Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Program Specifc Environments??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
US
I have a Win2K machine that I'm building for one of my users.

We use two seperate versions of the same program.
Each version has a license file that is located in seperate locations on our server.

The way each version of the program gets to the license file is thru environment variables. Currently, the user has Win98 with a startup menu (thru Config.sys) that configures the environment based on his choice at bootup.

Is there a way I can have the system 'create' an environment for each version of the program when it is loaded? I remember that when you create a DOS pif, you can modify the environment. Can this be done with 32 bit apps?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
trp

Environment variables can be dynamically "SET" in WIN2k. You might create a wrapper program that uses the "SET" command to set the environment variable prior to lauching the application. Trigger the wrapper application with icon#1. Trigger an identical wrapper program that "SET"s the environment variable differently from icon#2. Educate the user as to when to use each icon.

There shouldn't be one, but, if there is a problem with timing you might put a delay statement in the wrapper to wait a little prior to lauching the main app. Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.
I guess I was 'overthinking' this one.
What I did was create a shortcut to 'command.com' and then edit the shortcut to point to the desired program instead of 'command.com'. I then created a text file with the SET commands and pointed the shortcut to it (i.e. AUTOEXEC.NT).
It worked perfectly.

Thanks again,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back