Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dBase iii+ Do While problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

joewillerols

Programmer
Dec 29, 2020
US
[pre]BWCHECK is a field name of type character with a length of one.
The only value I want entered is T, b, B, or N.
This is the code I've written. The problem is that BWCHECK will accept any value.
It then exits and goes onto the next field.
Help!

Tks,
Joe

do while ((BWCHECK <> "T") .or. (BWCHECK <> "b") .or. (BWCHECK <>"B") .or. (BWCHECK <> "N"))
@ 2,2 GET BWCHECK
read
exit
loop
enddo[/pre]

Hi BenskieV,
I agree with you that all information is beneficial. Perhaps you could create a Forum for Clipper.

Clipper is similar to both dBase and FoxPro so it would be a useful addition.

Clipper was created as a replacement programming language for Ashton Tate's dBASE III, a very popular
database language at the time. The advantage of Clipper over dBASE was that it could be compiled[6]
and executed under MS-DOS as a standalone application.

Hi BenskieV,
You have repeated what you stated in your previous post.
This is not the forum for continual information on Clipper. This forum is for answers to dBase queries.
Many people/companies are still using old software quite happily. So it would be a positive step to create a forum for Clipper for Clipper users to benefit.

However, dBase has some commands not valid for Clipper...

Rociano,

That is why Nantucket Corp created Clipper because Ashton-Tate, the creator of Dbase III Plus did not make great commands and functions. They tried to upgrade to Dbase IV but the design and stability were so poor that many users switched to other products like Clipper, FoxBASE+ (later renamed FoxPro), and other so-called Xbase products. Dbase III Plus is only very useful when it comes to Database Management using the dot-prompt (. prompt) interactive command set but not well in programming. That is why even the simple question of joewillerols (Programmer)(OP), Dbase III Plus could not easily do it but Clipper Summer 87 or newer version can.

I'm sorry if my comments may not be favorable to other programmers here. You are all free to continue what you have started. If you really love Dbase III Plus Programming, then just continue. And if you try other programming language, it's more beneficial because you will gain more knowledge and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back