Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Provider Information 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieldt

Vendor
Jan 16, 2002
US
I am about to attempt to turn up a cisco router over frame-relay thru an integrated T-1 device. (an Adtran TSU600) The phone company provided me with the following info:
DS1 channels 1-12 voice Channel 13 FRAME 14-16 spare and 17-24 Internet. The following staements were also provided:
FRAME- LMI is Autodetect and DLCI is 102
Internet- encapsulation is HDLC (if cisco) or PPP if any other brand

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm used to using a Carrier Access Adit600 and simply configure the unit for a combination of voice and data and then configure the router using IETF and a sub-interface ETC.... Does anyone have any idea what they mean by this FRAME on channel 13??? How would I configure a DLCI on the router if they are telling me the encapsulation is HDLC??? I've called the provider but only get more confusion. I've spoken with the manager who seems to know even less.

Thanks so much.

Is the provider setting up the adtran 600 are is this what you already have?

the 12 voice channels 1-12 must be setup correctly to work.

17 thry 24 gives you 8 channels for a 512k internet connection. What should happen here is that you will need to connect off the adtran via a V.35 cable to a cisco or another router.

The Dlci 102 will need to be inserted on the interface of the router.

LMI will need to be setup on the serial interface

I will give you an example of a cisco router.

interface serial 1
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay
frame-relay lmi-type ansi

interface serial1.1
frame-relay interface-dlci 102 IETF

now there will be more questions asked here.
Are you going to have static ip's from your provider?
If not you will need to run NAT ( network address translation ).

I hope this does not give you more sleepless nights, haha.
If you need help just post another question and I or someone else will be glad to assist. Good Night!!! Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

That's exactly how I would normally do it, however they're telling me channel 13 is designated as "FRAME" with a DLCI of 102 and encapsulation as "AUTODETECT". Then they're saying the "Internet" (they obviously are referring to 17-24) should have an encapsulation as HDLC. This would not give me the option to set a DLCI on the router interface.(so where is the DLCI set if I can't do it on the router???) I am configuring the Adtran and from my experience with these units, setting up one channel (13) as "FRAME" is not an option, not to mention this makes no sense to me at all ???? Thank you for your reply J. Fisher......

Tim

Something is very very wrong here, you have to setup the LMI on the router with the DLCI. A specific channel outside
of what you are using will not work. ( How could it ? ) Setup as normal and you should be ok. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Hi

I saw your questions and what it appears like to me is you have channels 1-12 for voice, channel 13 is for Frame Relay, and channels 17-24 for Internet. You will need to make sure your CSU/DSU has two V.35 ports and a DSX type port for the voice.

The Frame should be mapped to one of the V.35 port, then the Internet to the 2nd V.35 port. Then from there each V.35 port should plug into a seperate serial port on the same router or two seperate routers. Then each serial port should be configured for the proper service (ie. the there serial port for the frame should be configured for frame relay and the 2nd port that the Internet is on should be configured for HDLC.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back