Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program Updates Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
From Control Panel, if I click on "Program Updates" something goes radically wrong. The window comes up for Program Updates but it freezes after drawing about half the window. Then it does nothing else.

It would seem something is corrupt. How do I refresh it?

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a maniac?."
George Carlin

Not sure if it will make much a difference, but have you tried a sfc /scannow from the command prompt? Could be a corrupt or missing system file and this would fix it, you may need your XP CD if it does find something wrong though.

If that completes, I would run a chkdsk /r too just in case....

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Hi DrBOb
I tried that and you scared me. When I inserted my XP disc I was greeted with a choice:
+ Install Windows XP
+ Learn more about the setup process
+ Install optional Windows components
+ Perform additional tasks
+ Check system compatibility

I fled!

Can you walk me through the whole operation? I scare easily :)

"Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster is a maniac?."
George Carlin

Did you do the sfc /scannow? If it doesn't find anything it wont ask for the XP installation media. If it needs it, it will stop and prompt you for it.

Basically run the scan, if it asks insert the XP CD, if it finishes without asking for it, it didnt need it.

Your optical drive (CD) is set to autorun any disk that is inserted that has a run or boot programme on it. This is nothing to worry about. Just click on the EXIT button which is below the options you saw on the screen. This removes the XP CD's opening menu options, and leaves the disk in the drive should sfc /scannow want to copy off any files.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks Goaoz

There is obviously something sfc/scannow finds amiss because a dialog asks:
Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD Now.

I do that, click on Exit like you said, scannow goes away, looks at things, then comes back and requests the CD insertion again. That goes on and on until I get bored and reboot to break the cycle.

Where do I go from here?

George Carlin

If I was in your shoes, I would do a repair install. It should just overwrite the OS files and leave your data in tack. Since sfc found things it couldnt fix, this should take care of it.

P.S. If you get to page 6 instructions but dont see a Repair option, stop and reboot.

Hi DrB0b
Whatever is on the page at the end of that link is definitely written in Geekish or something. I make neither head nor tail of it. Sorry.

Like I said before, when I insert my XP CD I am offer these five choices:
+ Install Windows XP
+ Learn more about the setup process
+ Install optional Windows components
+ Perform additional tasks
+ Check system compatibility

I have delved into each of these options and I can find no invitation to 'Repair' anything although I am sure I have seen something once.

I am getting confuseder and confuseder :(

George Carlin

Does it make any difference that sfc/scannow asks me for a Windows XP Professional SP3 disc and my disc is Windows XP Home Edition SP3?

George Carlin

You have to boot off of the Windows disc to do the repair install, not run inside of Windows.

To check what version of Windows is installed, right click on My Computer and click Properties. Read what it says as far as which version of Windows and report back.

Hi DrB0b
My computer is running on Microsoft XP Home Edition SP3.

George Carlin

Well that should establish it is XP Home SP3. Since you are going to be doing things with the OS, I would highly advise a backup of any and all important data or if you have irretrievable and un-reinstallable programs, maybe a image of your hard drive.

After a backup, I would test the hard drive and memory just to make sure they are physically ok. To test them use these two programs;

After booting from that CD, run Maxtor Powermax Advanced Test and Memtest(at least 2 passes) to test the RAM and hard drive. If both pass, move on to the next step.

NEXT STEP

Put your XP Home Disc in the optical drive and restart your PC. Since we've never established the make and model of your PC, as soon as it restarts, hit "ESC" or "F2" or whatever it prompts you to get into the BIOS. Once in there, change the Boot Order to allow the optical drive to be first. Save and Exit BIOS. Go through with the XP CD boot and use the above guide to repair your OS.

Let me know if you get any or all of these steps accomplished.

Not quite successful - here's the blow-by-blow:
+ download SetUpImgBurn-2.5.6.0
+ click icon
+ get Wizard
+ select 'Full' install to c:\Programfiles\ImgBurn
+ refuse 'Ask' toolbar
+ Registry cleanup recommended prior to ImgBurn run
+ clean registry with CClean 3.11.1550 (Free Edition)
+ reboot
+ download ubcd511.iso
+ no internet connection, no running applications, no anti-virus
+ CD-Drive opens and closes
+ files verified
+ "Operation Successfully Completed"
+ automatic attempt to open page in IE
+ reconnect Internet, resume anti-virus
+ on command IE re-opened with + close IE
+ reboot with disc in CD_Drive
+ boots to text screen

so far soo good

Can't find anything called Maxtor Powermax Advanced Test or Memtest. Where do these hide?

Had to switch off at wall to reboot. Reboot Windows OK.

George Carlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back