Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem to uninstall applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

moro2003

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
Please help how to solve problem to uninstall don't wanted applications.This fenomenon started after problem created from Zone Alarm
block of my PC.I was unable to uninstall this application in the normal manner through Ad-Remove and I was forced to clean Zone Lab files and registry entries manualy.
Now when attempting to uninstal some application receiving in WISE UNINSTALL window on the Desktop message:
-Could not open INSTAL.LOG. file-
PC is checked against viruses, troyans and other kinds of pests- all is clean.
Probably some of the files are coruppted.
Please for advice what I can do
Thanks,

Seems that this inconvinience is a problem that MS should solve in the future.If I must reinstall my OS XP SP-2 every time when incountering similar problem then......
That is why MS has Beta testing.... but they (MS) are not responsible to correct the other companies problems...use MS help with some problems such has [Zone Alarm] [/quote]
Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer.
View products that this article applies to.
[snip] If you install this program, you receive a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" error every time your computer starts.
ZoneAlarm 4 Zone Labs 64-bit (NX) If you install this program, you receive a Stop error every time your computer starts.
ZoneAlarm 4.5x Zone Labs 64-bit (NX) This program does not install. If you try to install it, you receive an "8e" Stop error every time your computer starts.
ZoneAlarm 5.0.590 Zone Labs 32-bit and 64-bit (NX) When you try to remove ZoneAlarm, you receive a Stop error message or your computer restarts before the uninstall program finishes.
[snip]

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

[snip] There are many programs that are no compliance with SP2...that is why MS has the knowledge base so that ppl can check as see... Zone Alarm is just ONE OF MANY...

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Agree with you s0121, but but what we can do - not all of us are experts and if one Company as Zone Labs confirms that their product _51_011 ia compatible with XP SP-2 then...
Any how I send them today e-mail asking advice what to do to remove their apps from mmy PC and I can guarantee you - ZA products no mere will be installed in any computer in my hands.

Have a look at these keys too and also at the Vsdatant.sys and VsMon.exe files that are referred to in them. If you get rid of the keys and the files it should knock out the True Vector part of Zone Alarm."

Did you try deleting the keys that mention Vsdatant.sys and VsMon.exe and did you try deleting the actual files?

Have you tried deleting the HKLM Run Value from Safe Mode and also have you tried using RegEdit instead of RegCool?

Didnt try to delete the actual files Vsdant.sys and VsMon.exe.Afraid to do this to don't demage something else.
Please be more precise regarding keys to be deleted.
Yes I try also RegEdit but not from Safe Mode

Have a look at these keys too and also at the Vsdatant.sys and VsMon.exe files that are referred to in them. If you get rid of the keys and the files it should knock out the True Vector part of Zone Alarm.

These Keys - delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsdatant
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon

These files - delete

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\vsdatant.sys

They are what runs and drives ZoneAlarms True Vector Service and don't apply to anything else. By the way did you ever try just stopping and then disabling True Vector in Services?

If you backup the files and registry keys before any deletion you can always put them back.

Try to delete keys for vsmon and vsdant in Safe Mode using Regedit but deletion rejected
In System32 cutted-paste on spare folder all files Zone Labs including vsmon.exs but vsdant NO -Access is denied because used from another....
In Services for True Vector status is stopped but when try to desable -Access is denied.Actrualy in StartUp i have no more Zone Labs Client but before 4 days deleted programs Tini Firewall and Pest Patrol -i.e. Registry enties for those two apps.
Surprise after surprise ...enough to become crazy

From the Zone Alarm how to uninstall.1. Uninstall Information

Zonelabs provides different installations for different operating systems,
We suggest you follow the Zonelabs uninstall directions.

Uninstall information for Windows XPHope that helps...since it is known that ZA has XP problems..

gunslinger.gif

I take it you are an Administrator user still?

Have a look at Subinacl.exe as demonstrated in this thread.

Full Administrator Rights
thread779-1031464

If that doesn't work I'm beginning to think along the following lines.

What about throwing in the Towel and admitting defeat and starting with a format and clean install of your very sick system. Besides, this web page is driving me mad too, trying to read everyone's long stretched skinny posts. Backup any valuable data first then see see this article.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup.

