Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems after installing SAVCE 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexengland1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2004
US
I upgraded to Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition version 10 on my Windows 2003 SBS server late last week. Well since then the server has rebooted on its own every morning at 7AM, as well as everytime our Backup tries to run. The problems did not exist prior to the SAV upgrade.

I am pretty sure SAV is the cause if these problems, but I am unsure as to how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

I am running:
SAVCE 10.01
WIN 2003 SBS
Veritas(Symantec) Backup Exec 9.1

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, since it has now been alomst a week since I have had a good backup. Thanks!

I have a similar problem using NTBackup. Everytime I run the backup, the server reboots. It might not be an SAVCE problem.

No blue screen, just a straight reboot with no logs.

Windows 2003 SBS
Dell PowerEdge 1800

I discovered another tidbit of info for this problem. Hopefully it will help someone else. I was fighting the same problems everyone else has. When I called Symantec, they gave me the same info about the Symevent file update along with instructions to apply service pack 3 and hotfix #278467 for Backup Exec.

The third fix, and most crucial in my circumstances, was a Microsoft Article pertaining to a memory leak in the Shadow Copy service in Windows Server 2003. As most of you probably know, Bacup Exec uses the Shadow Copy Service when running backups. I noted that there were several items in the event log pertaining to the shadow copy service right before the server would fail.

If you want to get the hotfix, you have to call microsoft as it isn't one of their publically downloadable files. You can read Microsoft's article by going to Microsoft's home page and searching for article number 870973. It should be the first document in the results list, titled: "A memory leak occurs in an application using the Volume Shadow Copy Service on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003"

Anyways, hope this helps. I know it did for me. As a matter of fact, I purposefully signed up for this forum just so I could post this info.

Thanks,
CoffinBound

This is mainly for the newbies, but... this one other thing I wanted to mention but forgot to. If you read down thru this thread, some of you are saying that the server blue screens and some are saying that the server just reboots. This might be the same issue since you can configure what you want windows to do on a fatal error.

You can view how your server is configured by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties, then click the advanced tab, then select StartUp and Recovery button. You will see a checkbox titled "Automatically Reboot". If checked, your server just reboots, if unchecked, it halts on the blue screen.

Sorry for those of you who already knew this.

CoffinBound

Regaurding memory leaks, I was having issues with my Domain Controllers after the upgrade. After a few days they would become non responsive with non paged memory pool issues. So I started traking with poolmon and found that NtFC kept climbing. I couldn't find any info on what that was attached to besides NTFS.sys (I looked for days and called Symantec)so I finally called Microsoft. They connected it with Symantec autoprotect and an internal document containing a workaround. Sort of frustrating when a known issue is out there and not put on the web site. Anyway, I thought I would add this so if anyone is having issues with a memory leak on thier DCs they can call Symantec for this workaround while a fix is hopefully finished. I had to give the tech at Symantec this info before he got me to the relevant engineers working on the issue.

Summary:
=======
Users are unable to connect to the DC due to 2019 non-page pool memory errors. The Problem occurred after upgrading to Symantec Anti-Virus version 10.x

Cause:
=====
You may see the tag NtFC, which belongs to the NTFS.SYS, allocating up to 100 MB of NonPaged Pool Memory.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

*** Resolution ***

Workaround
==========
The problem is due to Symantec's Server Autoprotect. From Symantec:
The NtFC memory leak is a side-effect of a feature that was added to AutoProtect 9.5. It occurs when files are accessed on a mount point. The AutoProtect team is aware of the issue and is already working on a fix.

In the mean time, customers can disable the AutoProtect feature with this tool
(Provided by Symantec):
1) Put SAVRTICFG.exe in the Symantec AntiVirus directory (the same directory as the file savrt.dat)
2) Open a command prompt
3) Change to the Symantec AntiVirus directory
4) Run the command:
SAVRTICFG.exe ICFG:OpenScanningMode 0
5) Reboot the machine

Keywords: 2019 NonPaged Pool Ntfc Save Symantec

It seems that all these problems started when I upgraded to NAVCE v.10.

The reason I upgraded in the first place is because Symantec System Centre would not communicate with other "managed" PC's. Symantec said that the upgrade would solve the problems of the PC's being "off-line" continually.

I think I'll reload v.9 until these bugs are worked out by symantec and microsoft. I just can't get the server to manage the PC's so I'll have to set them up as unmanaged.

Any thoughts?
David.

Why dont you just install 10.1000, do the Symevent upgrade, and then install SP1 to Backup Exec 9?
If you dont have Backup Exec 9 then you have nothing to worry about. I know a few other companies around here that have installed it with no problems because they dont use backup exec.

Not to dispute you, Captain, but if you have BackupExec 9.1, you really should apply SP3 along with the hotfix that I mentioned earlier. If you check out Veritas' web site, you will see that there is a potential security issue if you don't apply the hotfix. When I called Symantec for my issue, they HEAVILY recommended it.

CoffinBound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back