Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing Driver for USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronan

Technical User
Jan 11, 2006
ME

From technical support of Verbatim asked and received Driver for Verbatim Win 98 SE USB 2.0 retractable flash drive (abt . 5 MB).

When unzipped the file in XP SP3 ( I have dual boot machine), all content was shown as normal with right icons , bat after transfer the file into Win 98 SE using Windows Explorer, on my big surprise found two CAB files-Dat1 and Dat2 represented in ZIP form and unpacked.
After try to unpack those two CAB files received a message they can not be opened because they are not in Standard Microsoft CAB format (as defined in mid-1998).The “ signature bytes “ required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing.
Informed by e-mail tech. support of Verbatim, but no reply.
Found on Google that many people faced similar problem with other appliances , but could not find how to fix it.
Why XP SP3 read this file in right way, while Win 98SE-no.
Any assistance, please.

I've done this , but after tranfering folder from XP to Win 98 SE using Windows Explorer, and afetr reboot in 98Se, found those two CAB.files as ZIP.files.
As I explain, started driver install with Setup file, installation finished ( but with empty folder in C:\Windows\Program Files for this driver ), ask me to reboot and after reboot all stoped ( with or without USB falash drive inserted ).
On the sam machine ( 98SE) , successfuly installed drivers for LG, Apacer and Transcendent Jet Flash uSB drives.
For this Verbatim -NO.

Generic divers for this type of Verbatim -v. 47331 can not help.
I repeat, my basic problem is because 98 SE not recognize two CAB files of this driver -USB Product Driver v. 2.39r015.
Two CAB files remain as ZIP files ( unpacked ) and this is a message what I am receiving:
"they can not be opened because they are not in Standard Microsoft CAB format (as defined in mid-1998).The " signature bytes " required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing."
Does any one can help how to solve this problem, please.

I must be missing something here, but why is it you would not unzip the original file received from Verbatim while Win98SE is running instead of XP?
Unless you do not have internet connectivity from Win98...

Also, note that you can install generic USB drivers on Win98 and never need another device-specific driver.
I have used this successfully with Win98SE and have not had any issues.

Good luck.

I am not alone having this problem - you can see here:
ired+by+the+MS+CAB+specification+are+missing.%22&m eta=
Te internet connctivity from Win98Se all is O.K.
As I already stated above , generic drivers don't work with this kind od Verabatim USB retractable drive v.47331
If you have the same USB Flash Drive as mine, please try it on your machine and let me know results.

OK, I looked at several of the posts, but all I see is people trying to open CAB files using Winzip - and they are not supposed to. Some CAB files cannot be opened with Winzip or Windows Explorer - even though they are CABs, they are not Microsoft CABs.
Next.
The fact that Windows lists these files as "ZIP" type does not mean anything, they can be listed as "text type" for all Windows cares - this is only for your viewing pleasure.
The important part is that setup program finds these files where they need to be during the install, that's all. So, this is not the problem.
Unfortunately I do not have the same device, so I cannot try it, however, I went on Verbatim website and downloaded a driver for testing - "v2.37r010 - Verbatim3.zip" is the filename. I have Win98SE system to play with.
In the beginning I was not able to open it using Win98SE built-in "Extract Wizard" - my Explorer crashed and left me with only one CAB file in the extraction folder. I was able to actually figure out why - in my case this was due to spaces in file name, I renamed the file and extraction worked just fine.
Also I was able to open and extract the driver file without any isues with Winzip 9.0SR-1.
After I ran the SETUP.EXE installation program, it installed and created me an empty folder in "Program Files", which does not mean much. You really do not need anything in there. The important files go under WINDOWS\SYSTEM and WINDOWS\INF.
After reboot I did not have any issues - no freezing or anything like that.
And then I was able to easily uninstall the driver. As I mentioned, I do not have any Verbatim device to try.

So, it seems to me that you have some kind of conflict with your drivers. The fact that CAB files are listed as ZIP is not your problem.

Good luck.

The important part is that setup program finds these files where they need to be during the install, that's all. So, this is not the problem"
All what you described above is equal as my situation.
After running Setup it ask me to reboot, but then nothing happend.
Inserted Verbatim USB Drive , go to Device manager, found yellow exclamtion sign, go to Update driver for this device, but after pointing to folder where the Driver is unpacked - system reject to open it i.e. to install the driver.
So onlt way to have right picture is to try USB retractable drive v.47331.

