Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem installing Driver for USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronan

Technical User
Jan 11, 2006
ME

From technical support of Verbatim asked and received Driver for Verbatim Win 98 SE USB 2.0 retractable flash drive (abt . 5 MB).

When unzipped the file in XP SP3 ( I have dual boot machine), all content was shown as normal with right icons , bat after transfer the file into Win 98 SE using Windows Explorer, on my big surprise found two CAB files-Dat1 and Dat2 represented in ZIP form and unpacked.
After try to unpack those two CAB files received a message they can not be opened because they are not in Standard Microsoft CAB format (as defined in mid-1998).The “ signature bytes “ required by the Microsoft CAB specification are missing.
Informed by e-mail tech. support of Verbatim, but no reply.
Found on Google that many people faced similar problem with other appliances , but could not find how to fix it.
Why XP SP3 read this file in right way, while Win 98SE-no.
Any assistance, please.

Ben,
Extracted files netkern.vxd according instructions from your previous post, but driver for Verbatim can not be installed.
No changes.

is the Win98SE all up to date?

if not consider updating the OS first, then going at it again...

in case it is not, here are all the updates in one package:

UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 2.1a (Freeware)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Hi Ben,

Installed Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 2.1a, then driver v. 2.39r015.
Reboot, inserted Verbatim USB stick and this time hardware was recognized, driver data base was created, blue light on Verbatim USB stick start lightening and I received a message :
“Windows is installing the software for your new hardware”, but before that immediately after inserting Verbatim USB stick , received “New Hardware found
1394/USB Disk.”
I was sure this time problem was solved , but on my big surprise besides of message” Windows is installing the software for your new hardware” , nothing happened, system froze and if I try to change anything- BSOD appears “ A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028: FF13F22E in VXD USBSTOR (01)…..
Does this means that this driver is wrong or not proper for my USB stick, or……
As the people from Verbatim confirms that this driver is right one and problem is my Win 98SE, remains only one thing to do- to test this driver from some of colleges still using 98SE.

bronan, from all the research I have done on that, it sounds like an IRQ problem, where the IRQ is either taken up by another device (shared) or it is not getting an IRQ at all...

also it could be that the BIOS may not be configured correctly, e.g. USB ports may be activated but LEGACY SUPPORT may not be...

or you may need to update the CHIPSET drivers for your particular mainboard, or reinstall them after the update it would be recommended...

here are is a troubleshoot link I dug up...

USB Troubleshooter
General.htm

Ben

Ben, how come Mass Storage Device 2.0 works perfect for other brands USB sticks like Apacer, LG and Transcend ( Jet Flash)- only for Verbatim we have problems.
If the BIOS is not configured correctly, then other USB devices will not work.
Regarding IRQ problems, this can not be verified in actual stage as after insertion of USB stick, system get frozen, so any other kind of further investigation is impossible.
Re my mainboard, I have last update installed.
With my full respect for Verbatim, I have serious doubts for this particular driver.
USB Troubleshooter
General.htm link is dead.

Bronan, I can't tell you more than what I have found, unfortunately (or maybe fortunate) I do not have a Verbatim USB stick to try my luck with in installing it on a W98 install...

as to the LINK, try to COPY and PASTE it into the URL (address bar) of your browser, the FORUM software chopped it up a bit, thus it is not working...

or CLICK on HERE!!!

Ben

Ben, thank you very much for assistance and help m'8 and also for very useful link from your previous post.
Will make some experiments ( in Safe Mode) just to see if patches dloaded from the LINK will help to fix this puzzle called Verbatim USB 2.0 Device.

Ben,
Try with patches , no joy.
I am receiving "New Hardware found
1394/USB Disk."
What this means- seems this is not Driver for Verbatim v.47332
, 4GB (blue).
I can not believe the people from Verbatim sent me wrong driver.
As I mention in my preivious posts , they sent me
USB Product Driver v. 2.39r015.
Now I have "New Hardware found
1394/USB Disk.", but this to my opinion is not corresponding with USB stick.
By mistake I asked them to send me the driver for v. 47331 - not for 47332 ,( but I mention my stick has 4.0 GB capacity)
I don't believe that there are two different drivers just for different USB stick capacities- 2.0 or 4.0 GB.
Any how I must admit I am defeated.

Bronan,

"New Hardware found 1394/USB Disk." is W98's way of saying that it recognized a USB device...

and I too, do not believe that there are two different drivers for different capacities, but rather different types, e.g. flash or HDD...

like I said, unfortunately I do not have a Verbatim USB device to test with... and am sorry to hear that it defeated our concerted effort to get it to work...

Ben

bronan,

If one USB flash drive is giving this much trouble, it's just not worth it. Smash it, toss it, eat it (well, no, don't eat it), and just consider this a learning experience. [wink]

If you want a replacement, they are pretty cheap. Especially considering how long you've tried to fix this one.

Sometimes, things just die, especially electronic things. [wink]

In that above link, the Patriot XPorter line of drives take at least the top 2 spots. I can say from experience, they are very nice USB drives. The best of them is the 64GB Xporter Magnum, but you can't currently find it (I don't think) for under $100. If you need one, and don't need a huge amount of storage, then the smaller ones are great. [smile]

What I personally look for in a USB thumb drive is one that is a major brand (it's not worth messing with generics), and one that has decent read/write speeds. In my opinion, the write speeds are most important, b/c it's very common for a drive to have pretty good or very good read speeds, but horrible writes speeds. The Xporter line from Patriot have good speeds, both directions (not at same time - that's a USB flash drive limitation).

And that said, if you have very large files, I'd just go with an external hard drive anyway. I consider it a lesson learned. I transfer several RAW .WAV PCM audio files each week between computers. I can have as much as 4GB at once to transfer at any given time. I was using a USB flash drive - even Xporter series, and that was better than the last one. It took me usually at least 5 to 10 minutes for that transfer.

Now I use an eSata external hard drive, and the same exact transfer never takes more than one minute. I IS HAPPY!

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

@ kjv1611,
This question is no matter of money or something similar.
Verbatim is big and respectable producer and if they declare for some of their products is compatible with certain OS, then this should be true.
I understood this as one personal challenge, primarily to check my Win 98SE as the people from Verbatim Tech. Support stated that the reason why USB stick is not recognized my faulty Windows 98SE.
I can not guarantee 100% for my PC. But if USB storage devices from other producers are recognize and working without any kind of problem, then the cause is somewhere else why this one no.

Have you tried this same USB flash drive on any other computers? Or at least with other Operating Systems?

Really, my point is this: When those things are so stinking cheap these days, if you're a business, you're wasting your time investigating something that's worth $15 new out of the box, if you're spending more than an hour on it. Regardless of all the details, if it were me, chunk it or destroy it, move on.

Think of it this way: If they can send that thing through the whole manufacturing process, and have some sort of robots/machines doing some of the work, some people doing some work, and then there was the initial design, etc.... and they sell it for $10 or $20... why in the world would you also even expect them to "stand by" that one product more than they already have?

We don't live in a perfect world - things mess up, go wrong, and break. And if that something is worth practically nothing, why worry about it. The worry/stress you cause yourself will cost you more in medicine/doctor visits due to stress than it would cost to replace it 10 times.

Just trying to keep things in perspective. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Not to mention that you are using an operating system that is about to be superseded for the 5th time!!!

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back