Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent file copy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDCfishkiller

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2003
US
All-

I need help in figuring out the best strategy in securing a shared 2k3 folder. The contents of this folder are over 300K word documents (.doc).

Goal is to prevent the following from happening:

1 – Prevent users from modifing the documents and saving them as something else. Such as MS Word's function of "Save as..."
2 – Prevent users from coping these files to local drives.

* All clients access this folder are running windows XP

My plan to solve the 1st problem is to use Adlib express server to convert all documents into .PDF files with security set on each document to only allow view and print. However, this does not stop a user from coping these files to your local drive or CD.

Any advise would be helpful.

So what rights should the user have? Are they supposed to be able to read the docs?

You could put the files in a directory on a web server and lock down IE so they can't save.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I currently have READ-ONLY as directory rights. Would I just enable "WEB SHARING"? If so, how will it handle the configuration of preventing coping?

-Fish

Hi Fish,

What I was suggesting is that you use IIS to give the users access to the files.

Create a web site in IIS. Create a virtual directory and point it to the source of your PDF files. Use ASP to dynamically list the files and create links (I can help with the ASP if you need it).

Seperate from that, lock down IE in your domain with Group Policy. Remove access to the SaveAs feature.

That should do it.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks again Mark,

Could you please assist with the ASP portion?

- Fish

Here you go. This looks in the folder downloads2. Change that for your directory name and you should be good to go.

Code:
<%@ LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" %>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="The Spider's Parlor">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<TITLE>Customer Support Download Page</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!--
This page created by Mark D. MacLachlan, The Spider's Parlor
-->

<table height=100%>
<tr>
	<td bgcolor="84A5C6" width=17% height=100%></td>
	<td valign=top>

<%

set directory=server.createobject("scripting.filesystemobject")
		set allfiles=directory.getfolder(server.mappath("/download2/"))

' Lists all the files found in the directory
		For each directoryfile in allFiles.files 

%>
			<a href=/download2/<%
			' Write out the name of the document
			response.write server.urlencode(directoryfile.name) %>><% response.write directoryfile.name %></a><br>
		<% 

' End for next loop to list documents
		next 

%> 

</td>
	<td bgcolor="84A5C6" width=17% height=100%></td>
</tr>
</table>

</BODY>
</HTML>

Regards,

Mark

Mark-

Can you give me a little bit more instruction. I have never created an ASP page from scratch before. This is what i did and got error 500.

1- Opened notepad
2- Pasted your code
3 - saved as index.asp
4 - created virtual directory in iis that points to a directory called reports. Inside that directory is the file index.asp and a folder called "download2"
5 - moved a few.pdf documents inside the folder download2

Any pointer.

- ROOKIE PROGRAMMER

It sounds like you have set this up correctly. Verify that you have enabled ASP on your site as it is not turned on by default.

Regards,

Mark

Mark-

FYI - It worked like a champ. I had to move it to a production server, tweak a few IIS settings. Next thing you know there it is all the reports listed in ASP.

Thanks for all the help!!!

- Fish

My pleasure. I use that script a lot, comes in VERY handy when making dynamic pages.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back