Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print from dBase IV to a Network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamYSA

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
AU
A follow up to Thread 779-678849

I have a SOHO network of 3 XP computers all running dBase V (DOS) netowrked through a router with a print server atatched. We have one printer attached to the router through parallel port and one is a network pritner attached by ethernet cable.

Can I use the NET USE command to print from dBase V to either or both of these printers. I read the posts about NET USE and couldn't work out what the server name should be.

Would appreciate any help, am getting very tired of printing to tect files, opening them in Word and printing them!

This is a strange solution, but it works.

Because you are using a router, there is no server, so here is how I solved the problem. You will have to do this with each computer you want to print from, or set up just one machine that is always on.

Say the PC's name is MyPC and the printer is MyPrinter. Under control panel / printers, right click, options, and share the printer (even though it is a network printer already), and share it as Testing.

The netuse command will read

net use lpt1 \\MyPC\TESTING /persistent:yes

I hope that helps.

ChaZ

There Are 10 Types Of People In The world:
Those That Understand BINARY And Those That Don’t.

Thanks ChaZ. Works like a charm, wish I had known this earlier, all the grief I would have saved!!

Glad to help. Took me a few days to figure that one out also.

ChaZ

There Are 10 Types Of People In The world:
Those That Understand BINARY And Those That Don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back