Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xpmessed

MIS
Nov 8, 2004
CA
I am trying to install my printer onto my computer after installing SP2 and doing some clean up, when i try and install I get an error saying that my printer spool is not running. When I try and start my print spool I get the following error
Error 1068: The dependiency service or group failed to start.

can anyone help

According to the Print Spooler service requires the RPC service to be enable to run

Check to see that this service is active then start the Print Spooler service again.

As a side note the RPC service is essential for many different functions, see for a full list

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

I checked my computer and it says that my RPC is started and correct, but I am still receiving the same error message, any other suggestions. thank you though, I am closer than I was before.

It is dependent on RPC and the DCOM Server Process Launcher service.

Now I have aproblem with my drivers, when I try and install them it seems ok but at the end of the task it says unable to install driver. what can I do now, not having a printer really sucks.

Please see my notes on a related issue. It details exactly the steps I would take first for your own problem: thread779-950905

I tried to follow your thread and cleaned computer of all the pritner definitions and tried to reinstall the printer and still I acnnot do it. on the thread it says to make a new port and name it something but I do not know where you are getting the name or how to name mine. Please continue to help, I am so close I can feel it.

Now that the drivers are clean, try a regular installation of the printer with its CD. You should also check the website of the manufacturer to see if newer drivers are avaialble.

One other thought, as it comes up here quite a bit, is that your SP2 upgrade did not re-enable your USB ports, and you are trying to install a USB printer.

If so:

. Start, Run, devmgmt.msc
. Expand the USB ports section of Device Manager
. Find the "Root Hub" entries -- there will be more than one
. Right-click each an select 'Uninstall', it will ask you to confirm this.

When you restart the computer the New Hardware Wizard will reinstall the Root Hubs. When this completes, try a regular installation of the printer on your now (due to the earlier use of cleanspl.exe) computer.

Thnak you for all your insight, but unforunatly nothing has worked. I am now thinking of resorting to a format option that I would have liked to avoid but leaving my laptop by my PC to print is just getting a little tiresome.

Thanks

Are you logged on as the "administrator" or do you have a profile that has admin rights?

Best Regards,
David Tracy

I have tried both admin options to install the printer, why do you have an idea because I am open to sugestions

Couple of things to check.

1) Start > Run > Services.msc > Click OK > Double Click on Print Spooler > Click on Dependances Tab > What is listed Here? Should just be RPC (at least it is on my machine)

2) Start > Run > regedit > Click ok > Navigate to key below > Value Should be "RPCSS"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler\Dependonservice

3) Start > Run > eventvwr.msc > Right click on Application > Select Clear All Events > Repeat Process for System Entry > Try and Start Print Spooler Service > What errors appear in the Event Viewer now?

Greg Palmer

Thank you
I did what you said and here are my findings:

when I do the services.msc and look under the dependances tab I find nothing

When I look in regedit under spooler I do not have a dependonservice tab

any other ideas??????
Thanks again

Open a Command Prompt window with Start, Run, CMD

sc config spooler depend= RPCSS (note the space after depend=) and press enter.

net start spooler

exit

Thank you

I did what was suggested in the perious thread and then tried to install. I got further then ever before and was able to connect the USB cable. At this point I got the following message:

16 bit Window Subsystem

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.

Close Ignore

When I Ignore nothing happens and I have to close the window because it stops responding. When I click close it closes. I do not know where to go from here.

thanks this is all helping to get me to the end and have aprinter that works.

Installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 on an otherwise "healthy" Windows XP system may delete the AUTOEXEC.NT file. As a result, when trying to run certain applications which make use of 16-bit technology an error message like the following may be displayed: "16 bit Windows Subsystem - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

The error message can be misleading, because it is displayed even if the AUTOEXEC.NT file is actually missing.

To verify whether you have the file, type "%windir%/system32/" in the address bar of an Explorer window. If there is no AUTOEXEC.NT file proceed as follows:

Browse to "%windir%/repair/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\repair")
Right-Click and Copy the AUTOEXEC.NT file
Browse to "%windir%/system32/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\System32")
Right-Click inside the window and Paste the file
The error condition described here may also be the result of corruption of the AUTOEXEC.NT file, in which case the above procedure may be helpful to restore a valid file.

Corruption of the AUTOEXEC.NT file has also been related to virus programs. You may want to virus-check your system with one of the following free tools:

Trend Micro Housecall - Panda ActiveScan - Microsoft has several Knowledge Base articles on this issue, including the following:

Error message when You Install or Start an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows-Based Program - An Error Message Occurs when You Run an MS-DOS or 16-Bit Windows Program -
Greg Palmer

Quote: "Installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 on an otherwise "healthy" Windows XP system may delete the AUTOEXEC.NT file."

Source?
I have never seen this happen.
I don't doubt you, but I am curious as to a link or whatever to the issue.

I think your resolution steps above are perfectly apt.

I agree I have never personally seen this issue, however I got the specific text from
I have also see references to having Avast Antivirus installed and active when installin SP2 can cause this, however I have Avast and did not experience this problem.

Greg Palmer

Rule #13 in installing the Service Pack 2 upgrade: disable the antivirus software before starting the upgrade.

As I said, I have seen issues with the Autoexec.NT file, but have not seen SP2 removing it.

My advice - set the autoexec.nt file to Read-only.

Well I have just did what the previous thread suggested and I have gone farther than ever, I am able to fully install the software but at the very end in my system tray the icon that appears for you to
"Safely remove a USB component"
comes up with a message that says
"there was an error in the instalation of your device. parts may not function corretly" --> or something to that effect.

sidebar: when I moved the Autoexec.NT I saw at the very end for a second something about my print spooler again that looked the same as in my previous post

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back