Last chance prior to admitting defeat..I hate (Format)
I would try SFC /scannow..then run install to repair XP...(think it is 3d option). then shutdown - Restart see if
it works.. if answer is NO then try last option prior to Format. Reinstall XP using the latest CD which is not the same as REPAIR..it will say Delete this version of windows and install... this leaves your programs intact ( some will need to be repaired - re installed to work) most will be usable.

gunslinger.gif

Following ZA instruction for Manual Uninstal at the end all ZA including True Vector is cleaned for ever from my comp.
At this moment remains 1+3 obsolete entries in the Registry from regularelly uninstalled apps:
-From Tini Firewall in HKCU/Run -one entry "AMonitor"
-From Pest Patrol in HKLM/Run - three entries
CookiePatrol
PestPatrol Con
PPMemCheck
Probably some kind of connection beween them and ZA before.
Try to delete them in Safe Mode and in Normal Mode but one time deleted value appears after again.
Also try to reinstall Tini Firewall but at the middle of installation process stops reporting some kind of problem and then that should be closed.
I hope we succseed to solve ZA problem and this what remain will be solved too.
Thank to all of you for your assistance and help -I hate to be defeated too

Since you have several entries that are (seeming ly) attached to ZA still. there are several programs that will remove bad references... You can DL & try the programs w/o buying them... 1. I recommend is System Mechanic by IOLO ... it removes junk, bad links, & also has reg cleaner...DL & try prior to buying... then MS also has a very old REGCLEANW95. it works very well on XP SP2, several other Reg Cleaners (Free to test) work well others tell you where the problem is but does not clean unless you buy.

gunslinger.gif

Are these 2 pieces of Software running as a service in Services and therefore require the Service to be stopped and Disabled?

-From Tini Firewall in HKCU/Run -one entry "AMonitor"
-From Pest Patrol in HKLM/Run - three entries
CookiePatrol
PestPatrol Con
PPMemCheck

Tried all sorts of Registry Mechanic, Cleaner ,Editor, Cool ect- all of them reporting removal of obsolete entries but they appears again.
Besides those two Apps are uninstalled from my PC this strings in some way are still there in the Registry.
Don't know how to check whether they runn in Services- for ZA was True Vector Service but for them ?
In Start Up both Apps are checked as they are normaly installed and running.
Loaded Subinacle.exe but unable to proceed-try to create new folder and stops at that point.
Today when started PC received message:
"Generichost Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close"
szApp name: svchost.exe szAppVer.0.0.0.0.
@linney ,
can you adress me where to search Those two s/w in Services , please- to stop them running.

I am not familiar with those two programs, I don't even know if Pest Patrol runs as a Service, I imagine Tiny Firewall would though.

Run MsConfig from Start Run, click on the Services tab and put a tick in the box to "Hide all Microsoft Services". This will give you a list of the third party services on your machine.

You can temporarily stop them from running via MsConfig, but the proper and correct procedure is to Stop then Disable them from Services in Computer Management itself.

This two programs are not listed in Services.In StartUp list -YES
I uncheck them there but after PC starts in Selective mode and thoese two programs are checked again automatically.

RegMon.

See if this program can be configured to tell you what is going on in your Registry.

Look at the free trial of this program RegDefend too, you can use it to monitor specific keys and prevent any changes or creation of a key.

RegDefend

Just out of interest what non-Microsoft services were mentioned in MsConfig?

@linney,
Unfortunatelly all those Registry Apps in my case are useless.
I was suspiciuous that remainings from Zone Labs creates this problem, but after throughout clean up following Zone Labs received instructions and removing all residues, this problem with PestPatrol and Tini Firewall in StartUp and Registry remains.
Re what is in Services after Hide non MS Services combox is checked:
-Acronis Scheduler Running
-Avast!AVS4 Control Ser Running
-Ati Hotkey Poller Stoped
-ATI Smart Stopped
-avast Antivirus Running
-avast Mail Scanner Running
-avast Web Scanner Running
-TuneUp WinStylerThem Stopped

Finally I've succseed to solve problem of removal a/m problematic entries from my Registry.As I mentioned befor one of my installed apps was Ad-Aware with Ad-Watch.Don't know how ,but properly this Ad-Watch blocked registry entry removal.
After deletion of whole Ad-Aware end removal of obsolete entries, now finaly I can say that all is O.K.
Now i have not installed any Firewall apps or some sort of shild during stay conncted on the Internet.
I am afraid of those "fantastic" apps as ZA,Tini Firewall,PestPatrol, Ad-Aware and so on.
Dont know whether Windows Firewall and genuine MS Security are enough but I have installed all Windows patches and updates.
Thanks to all of you for assistance and help maybe this my experience will save somebody from headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back