OK, you can actually try this: when you update the driver, try pointing to the following 2 folders:

c:\windows\inf

or

c:\windows\system

I have seen this work on several occasions.

And I do apologize that I keep bringing this up, I know you already responded to this several times, but I just have to ask - when you say "generic drivers don't work with this kind od Verabatim USB retractable drive", how do you know?

Have you actually tried any of the links above? Or this information comes from Verbatim support?

Please, note, that you were offered several links to different type of drivers. The one from "Tommy" is really a generic driver that works with multiple devices. The one from me is not really a driver, it is a set of system files that enables OS-level support for USB under Win98, more like you have under WinXP, it is not related to a specific type of device.
I would suggest to try these, as you have nothing to loose - worst case - you will be right where you are now.

Good luck.

Already tested yours for Win 98SE and one from Tommy, they don't work for this Verbatim retractable.
What is realy funny Verbatim Techical support and assistance do not react on my post- their last advice was to unpack ZIP folder in 98 SE and then install the driver.
I don't know how the people don't understen what I posted above:
-Two CAB files remains as ZIP files and they can not be opened because they are not in Standard Microsoft CAB format (as defined in mid-1998).The " signature bytes " required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing.
Unfortuanetelly Verbatim stuff don't like to read this and make necessary changes on drivers they send to the people who buy their products.

@ BOKA,
Thanks so much for your assistance and efforts to help me.
The Driver I received from Verbatim Technical Support for my USB Flash dive is USB Product Driver v. 2.39r015)
After several attempts to install it on my Win 98 SE ( all times failed) at the end received this from Verbatim stuff:
"Dear customer,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are very sorry but we do not have an another driver. The driver works perfect for all customers.
Please contact the producer of your computer or Microsoft Support direct.

Best regards
Verbatim Technical Support"

Only way to check their statement is to try to install and test this driver on another machine with Windows 98 SE . i.e . possibility to install it.
I understood you have OS 98 SE, so please try to install this driver on your machine and let me know how it pass.
Will be grate also if you can test USB Flash drive .

If this is still an issue...

Bronan, I would try your driver, but I was not able to find it on Verbatim's site.
Can you post a link or steps to find it on their site?

Thx

either use the .exe that BadBigBen recommended
or
locate the .inf file in the unzipped driver from verbatim, right click it and choose install (flash drive not connected)

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

@BOKA
For this driver you need to contact Verbatim Tech. Support and ask for driver v. 2.39r015.
To contact Verbatim you can use link posted from BadBigBen

File size is abt. 5 MB

@Lemon13,
There is no any "inf" file in unzipped driver from Verbatim

@BadBigBen will try what you advice and let you know the results.
Thanks for your assistance.

@BadBigBen try what you advice, run the exe from unzipped driver file, driver was installed ( or it's part)- asked from me to reboot ,rebooted, inserted USB stick which was not recognized.
In Device Manager besides USB Mass Storage Device found yellow exclamation sign - click on it and in the Properties found
Device Status
The NETKERN.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load device driver (Code 2.)
To fix this click Update Driver to update the device driver.
At the end reported there is no better driver.... finish
In Program Files found empty folder of this driver, so with only one remaining option- uninstalled this famous driver.
Only way to check if this driver really can be installed is
someone else try to install it .

Bronan, thanks for the added information there, that helps in fixing the problem... it is actually not a driver error as per say, but rather a BUG in the Vmm32.VXD driver loader...

Windows 98 Driver Bug Fix

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Hi Ben,

These are some additional informations and questions:
-After "install" driver> reboot> insert the Verbatim USB stick, in Device Manager appear USB Mass Storage Driver with yellow sign and after click on Properties found this Driver File Details:
Driver files

|-Ufd.sys
|-C:\Windows\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD [netkern.vxd]
|-C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\Drivers\Ufd.sys

Provider: File not installed

File version: File not installed

-What means this "Ufd.sys"- somewhere found that Windows 98SE SP1a, should be installed on the PC- I haven't this CD.
-Regarding extarction , does all files has to be extracted, or only that one with "netkern"
- I forgot how to extract and install files from Windows 98SE installation CD and wher are CAB files.
This became to much complicated issue - I am very sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back