Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Second Storage Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
A couple of weeks ago we had a catastrophic power failure and unfortunately I haden't gotten the new UPS software up and running.

My newly installed copy of Exchange 2007 seems to be having problems. It's running on Server 2008 x64. I am getting ESE events 9518,454,492,413, and 485 to start out with, but I am sure my problem is with a single file.

When I check the properties on the E01tmp.log file in the second storage group (a file pointed toward in most of the events above) it shows an unknown owner. When I try to take ownership as administrator I get access denied. Because of this ACL problem with the file I am not able to mount my Second Storage Group.

I am assuming that it was being accessed by something, AV or Backup at the time of the power failure and its ACL became corrupted.

First off, can I delete this file? The storage group is dismounted if that makes a difference. Secondly, does anyone know how I can delete this file? Anything I try on it leads to access denied. I've tried rebooting, stopping Exchange services, etc...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yeah I've checked all the Technet stuff as well. Everything points to permission problems on the storage group. This one file is the only part that has incorrect permissions. The 9518 event even pointed to an access denied on the e01tmp.log file. It should be owned by Administrators yet it's ownership is displayed "Unable to display current owner." If I try to set the proper ownership, as administrator, I get an access denied error.

Can't rename, "you need permission to perform this action."

Take ownership of the file first then OK out of that then change the permissions.

When I try to take ownership as Administrator I get "access denied".

Domain admin (the domain Administrator account). The file is on a Domain controller.

Exchange 2007 on a domain controller isn't supported for this and other reasons.

Domain Admin is not always and Exchange Org Admin. Try one of those users if you have not...

That shouldn't make a difference taking ownership of a file though.

No, It shouldn't. Can't hurt to try though.....

Zelandakh...

Exactly. I think the file's ACL is corrupt. Like I said in the original post, we had a catastrophic power failure. That may have caused this file to screw up.

I was unaware that Exchange wasn't supposed to be run on a Domain controller.

I am assuming that I can delete this file without problems as long as the storage group is dismounted? I'll have to boot from a Linux CD and delete the file that way if necessary. I'm not sure of any other way to go about it.

Installing Exchange on a DC causes all sorts of troubles including OOF errors, autodiscover problems, file problems...

Jetly...

I tried with an Exchange Org. Administrator and I am having the same problem. "Access Denied" no matter what I try on the file.

I'd say that your problems are caused by Exchange being installed on a DC. Despite the fact that it WAS working, it now isn't and that is possibly due to issues caused by the DC.

UGH!

You know, I'm sure the issue was cause by the power outage. The batteries on my UPS drained out and the server Exchange is on powered down without a proper shutdown. It worked before the outage and not after. The First Storage Group which contains my mailboxes works fine.

One other way to try and delete would be to put the HD in an external enclosure and try taking ownership on an XP machine.

Also, I'm sure you have most likely tried this already, but if not, try deleting it over the network. May work if the problem is local to the machine.

I must also say that I agree with these other guys who say use another server...Exch 2007 should not be on a domain controller. I'm surprised it even installs successfully with all the quirks EX07 has about performing checks before installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back