Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with fox2.6 for DOS and Win2000 Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rargi2002

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
AR
hello friends,
i have recently migrated from win98 to win2000 server. My application in fox2.6 for DOS runs very slowly under windows 2000 server. The mouse pointer doesn't work properly on screens or any object.I was told to add in the config.nt the following sentences
FILES=220
BUFFERS=80
but it does not help to accelerate the application.
Please any help will be appreciated.

thank you very much in advance

Ramon

Hi,
try to start your app with .pif file, in which you should a little play with settings:
- max. amount of extended memory
- screen and mouse settings
I had to run a FPD2.6 app in Win2000profi and experienced the same problems. Modifying PIF I solved it, but I don't remember any more how.
HTH

FPD (and other DOS Apps) can cause heavy CPU utilisation under the NT kernel operating systems, i.e. NT, 2000, XP. This is due in a large part to their continual keyboard polling. I find the best solution is TameDOS from Tame Software. You can also alleviate it by setting CLOCK=OFF in CONFIG.FP.

See link below also.

Need help running those old FoxPro apps on modern systems?

you can do 2 things:

1. go to and take a 30 days trial program. It can solve your problem (+printing problems +...), or

2. rightclick on each foxpro 26 program icon, "properties" - "misc" and put "idle sensitivity" to high. You can also try Windows 98 (or 95) compatibility.

Regarding your use of the mouse.....

You might want to read: thread182-61168

Good Luck,

JRB-Bldr
VisionQuest Consulting
Business Analyst & CIO Consulting Services
CIOServices@yahoo.com

thank you very much friends for your help

Ramon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search