Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Second Storage Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
A couple of weeks ago we had a catastrophic power failure and unfortunately I haden't gotten the new UPS software up and running.

My newly installed copy of Exchange 2007 seems to be having problems. It's running on Server 2008 x64. I am getting ESE events 9518,454,492,413, and 485 to start out with, but I am sure my problem is with a single file.

When I check the properties on the E01tmp.log file in the second storage group (a file pointed toward in most of the events above) it shows an unknown owner. When I try to take ownership as administrator I get access denied. Because of this ACL problem with the file I am not able to mount my Second Storage Group.

I am assuming that it was being accessed by something, AV or Backup at the time of the power failure and its ACL became corrupted.

First off, can I delete this file? The storage group is dismounted if that makes a difference. Secondly, does anyone know how I can delete this file? Anything I try on it leads to access denied. I've tried rebooting, stopping Exchange services, etc...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jetly said:
One other way to try and delete would be to put the HD in an external enclosure and try taking ownership on an XP machine.
Um. No. Not unless you have a credit card ready for a PSS call. I would never recommend taking a drive out of one box and putting it in another, expecting to take it back to the first and want it to work.

Exchange 2007 has to be able to be installed on a DC since it's part of SBS and EBS.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Exchange 2007 *can* be installed on a DC but it isn't a supported installation. It has never been supported or recommended to put Exchange on a DC unless you are using an SBS deployment.

I resolved the issue. Another reboot cleared out the bad file and remounted my Second Storage Group. Thanks for all the help guys.

Great - we all scratch our collective heads and the solution was to turn it off and on again!!! :)

Good that it got solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back