Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proprietary Database Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjb

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
US
I have a ticketing program that stores all of it's databases in a proprietary format. I need to set up some type of reporting that is a little easier to read than what is in place currently (just one of the problems I inherited when I took this job). Will I need to use SQL server to extract and massage the data or can I use the ODBC drivers the software company provided? Also can I schedule Crystal to run reports nightly and publish to an Exchange folder?

What is the proprietary format, what is the software, and the provided ODBC drivers - can they be accessed with anything other than Crystal Reports?

Theoretically, you could build a VB app to load some crystal reports, export them, and put those files into an exchange folder, yes.

Yes the databases can be accessed with MS Access...The software is a DOS based program called Select I think it is published by MegaSoft software. ;-)

Well, if you just want better reports, you could write/re-write reports in MS Access directly. Or (better idea), you could write Crystal Reports to access the data.

Now, for automation, you'll probably need to build some kind of small VB app that loads an instance of the Crystal Report Viewer DLL. You can use this application basically as a command-line based program. See workflow below:

Scheduled Job 1
- Command Line kicked off at 10PM: MyVBAPP.EXE /ARGS
- where ARGS = report name, export to, destination
- this could load your report, export to file, and
put the file into an exchange folder providing you
gave it the necessary access permissions

You could use Windows NT Task Scheduler service to automate this, or if you already have SQL Server, you could set up a job to run at a specific time to grab the data, massage it, and then do something with it.

I don't know of any products that will take report data and get it to Exchange without any custom work.

Thanks. I was afraid you would say that about not being able to schedule with Crystal. Actually there is a program that you can schedule and export to just about anything including Exchange folders it's called Seagate Info Server. I could buy it but I am the IS Director for a non-profit organization and am trying to make do with what I have on hand ;-)...

Thanks Ever So...

TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back