Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with MSC and Expansion Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rj2506

Technical User
Jun 10, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have recently been asked to add an expansion unit to a BCM 400 3.0. I have installed several of these in the past and haven’t had any problems before, usually it’s a simple plug in and away you go. However on this system I can’t seem to get any MBM to work in the exp unit. If I insert a DSM32+ in any slot on the exp unit without the ‘special’ 5m patch lead the status light flashes Red and orange. With the lead plugged in the status light is solid green. However when I plug a phone into it the phone just flashes as if it is booting up.

I have tested the DSM32+ in the BCM400 and it works perfectly. I have also tried 2 other expansion units that I know work and I still cannot get the module to work.

I think it could possibly be a faulty MSC however I don’t want to swap it unless completely necessary.

Has anyone had any other problems like this?

If I do need to swap the MSC is there any way I can keep the programming?

Thanks,

Are you sure the Dip switches are set right and don't conflick with any other Mods?

PS I forget to ask, Did you reboot the system? it won't work unless you do.

Hi,

i think you must try the "special" 5m cable.

As LJDirk said you must use the correct lenght cable or it won't work.

Yeah I have used 3 different Expansion units including the original, each come with the 5m shielded patch cable. I have powered the system off, connected everything and powered it up. I have also checked the dip switches and they are ok the module works perfectly when its put in the main unit!

I've just got an email back from Nortel basically saying that the expansion port on the MSC must be faulty.

Is there any way that i can swap the MSC without having to reprogram the system?

Thanks,

Swap it and see if it is the problem, you will need to have any Keycode regenerated for the new MSC.

Replace the MSC and transfer the existing keycodes to it by going to the Nortel site to regenerate keycodes to the new system ID. When replacing the MSC follow the instructions in the manual as you need to connect thru the serial port to upload the new core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back