Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems after installing SAVCE 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexengland1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2004
US
I upgraded to Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition version 10 on my Windows 2003 SBS server late last week. Well since then the server has rebooted on its own every morning at 7AM, as well as everytime our Backup tries to run. The problems did not exist prior to the SAV upgrade.

I am pretty sure SAV is the cause if these problems, but I am unsure as to how to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

I am running:
SAVCE 10.01
WIN 2003 SBS
Veritas(Symantec) Backup Exec 9.1

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, since it has now been alomst a week since I have had a good backup. Thanks!

Does the computer blue screen when it crashes, before it reboots? If so, what's on the screen? Are there any entries in the Windows Event Log saying what might have happened, since you know what time it happens?

There are a few blue screen errors that could cause reboots that are conflicts between SAV 10 and other programs (Roxio EZ CD Creator comes to mind) but nothing I could really identify without more information.

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Nope! No BSODs, no Event Log entries, nothing outside of the standard "The previous system shutdown at XX:XX was unexpected" after the server comes back up.

Basically the test I did this afternoon was to start up a backup job. It gets done with its preprocess fine, but the second it actualy tries to start the backup process, the server hangs and then reboots.

I read an article about a DLL becoming unregistered by the SAV install, I reregistered the said DLL but the problem still exists.

All other attepmts to fix this issue have failed at this point. I'm kind of at a loss. My only other option is to uninstall SAVCE 10 and reinstall 9, but there is no guaruntee the problem will not remain.

- Is "Opened for backup" checked in auto-protect options > Advanced?

- Is the location to which you are backing up excluded (if it's a hard drive)?

- What's the last thing in the Event Log prior to the unexpected shutdown entry?

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

There were no entries prior to shutdown. It was completely out of the blue. Apparently there were some DLLS or some other shared files that SAVCE 10 modified.

I have since uninstalled SAVCE 10 and reverted back to SAVCE 9. This seems to have fixed our problem for the interim. I will be contacting Symantec to get further info into the possible cause of this issue. Thanks for your help.

I have a Windows 2003 SBS Premium Edition server with Veritas Backup Exec v9.1 that has exibited the exact same issues ever since we upgraded from Symantec v10.0.0.359 to v10.0.1.1000.

It seems to be related to Volume Shadow Copies because when this was enabled on the server, it rebooted after every VSC ran. I disabled VSC, but one still runs at 7am so the server reboots after that.

None of our backup jobs were completing after the upgrade either. I contacted Veritas and they had me install BE v9.1 Sp2. This got the backups working again.

I did open a case with Symantec, but they were of no help, but that was over a week ago & I haven't gotten back to them yet.

Let me know if you find anything out.

Thanks,

Rick

Let me in on this boat!

2003 Server, Veritas 9.1, Installed 10.0.0.359 and didn't had a slight problem with pushing it out to one of my other servers so I called tech support.
Tech support said .359 is bad news bears and 10.0.100 fixes everything. Soooo, I installed 10.0.100 and bingo, problems galore.
Reboots with a blue screen every night when the backup tries to run, however I am not here and cant find what the stop message is.

I used the SCSCleanwipe utility from Symantec and wiped version 10 from my system, then I reinstalled 9.0 and it is playing nicely with 2003 and Veritas.

I also hate how they changed the exclusions tab for autoprotect and custom scans... Typing out the folder names is ridiculous.

Are either of you seeing huge hidden .tmp files appearing? They might have names like _vxfiVspCacheFile_0.tmp (where the 0 is an increasing number). If so, then updating Veritas should fix it.

I suspect that they changed the exclusions tab so that people could exclude directories that don't yet exist. That's the kind of change that some big customer somewhere probably demanded. Still, you'd think they'd keep browse functionality around...

See my reply to another similar post. Yes, updating symevent may resolve your issue. You are getting a stop 8E right?

Sorry, I did not read this post thoroughly before I posted a new one that sounds the same. I have the same issue BSOD with brighstor. I went to SAV10.1 this past weekend and 2 servers get bsod everytime backup started. Another sav10.1 server is fine. these are all Windows2003 servers. I am afraid to update the other servers or my other site. If I find out anything that helps me, i will share it with you. thanks

Oh btw, Betty. Can you post what the full name and version of your backup sofware is? That would probably help out a lot of people if it turns out that symevent does resolve it.

That new Symevent thing was what Tech support told me to install to fix a problem on 9.0, not 10.0. Does anyone know of anybody that had to install it to fix the BSOD on 10.0.1000? It says nothing about it in the article.

Ah well, what the heck, I'll be a guinea pig. I've reinstalled 10.0.1000 on my exchange server, it used to crash and burn every night.
I rebooted, installed the new Symevent thing, rebooted again, and now I play the waiting game.

Well, it's T-2 hours before crash time, I'm going home, I'll let you know how badly it fails in the morning.

If this doesn't work, I'm reverting to 9.0, or maybe I'll upgrade Veritas to a new Service Pack first. Either way I'll find a workaround.

Did you know that Symantec (at least the licensing/tech support people) are only running version 9.x? That's confidence right there! Let the customers work out the bugs and crash their systems before upgrading!
Grrr...

I am using Brightstor 9, Build 2020. I had the bsod issue on 2 Windows 2003 servers (don't have service pak1). Another WIndows 2003 server is fine - - go figure! I tested the symevent fix on one server and have run several backups. After updating the symevent.sys went from rev 11.6.2.4 to rev 11.6.4.1. I have another production server to try this one, but can't get my hands on it until Friday evening (8/5). I will update this issue after I know for sure.

Bingo. That worked.

Well, at least it worked for me, I'm sure there's someone out there who it will not work on, but upgrading the symevent using syminst.exe worked for me.

I hope this helps someone else out there, now I've just got to find out why my liveupdate wont work.

Good luck!

Yes replacing the symevent did fix the SBS 2003 blue screens for us.

Here are the steps to upgrade per Symantec Tech Support. Some of the dll's won't be in the locations indicated (just ignore).

Step 1: Remove the current installation of SymEvent

1. Go to and select C:\Program Files\Symantec.
2. In the right pane, select and delete the following files:

S32evnt1.dll
Symevnt1.dll
Symevnt.386
Symevent.sys

3. Navigate to the C:\WinNT\System32 folder (Window NT/2000) or the C:\Windows\System32 folder (Windows XP/2003).
4. In the right pane, select and delete the following files:

S32evnt1.dll
Symevnt1.dll
Symevnt.386

Note: If any of the above files doesn't exist, simply move on to the next step.

5. Go to the C:\WinNT\System32\Drivers folder.
6. In the right pane, select and delete the Symevent.sys file.

Step 2: Reinstall the version of SymEvent downloaded above
Open a command prompt, and change to the folder where you downloaded the Sevinst.exe file.
Type the following:

sevinst.exe SAVCE
Restart the computer.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks,
Rick Johnston

Rick Johnston
Information Mgmt. Systems
Fargo, ND

As promised, here is my current progress. Updating symevent appears to have fixed the server crashing problem. And remember the one server I said never crashed during backup? well it did between these posts. I patched that one too. I've gone 3 days without crashes so I hope this is a good sign. I am hesitant to update any other servers or my other site. I only saw this issue on Windows 2003 Servers - not my Win2000's but I am updating symevent anyway. Now onto my next Symantec issue!

thank you everyone for your posts. this forum was better than any communication I had with Symantec support and Computer Associates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back