Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Dates Refreshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

john434

MIS
Mar 17, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I came accross this today and found it rather strange. I was wondering if any of you have had the same problem and whether or not you were able to solve it?

I have a spreadsheet where several sheets link to a date (reporting month). The date is specified on a 'Control Tab'. When i amend the date on the 'Control Tab' the other sheets don't seem to recognise this and don't refresh.

Even when i go TOOLS-OPTIONS-CALCULATION and hit calc now (F9) the date doesn't change. the only way i have been able to refresh this is by double clicking in the cell which contains the link (='Control Tab'!$B$1) and then hitting enter.

The 'Control Tab' date is formatted dd/mm/yyyy and the linked date is formatted mmm/yy should that make a difference.

Cheers

what about edit, links, update links?

have u checked how the cell is formatted?

- onedtent Onedtent OnedTent OnedTenT

Trying not to answer posts that have been replied to

Hi,

In Tools > Options > Calculation Tab is Calculation set to Manual?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a group touring the Crest Toothpaste factory got caught in a large cooler, headlines read...
Tooth Company Freeze a Crowd! and
Many are Cold, but Few are Frozen![tongue][/sub]

Thanks for your replies,

No fraid not Skip, Calculation is set to automatic.

Any other idea's

It is a very large workbook, could this be a reason?

I had a situation once where large workbooks did not recalculate automatically in an older version of Excel. The problem disappeared when our company updated to Office XP.

do u have a circular reference somewhere?

is it possible u have more than 65536 dependencies amongst all the worksheets?

try CTRL-ALT-F9 (full calc)
or CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F9 (calc with dependencies rebuilt)

and see if the links update

- onedtent Onedtent OnedTent OnedTenT

Trying not to answer posts that have been replied to

Both CTRL-ALT-F9 and CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-F9 seem to force the refresh and the links then update fine.

Not sure of the actual cause of this problem still, but that seems to be a viable solution.

Thanks all for your help!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back