who would make such a statement has never learned to use Paint Shop Pro!

I have both PSP and Photoshop and can use either one equally well. But.... and this is a huge factor, PSP is by far, much more intuitive and easier to use than Photoshop ever dreamed of being! I can do more in less time with PSP than I can with Photoshop simply because Photoshop makes you jump through too many hoops to do the same things. I think this is because Photoshop thinks the sun rises and sets on their collective rear ends and isn't listening to their customers.

Like Chris points out, Photoshop can do a little more than PSP but the "little more" that it can do is used by a tiny fraction of those who use Photoshop on a regular basis. Ask any production shop and they'll tell you the same thing. And because PSP is faster and easier to use, my production costs are lower. I have paid for my copy of PSP7 several times over and that's something I can't say about Photoshop7. For my company, time is money (isn't it that the way for all?) and PSP will do the job faster and cheaper that Photoshop. But, there are times when I do need to use those "little more" features in Photoshop, and I'd be lost without it.

Once again, Chris has hit it on the head - there's really no definitive answer to this. And frankly, there shouldn't need to be because both of these products are good at what they do and as with any type of software, it's a matter of personal preference and what you were trained to use. No doubt that those who have only used Photoshop will throw stones at PSP, and vice versa. I, for one, tend to lean towards PSP as my first choice even though I have and use both.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Hi, i came across this, I just had to voice my opinion. I am a mediocre web designer ( but, unlike the other "non-industry" professionals here, I must totally put my voice up for photoshop. True, photoshop was the bane of my life when i was introduced to it by my photography teacher 2 years ago, but I have sinced loved the program. Right now, I have both Photoshop CS (Version 8) and PSP8. For those who hate the "curve" of Photoshop, let me just say- it works in the reverse as well. Being a Photoshop user and then getting introduced to PSP, i hated PSP, and I still kind of hate it. I just find Photoshop smoother to use, PSP seems kind of square to me. Another simple reason I love Photoshop more: I hate the PSP rubber lol, i know there are about 50 types, but to me, the fading rubber on Photoshop will always be on top. This from someone who has Version EIGHT of both programs. :) :)

Hmm, I think we need to distinguish between professional photographers / graphic designers, and other professionals (such as programmers) who happen to use these packages. No reputable graphics professional would ever put PSP ahead of PS. I find PSP to be a useful supplement to Photoshop, and for amateurs, it's great value for money. But better than Photoshop? Better tell me who you work for so I can steer clear!

I work for CDC Publishing and am a professional designer, graphics artist and programmer. I am an expert in PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro, HTML, DHTML, Java, Perl, C, SQL and am proficient in most all of the relevant application languages. Jasc included 10 of my tutorials with the Anniversary release of PSP. I do lots and lots of graphic work for both print and the web including intranets. I am a member of multiple groups and graphic/artist societies. I have a degree in fine art and an IT degree. When it comes to web graphics, PSP is as good or better than PS. When it comes to photo manipulations (I am also a photographer), PSP 8+ is as good as PS. I know lots of design houses and publishing firms that have PSP as part of their graphics packages. The issue is not how good is PSP or how good is PS or even how good is one against the other, the issue is how good is the user!!

I am a professional graphic artist, and I use Paint Shop Pro!

I've been using PSP since it was a file conversion utility. It wasn't the first graphics program I ever used but it is definitely the one I've used more than any other. For a long time I had assumed that Photoshop was a vastly superior product, simply because I had heard so much hype about it (where there's smoke there's often fire - there had to be some substance to everything I'd heard).

Last summer I attended a two week, six hour/day Photoshop course at the college where I teach, it was presented by a professional graphic artist. I grant you that two weeks of using the program is probably just the tip of the iceberg but the impression that I came away with was a hell of a lot of smoke coming from a little tiny flame.

I lost track of the number of times the instructor said "Here's another feature that's only available in Photoshop" and then during the break I'd show him the very same feature in PSP on my laptop. I think he got as sick of me disproving his assertions as I did of his making them.

Having said all that, I must admit that there are some things that PS can do that PSP cannot (yet). There were a few items that he showed that I couldn't do in PSP7 and still can't in PSP9. But they were few and far between.

My opinion is that PS has a wider range of features than PSP and I suspect it'll stay that way for a while to come. However, I also believe that all the hype is just that... hype, there really isn't much substance behind it.

I don't think there's much difference in the learning curve, if you start with PS you'll probably find PSP difficult and vice versa - people are reluctant change. I didn't have much difficulty with PS because I've used AE and Premiere which have similar interfaces. However, PSP is easier on the wallet so more people can afford to learn PSP than PS. Hence the general bias towards PSP in this group.

I wouldn't switch from PSP to PS. But I would consider using both if I could afford them.

Have you looked at The Gimp? It's my choice for raster editing as its interface and facilities are closer to Photoshop than to PSP. And it's free! You can download it from .

I have been using Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop for many years. My opinion is that each is very good, depending on the user. No matter which program, they require a great deal of patience, and the end result is as good as the user. I personally, do use Paint Shop Pro much more, and with the right plugins and using settings correctly, can do as much or more than many with Photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back